GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vargas Turbo Build - 2017 GTI SE

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
Alright, here I am 1 month and $1500 later. Just got the car back from the shop. Ran great for a mile and then threw the EPC code on the way home. It's the wastegate actuator again!

They are a good shop, but work on BMWs mostly. Tony walked them through the process of setting the actuator yesterday. They installed the turbo with an IS38 actuator Tony put on it and at least got it going. It's now measuring 3.7v. Looks like it's close.

I'm going to let it cool down and see if I can't just set the thing myself. I'm hesitant to take it back to the shop where my car was sitting for 3+ weeks.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
If the voltage is set correctly, should just be a matter of running the adaptation through OBD11.

Shouldn't take more than a minute if so.

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
I don't think the voltage is set correctly. I think that 3.745v is high. I'm going to drop it to 3.6v and see if that does it.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

H22hatch

Ready to race!
I agree with Diggs, don’t get too hung up on the actual voltage once everything is working correctly. UM set my car to a much higher voltage and the car runs perfectly fine. Car went in set exactly at 3.5 and they had the shop tuning it adjust it that high up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
I just shoved my phone back there to see how many threads were showing on the rod. If 10 is the correct number then it looks good.

The replacement turbo went straight from Vargas to my shop, so I did not get to take good shots of it like I did the original. Hopefully, those are not defects, but I cannot confirm. I guess we’ll see...

Going to try setting the actuator again tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MadMen

Ready to race!
I just shoved my phone back there to see how many threads were showing on the rod. If 10 is the correct number then it looks good.

The replacement turbo went straight from Vargas to my shop, so I did not get to take good shots of it like I did the original. Hopefully, those are not defects, but I cannot confirm. I guess we’ll see...

Going to try setting the actuator again tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would check the code first. Not all EPC codes are related to the actuator.