GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vargas Turbo Build - 2017 GTI SE

jaymkvii

Passed Driver's Ed
Which way are you turning the rod? I just did this to my car, laying down below the turbo, feet at the front bumper. Turning towards the front bumper lowered my voltage. I used VCDS

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Navi

Autocross Champion
I think Diggs is giving the best info. Really try to get it sorted before having to go to the dealer. My friend had the same issues, went to the dealer and the couldn't get it and charged him for it. On top of that they may or may not have TD1 flagged him and said the rod was bent. Who knows if it was bent from install or from the tech trying to adjust it. And this was all LAST WEEK!

Navi

Autocross Champion
Also, I keep forgetting if this is an is20 or is38 actuator. I know you mentioned it before but I'm super busy at work so I can't search the thread... but I have been told resting is 2.66 for is20 by josh (and lexi), and for is38, seems forum consensus is 3.6

dan little has also told me this about the is20: "With the wastegate fully pushed in then its 3.5v . The thing with these is that they dont rest in the closed position. I have bench tester and they should all be around 3.5v when fully closed. That may translate to 2.6 v when resting."

keep trying, you'll get it. Curious why no one uses a small box wrench from the bottom? Isn't there enough room?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
dan little has also told me this about the is20: "With the wastegate fully pushed in then its 3.5v . The thing with these is that they dont rest in the closed position. I have bench tester and they should all be around 3.5v when fully closed. That may translate to 2.6 v when resting."

Not a bad idea. Pop off the DP and push the flap in and see if voltage moves. If voltage doesn't move then your actuator is toast.

jaymkvii

Passed Driver's Ed
And do it from under the car. No way your going to get it to turn from up top. I jacked up the passenger side and was able to do it

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
I don't see any way to get it from the bottom with the downpipe installed. I really don't have the ability to jack the car up, remove the downpipe and go at it from the bottom. Just being honest.

I agree the dealer may not have the ability to help either. I stopped by a Porsche speed shop Thursday (an APR dealer). They wanted me to leave the car, but were clulueless whem i explained the issue to them, so I said no thanks. The owner, a german guy, was a real scheisekopf too.

Supposedly, the dealer has a mechanic who can do it. I will try to talk to him before I leave the car as I can also envision getting charged by them with no results. I thought worst case I pay for a new actuator, perhaps an IS38 one, and have them install it, but I bet Diggs is right when he says they probably just replace the whole turbo when the actuator goes bad etc.

At least the car can drive and I am afraid to mess it up to the point where it cannot. If anyone can recommend someone in the Atlanta area, a good VW speed shop perhaps, who could help I would greatly appreciate it. I'm going to research this a bit, but I AM VERY DEPRESSED RIGHT NOW and even my family is keeping their distance...

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

jaymkvii

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't see any way to get it from the bottom with the downpipe installed. I really don't have the ability to jack the car up, remove the downpipe and go at it from the bottom. Just being honest.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Jacked my car up to take pics. But it was possible in my situation to do it from under the car. I adjusted it with needle nose vice grips. 10mm wrench for the jam nut. No need to remove the down pipe.

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
So, having caught my second wind I went out there and tried again. One cool thing I learned is that you can actually see the rod if you look through the coil packs. Being able to see where to put the needle nose helped immensely. It also allowed me to see the rod turn, which gave me confidence.

However, I immediately noticed that the rod was turning with the jam nut, which is probably what explains why I keep getting the same reading. I turn the rod, put the jam nut down and then everything would be right back where I started.

Then, in my attempt to unjam the jam nut (as it were) the whole end came off the waste gate, so now I'm pretty much f---ed!

MadMen

Ready to race!
OP has a sport with PP. much more difficult to get to it from underneath.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
You mean the whole thing came off? Not just the rod end, but the entire arm from the turbo?

:(

Is that photo straight out of the box?

It looks like it's sitting uneven on there. I know it's not the same turbo, but my arm looks much straighter than that.

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
Just confirmed with Tony Vargas that I broke the weld. He says to ship him the turbo and he'll give me a new housing. Say's he'll take a look at my IS20 actuator and sell me an IS38 one if needed. Bottom line: I have to pull the turbo and ship it to California and wait for a new one... Fun fun.