GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vargas Turbo Build - 2017 GTI SE

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
Hi,

I'll be documenting my big turbo build here on this thread. I just unboxed my VTT turbo and have included a few pictures below. A little about me and my car: I'm a 52 yo Army Veteran currently working as a professional photographer near Atlanta, GA. I've owned and modded a few cars in my day, but this is my first VW. It's a 2017 GTI SE that I purchased in January 2019 with 6K miles on it. Let me just say that I LOVE this car! Fun fun fun AND very practical running around to various photography gigs with my equipment and maybe even a second shooter or two. That all said, it took me about one week before I started modifying it.

The first thing I did was get rid of the all-seasons and put some Michelin Super Sports on it with some ECS wheel spaces/studs. Next, I installed an APR intake and COBB OTS Stage1+ and DSG Tunes. Recently, I installed an MAP downpipe (catted and resonated) and the MAP Stage 2 tune. The DP sounds awesome and the tune is pretty good. However, I'm taking this car to the track soon and looking to make a bit more power. Here are my plans for this big turbo build:

VTT GC Turbo - Rolled the dice a bit on this new product. We'll see what it can do...

BMS Intercooler - OEM replacement type

USP Drop-in High Flow Fuel Pump

Denso Colder Iridium Spark Plugs.

I'll need a new tune and I'm talking to Jon from 5150. Honestly, I would like the UM software, but I'm a bit invested in COBB at this point and don't have an extra $1,600 at this point. Perhaps, later(?) when I go e85 with upgraded high pressure fuel pump and injectors. For now, I'm planning to just run 93 pump gas.

I'll be updating this thread with the build progress, dyno chart, and track results when I get them. I know some of the vendors I've chosen have sparked heated debates on other threads. This one is just about my build and experiences. Thank you!

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I'm not gonna lie, albeit Tony is a little interesting at times, that snail looks like a really, really nice piece of kit.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Looking forward your results with this turbo. Also probably you will need to upgrade your engine/transmission mounts.

AdrianNikonian

Passed Driver's Ed
Bump to stay in the loop...curious on this build too

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
Just an update: All of the parts are in except for the BMS intercooler that should be here Thursday. Still shopping for a new tune. Read 100 pages of the Stratified thread earlier today:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38527&highlight=stratified&page=99

They seem interesting and I like that they can provide both an E30 and a 93 Pump Gas tune (for a bit extra). I have a question out to Jon from 5150 if he can do the same. They also have their own DSG tune whereas 5150 just sells the OTS Cobb DSG tunes that I already have, albeit here's nothing really wrong with these. I just don't believe they are optimized for a car that's probably going to be putting down close to 400hp soon.

I really wish I could afford the UnitedMotorsport software as that seems like a "one and done" type purchase where I can change fuel types and compression as I continue to upgrade. Love some of the other features too like setting the launch control RPM with just a tap of the brake in park. I haven't been too impressed with the Cobb interface for this. I'm finishing my tax return this week, so perhaps a miracle will allow me to drop $2K+ on UM software. It also occurred to me that I can probably sell my AccessPort with DSG support and MAP tunes on eBay to recoup a bit of my money.

Finally, while waiting for the "go fast" parts to all come in, some of my engine bay dressing arrived from China. I put badges on my new carbon fiber engine cover and installed it and a lower engine cover today. Here's a pic. Excuse the pollen that is really horrendous here in Georgia right now...

CrossFit67

Ready to race!
Decided to add a Spulen Catch Can to my build to upgrade the PCV system. I’d read conflicting points of view on the need for this, but decided it was probably needed after researching it a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’d suggest looking into EQT for the tune. He’s the only tuner I haven’t heard mix reviews on and he’s also offering multiple files for different fuel as well.

Interested to see how VTT stacks up in the real world vs Littco and EQT