GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Piping Upgrade -- Should I do It?

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Differences would be minute, but having installed new aftermarket parts you'll believe your car is performing better, so your perception will be your reality. :unsure:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Not saying they will blow. Thinking more of how they may have deformed over time from constant swelling and contracting.
You're overthinking this one. If you plan to go hybrid at some point and you're doing other work (like an IC install) then definitely do it. If you're staying IS20 it's a waste if time IMO.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
you will see zero benefit with an is20 turbo and the stock parts worked fine very reliably for me for a very long time before I upgraded. on a >400whp setup though EQT has told me you can gain 5-7whp with the EQT piping and maybe better spool.

if you plan to go with a turned up is38 or larger turbo then get the EQT piping, don't get ECS or some of these others, some of the weak ones have bad fitment and can knock against the block causing the ECU to think there is engine knock and pulling timing.

the only benefit with the piping kits on an is20 or <380whp car is that it makes the turbo sound slightly louder.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
you will see zero benefit with an is20 turbo and the stock parts worked fine very reliably for me for a very long time before I upgraded. on a >400whp setup though EQT has told me you can gain 5-7whp with the EQT piping and maybe better spool.

if you plan to go with a turned up is38 or larger turbo then get the EQT piping, don't get ECS or some of these others, some of the weak ones have bad fitment and can knock against the block causing the ECU to think there is engine knock and pulling timing.

the only benefit with the piping kits on an is20 or <380whp car is that it makes the turbo sound slightly louder.

Disagreeing with the "zero benefit" statement for the same reason as with the claim with the TIP.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I did an IC install with the stock piping and the lower left hose kept getting knocked off. So I changed the piping out with an ECS kit and don't have that issue anymore.
Charger pipe.png

Last edited: