GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TRULY reliable rear sway bar and end links

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
hello team! I have an EQT tuned 480whp mk7 with lots of goodies. Bought it stock at 30k miles and it has been turned up as a commuter weapon for ~70k amazing miles now as the car has nearly 100k miles on it today and the car has been remarkably hassle free at this power level and easily one of my favorite cars I've ever owned including lots of different fancy sports cars.

I got a 034 rear sway bar with superpro end links back near 35k miles and to be honest it has been an ongoing hassle. I am about to remove the entire setup and looking for something that will be no hassle forever but with similar stiffness to an 034 rsb set to max stiffness.

Granted I live in a land of pot holes but originally the 034 setup broke the welded bolt spots off the subframe from increased stiffness, eventually got titanium bolts which could be cranked down harder, and repaired the subframe, then the 034 bushings wore out surprisingly fast and caused clunks and had to be replaced twice, then the bushings in the superpro end links broke and fell apart after about 10k miles, and then I went back to Moog end links which would only fit the 034 rsb at the soft setting, which I prefer the max stiff setting much more.

Now i have yet again some other clunk in the rear from the sway bar because of god knows what, and so I am about to remove it all entirely, light it all on fire in my neighbors front yard, and replace it all with something that is same stiffness as 034 set to max stiff but will last forever. I do not care about the cost within reason because am so frustrated.

I know this has been covered endless times, but for those of you with lots of miles on your RSB setup, what do you all recommend for a very stiff rear sway bar with end links that will last forever?

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I'm using Moog endlinks with an ST 25mm solid RSB. Only issue I had was my passenger sway bar bushing bracket snapped, I think it was material defect though.

Purchase a new bushing mount and bushing and haven't had any issues since. Bushings have Teflon tape inside which is nice. Moogs have a zerk fitting to grease them. I do it once a year.

Make sure to fill and flush the moogs on install if you go that route. They come lightly prefilled with grease for shelf life. Need to flush on install and annually after.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I'm using Moog endlinks with an ST 25mm solid RSB. Only issue I had was my passenger sway bar bushing bracket snapped, I think it was material defect though.

Purchase a new bushing mount and bushing and haven't had any issues since. Bushings have Teflon tape inside which is nice. Moogs have a zerk fitting to grease them. I do it once a year.

Make sure to fill and flush the moogs on install if you go that route. They come lightly prefilled with grease for shelf life. Need to flush on install and annually after.

that's interesting that the moog end links fit that ST solid bar. I swear I could not get them to fit the stiff setting on the 034 rear bar but maybe I'm just an idiot.

good point on fill/flush the moog at install.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I think you are asking for too much, and if you are breaking suspension or frame components you need to rethink your setup.

it is not unprecedented for big stiff sway bars to over stress factory mounting locations on the mk7 platform and on other platforms. This issue is exactly why Neuspeed makes this bracket and mk7 race cars frequently have modified and reinforced rear sway bar mounting setups.

https://neuspeed.com/products/neuspeed-race-rear-anti-sway-bar-support-brackets-451092

The metal is very flimsy there and the nuts on the back of the sway bar bracket bolts are simply tack welded onto the thin metal subframe. Those thin welds can sometimes brake and then the bolt moves around and ovals the hole and messes it up. Fixable but super annoying

my rear setup is just an 034 rear sway bar with moog end links currently. Nothing exotic. I find 034 products generally to be very low quality and the moog end links do not reach the full stiff setting.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve had my H&R 26mm RSB & Moog endlinks four years / over 60,000 miles with ZERO issues.

IMG_2189.jpeg

Reactions: krs

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Neuspeed rsb and Moog end links here. No issues outside ensuring everything is tight and grease once in a while.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
H&R bars have Teflon-impregnated bushings. Silent after 3 years of beating including track use. Moog links work well. Have 034 adjustable now.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
So far having a good time with the Moog endlinks in the rear. I pump in new grease and pump out old grease 3-4x a year (which is prob way overkill). Paired with the ECS rear sway that also has re-greaseable bushings. Have been on this setup for 1.5 years with regular autocrossing.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
26mm H&R rear bar and Moog end links have been fine for about 15k mi and something like 12ish days on track?

When I installed the H&R bars I put a bit of silicone grease inside the bushings anyway. Helps them to move much smoother, though this isn't absolutely necessary and I probably wouldn't both for strictly a daily.