GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPC Ball Bearing IS38

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Can someone please explain to me how the bearing system has any impact on how much boost the turbo will hold while staying efficient?

Hint: it doesn't. The reason we and most other tuners taper boost on an IS38 is because the compressor wheel is not efficient at higher boost levels at higher RPM's. Holding boost up there only creates heat and can actually reduce power. This has nothing to do with the bearing system and everything to do with the compressor wheel being completely tapped out.

-- Ed
a
Can someone please explain to me how the bearing system has any impact on how much boost the turbo will hold while staying efficient?

Hint: it doesn't. The reason we and most other tuners taper boost on an IS38 is because the compressor wheel is not efficient at higher boost levels at higher RPM's. Holding boost up there only creates heat and can actually reduce power. This has nothing to do with the bearing system and everything to do with the compressor wheel being completely tapped out.

-- Ed
and yet i have 2 friends running pump gas custom maestro files trapping 119 and 120mph. for reference i trapped 114mph on a stg 2 eurodyne file on the same pump gas. I’ll respectfully disagree with you that there is more power to be found on an is38 running higher boost levels than a typical off the shelf stage 2 file.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
a

and yet i have 2 friends running pump gas custom maestro files trapping 119 and 120mph. for reference i trapped 114mph on a stg 2 eurodyne file on the same pump gas. I’ll respectfully disagree with you that there is more power to be found on an is38 running higher boost levels than a typical off the shelf stage 2 file.

I never said anything about about making more power than stage 2 cars. But I guarantee you're not making power from running 27-28psi at 7k RPM on an IS38.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
@THEREALVRT you gotta get this thing on a dyno to see if the power band moves to the right. If you cut me a bit of a deal, I'll jump to test it out. I'll do a baseline EQT Stage 2 file on Petro 94 and a custom tuned version of your ballbearing IS38. Plot twist, Ed tunes it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I call it how I see it ;)

You a whale biologist in your spare time?

futurama-whale-biologist.gif

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

chitownfan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 audi s3
Why do so many DSG performance tunes have you shifting past 7000 rpm if the turbo isn't making power in that rpm area like why don't they have it shift at 6200 rpm or something I am honestly just curious because I know IE is like 7200 rpm shift point which is high

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Why do so many DSG performance tunes have you shifting past 7000 rpm if the turbo isn't making power in that rpm area like why don't they have it shift at 6200 rpm or something I am honestly just curious because I know IE is like 7200 rpm shift point which is high
Because it's easier to have a tune shift out there and let people decide where they want to shift on their own using the paddles.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

And here I am sad because my (current, getting that changed) DSG tune won't let me go past 6500 :cry:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
And here I am sad because my (current, getting that changed) DSG tune won't let me go past 6500 :cry:
Bright side - be grateful that it’s force shifted at 6500 on the current base map and rev1, 7200 with the rate the pressure was dropping from 6 to 6.5k… 7.2k would be PURE butt pucker when the ECU cut your throttle as the safety.

It’s a crazy feeling when it happened - like the car just hits a wall and falls on its face

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Last edited: