GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on motor/transmission mounts?

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
Try using a battery-powered impact gun with a 3/8" allen bit. That's how they are installed. We don't put much torque on it ~35 ft/lbs.

As far as the clutch is concerned, when we did testing we tried various pressure plates and discs to come with a combo that worked. We found that too light of a pressure plate caused issues on a ceramic disc that you were having. You say your replies aren't combative. But, look at how you're responding in this thread.

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’ve had bad dealings with BFI customer service in the past and I actually popped back in here to see if someone came up with an alternative to their mounts or the 034 since I’m overdue. Glad I saw this exchange to remind me what I may be in for (again).

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I’ve had bad dealings with BFI customer service in the past and I actually popped back in here to see if someone came up with an alternative to their mounts or the 034 since I’m overdue. Glad I saw this exchange to remind me what I may be in for (again).
My answer would be dependent on how you intend to use the car.

Do you simply plan to use it as a daily driver or do you also plan to go full send on the track?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
My answer would be dependent on how you intend to use the car.

Do you simply plan to use it as a daily driver or do you also plan to go full send on the track?

She’s just a dad car that likes to haul ass around town and backroads for the most part with some future track or autoX days once I get a little more setup for that (set of 17”s, etc).

I have the cp-e 55A durometer in my cart right now. Probably gonna hit the complete order button before the weekend.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
She’s just a dad car that likes to haul ass around town and backroads for the most part with some future track or autoX days once I get a little more setup for that (set of 17”s, etc).

I have the cp-e 55A durometer in my cart right now. Probably gonna hit the complete order button before the weekend.
CP-E looks like a great choice!
just be sure to get the driver and passenger side as a pair. Also ensure you have a good dog bone solution to ensure it matches the stiffness of the other mounts.

Another one if you didn't already see it:
https://store.034motorsport.com/mot...v-8v-5-a3-s3-8s-tt-tts-vw-mk7-golf-gti-r.html

Agray

Go Kart Champion
just be sure to get the driver and passenger side as a pair. Also ensure you have a good dog bone solution to ensure it matches the stiffness of the other mounts.

Another one if you didn't already see it:
https://store.034motorsport.com/mot...v-8v-5-a3-s3-8s-tt-tts-vw-mk7-golf-gti-r.html
Can we stop recommending the 034 mounts? We have enough evidence at this point to determine they are not a high quality product with all of the reports of collapsing and tearing after a few thousand miles on this forum.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Currently running the powerflex hybrid puck. The cp-e comes in 55A (Their recommended daily) and 70A (Track I’m assuming) flavors. Powerflex is poly I believe, cp-e rubber. I’m guessing the Powerflex may be stiffer than the daily version of the cp-e, though I got the yellow ‘Street’ rated one.

edit: Checked with Powerflex. The durometer of their hybrid puck is 70A. If mixed with 55A upper mounts would there be negative issues?

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
edit: Checked with Powerflex. The durometer of their hybrid puck is 70A. If mixed with 55A upper mounts would there be negative issues?

Im currently using the Spulen dogbone insert as part of an experiment before ripping out the lower puck and going PowerFlex.

Spulen lists theirs at 70 as well and I’m on stock motor/tranny mounts still and it feels great to me. Going by that logic, mixing durometers “shouldn't” have a negative effect.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, so I can learn too!

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Beginning to wonder if durometer even matters in a lower puck when comparing to engine/trans mounts because we (most) don't completely replace both upper and lower parts when we do an insert or even a Powerflex hybrid.

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Beginning to wonder if durometer even matters in a lower puck when comparing to engine/trans mounts because we (most) don't completely replace both upper and lower parts when we do an insert or even a Powerflex hybrid.

From all the research I've read/watched, the dogbone (upper and lower) has the most effect on mitigating the drivetrain movement, whereas the engine/tranny mounts determine how "solid" the connection is to the chassis. The pivot is the engine/trans because it's transversely mounted.

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Perhaps the 70A upper mounts don't feel much different than 55A if you have that mean ol Powerflex in already.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Perhaps the 70A upper mounts don't feel much different than 55A if you have that mean ol Powerflex in already.

It prolly would actually. I feel the engine/trans mounts play a bigger role in NVH than the insert. But the insert plays a bigger role in the "slop" we all feel.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
You definitely dont need to match the stiffness of the engine/trans and dogbone mounts. You definitely should match the engine/trans durometer though.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Just looked it up and they seem to vary quite a bit by durometer in respect to stages. Also useful incase anyone is wondering.

BFI Stage 1: 70A. Stage 2: 85A
034 Street: 50A. Track. 2: 80A
Cp-e 1: 55A. 2: 70A

Powerflex 1 (yellow): 70A. 2 (purple): 80A. 3 (black): 95A

S.villa

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Did you end up getting the cp-e 55 mounts ?
I just ordered some and am wondering which are more comfortable/quiet, between BFI STAGE 1 and cpe-55..