GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on eBay ball bearing is38 turbo?

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!
Thoughts on eBay Power Spirit ball bearing is38 turbo?

Im no expert on the golf turbos but I searched all over and couldn’t find anybody that was talking about this one. What is everyone’s thoughts on it? I saw people getting new OEM Is38 Turbochargers from Germany for around $700 to $800 off eBay but this one seems to be upgraded, no?
And anyone know what’s with “no electronic wastegate”? Could I just use my is20 wastegate or have to buy a new one for this?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254030252681

Last edited:

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Wow dual bb IS38?? Roll the dice and let us know if it doesn't blow after first pull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
I would use this as an aluminum boat anchor.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Sounds too good to be true.

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!

Dual bc they replace both the compressor and turbine side journal bearings with ball bearings, rather than just replacing one side

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I think their intentions are good, and the price is right.. but I would not trust a company like this to be able to properly replace the journal side with a dual bb and keep shaft and wheel balancing in check. Unless they're high speed balancing after install, but I highly doubt it.

Looks like they're cracking open oem is38s and modifying it to run with BB. Then screwing back together. If you can find out if they're being HS balanced up to 80k after reassembly then looks like a steal!

Or its just a misnomer lol China

ashiun

Ready to race!
You'd be surprised how many good parts there are floating around Chinese markets without our knowledge... I mean they get down, news just doesn't make its way to us. I mean we know the Chinese are capable of building good turbos.

But I wouldn't trust this one without more on its company lol

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!
I think their intentions are good, and the price is right.. but I would not trust a company like this to be able to properly replace the journal side with a dual bb and keep shaft and wheel balancing in check. Unless they're high speed balancing after install, but I highly doubt it.

Looks like they're cracking open oem is38s and modifying it to run with BB. Then screwing back together. If you can find out if they're being HS balanced up to 80k after reassembly then looks like a steal!

Or its just a misnomer lol China

Thanks for the useful input. I wish I had more knowledge about turbo building or rebuilding but I will ask general questions about how it’s made and post their replies back on here.

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!
You'd be surprised how many good parts there are floating around Chinese markets without our knowledge... I mean they get down, news just doesn't make its way to us. I mean we know the Chinese are capable of building good turbos.

But I wouldn't trust this one without more on its company lol

Exactly, I hear about people running Chinese “eBay turbos” all the time with great success. However I believe they are usually running a standard T3 universal style.

But just because something is “made in China” I don’t immediately right it off as crap.

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!
Is20 wastegate should be fine. Using one on my IHX475 just fine.

Thank you for the information. I have to read through that build thread on here about the GTI getting an is38 upgrade

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't take the chance personally, but if these prove reliable they could be an awesome option for a daily driver in the IS38 power range.

That's a big if.

Looks like they're cracking open oem is38s and modifying it to run with BB. Then screwing back together.

Nah that's all knock off parts...which isn't necessarily a terrible thing if they're done correctly.