GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Those with o2 spacers and CEL free

ColdFusionWi

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, so as you can see my spacer is not pointing towards the turbo. I'm guessing I want it pointing parallel to the "arrow" on the turbo housing?

While I'm going to get this corrected, could someone please explain to me the logic behind why the way the spacer is pointing would make a difference?

I'm almost to the point of having my local shop plug the existing O2 port and insert a new bung after the cat. This is how the APR dp is set up and if nothing more it will make it a lot easier to test various spacers. Again, I just need it to stop throwing P013E so I can run with no tune and pass inspection. After that I can put my tune back on until I'm due up again next year.

MadMen

Ready to race!
I’m running a CTS catted dp and a Vibrant J spacer with the medium insert and I’m randomly throwing the P013E code (delayed response, rich to lean). Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks and sometimes it takes a couple of days. While I didn’t really care previously (I’d just ignore it and check for other codes periodically) as WI doesn’t have emissions testing, I recently moved to MA and now I have to get tested in order to register my car.

Has anyone run into the same issue and had success moving to the large insert? Right now putting the original dp back on to pass isn’t an option nor do I believe I should need to. I’m still confused as to how the whole testing thing goes with drive cycles, etc.

There should be room to reach down and get the o2 spacer off. You won't know until you try playing with thr spacer. Or go Stage 2!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ok, so as you can see my spacer is not pointing towards the turbo. I'm guessing I want it pointing parallel to the "arrow" on the turbo housing?

While I'm going to get this corrected, could someone please explain to me the logic behind why the way the spacer is pointing would make a difference?

I'm almost to the point of having my local shop plug the existing O2 port and insert a new bung after the cat. This is how the APR dp is set up and if nothing more it will make it a lot easier to test various spacers. Again, I just need it to stop throwing P013E so I can run with no tune and pass inspection. After that I can put my tune back on until I'm due up again next year.

That code is usually from a leak at the DP to Turbo connection. Did you replace the gasket when you installed the DP? I would try popping the v-band off and re-aligning the connection (and replace gasket if you didn't).

I had the same code on my initial install, which was just due to me not fully tightening that v-clamp. That sucker needs to be pretty tight to seal properly.

ColdFusionWi

Passed Driver's Ed
So I very well may be the most unlucky person when it comes to getting this CEL (P013E) taken care of. CTS catted DP with the Vibrant J spacer. For what it's worth, two shops have confirmed that there no exhaust leaks at either end of the downpipe.This is what I've tried so far:

1. Med insert w/spacer pointing to the passenger side
2. Large insert w/spacer pointing to the passenger side
3. Large insert w/spacer pointing towards the turbo
4. Relocated O2 sensor post cat w/large insert pointing upstream (front of the car)

So here are the next set of options I have left:

1. Remove the J spacer and replace it with the 42 Draft Designs spacer I have on hand
2. Skip the spacer entirely, and keep my fingers crossed I don't throw the cat deficiency code

What do you guys recommend I try first? Would a failing O2 sensor cause this code to be thrown? At least now that the sensor is relocated it will be a heck of a lot easier to mess with it.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Use med insert and turn spacer towards turbo - I have never gotten a CEL

ColdFusionWi

Passed Driver's Ed
Use med insert and turn spacer towards turbo - I have never gotten a CEL

P013E means that there's a delayed response, basically it's not getting enough exhaust flow. The 3rd thing I tried in the list above was the large insert pointing towards the turbo and it still threw the same error. Going with the medium insert wouldn't help in that situation as it would be getting less flow.

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
Eurocode catless DP and 42DD spacer pointed towards turbo, about 1500 miles and no CEL nor any pending codes as of this morning

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like a leak

ColdFusionWi

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like a leak

I've thought that right from the beginning but I've been to two shops in the last month and a half and both of them said they couldn't find any leak.

Later today I'm going to try to remove the J spacer and install the O2 sensor directly into the exhaust stream (in the relocated spot) in hopes to throw something other than P013E. If it still throws that I'll be going to a third shop to check once again for leaks and to ensure the O2 sensor isn't failing.

MadMen

Ready to race!
I've thought that right from the beginning but I've been to two shops in the last month and a half and both of them said they couldn't find any leak.

Later today I'm going to try to remove the J spacer and install the O2 sensor directly into the exhaust stream (in the relocated spot) in hopes to throw something other than P013E. If it still throws that I'll be going to a third shop to check once again for leaks and to ensure the O2 sensor isn't failing.

I had that code when I first installed my DP. Couldn't find a leak either, but after removing the v-band and resetting it, and making it much tighter, that code went away. It won't be easily detectable as a leak while sitting at idle.

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
I’m bringing this topic back to the top.

Just received my MAP GESI catted and resonated DP and threw a CEL P0240 within the first 20 miles and shortly again after clearing it.

I was hoping that spending the addition $$ on the GESI cat would keep me CEL free but I guess not.

Going to try the Vibrant J style this week and hope that clears things up.

Any other recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boostnonu

Go Kart Newbie
Guys I to am running the vibrant j. Just to let you guys know my findings. The o2 sensor is to long, as you tighten the o2 sensor it starts hitting the back wall of the j spacer and causing a groove . Not sure if there all are the same length but i have 2 and both hit. that being said i still run it.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Guys I to am running the vibrant j. Just to let you guys know my findings. The o2 sensor is to long, as you tighten the o2 sensor it starts hitting the back wall of the j spacer and causing a groove . Not sure if there all are the same length but i have 2 and both hit. that being said i still run it.

That all depends on cat placement. Sounds like yours is in a tight spot. You could undo the DP and move it a bit to get O2 on correctly, then clamp back down DP.

audio vicious

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport DSG
I had the P013E. I'm running a CTS catted DP with the Vibrant J spacer and middle insert. I drove about 350 miles after the install before it came on. I checked under the hood and the v band clamp was TIGHT, but the spacer seemed a little loose. I tightened it up and cleared it, and it's yet to return. Could that have solved it or should I be checking for a leak at the DP-turbo? I don't remember a gasket, so I'm guessing it was still on the turbo.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I had the P013E. I'm running a CTS catted DP with the Vibrant J spacer and middle insert. I drove about 350 miles after the install before it came on. I checked under the hood and the v band clamp was TIGHT, but the spacer seemed a little loose. I tightened it up and cleared it, and it's yet to return. Could that have solved it or should I be checking for a leak at the DP-turbo? I don't remember a gasket, so I'm guessing it was still on the turbo.

Leave it alone.