GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension set up to get Oversteer?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Does he drive a STR prepped NC also? Is it John Li? Otherwise I don't remember orange STs. I also run events in NWOR and there are some fast STs there too.

GS was tough the last season for me. For our local event I can do ok beating less experience guys in STs. But we have a fast SRT4 here that I lose to regularly on time, though he tend to run Pro classes. But down in NWOR where more National level guys run I get beat most of the time(to STs and Celica). I ran the SCCA Pro Solo down at Toledo last year and was basically deadlast in the "GS" field since they run the SF class for all the FWD Street class car. I can beat HS Mini but its a power course...lol

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Does he drive a STR prepped NC also? Is it John Li? Otherwise I don't remember orange STs. I also run events in NWOR and there are some fast STs there too.

GS was tough the last season for me. For our local event I can do ok beating less experience guys in STs. But we have a fast SRT4 here that I lose to regularly on time, though he tend to run Pro classes. But down in NWOR where more National level guys run I get beat most of the time(to STs and Celica). I ran the SCCA Pro Solo down at Toledo last year and was basically deadlast in the "GS" field since they run the SF class for all the FWD Street class car. I can beat HS Mini but its a power course...lol

that's the guy. he comes to run in CCSCC (Central IL) once in a while so that's when I see him, usually gets me by 1-2s depending on the day and course. Please keep us posted on how the season goes, definitely very interested to hear.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
I went to CCSCC event last month when they were doing the grudge match....good fun...

I should do the same thing I did on the golfmk6 and keep a running thread going on my misadvanture....stay tuned I guess...lol

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61640

oh cool! i missed that day but i was there for the last event of the year on 11/8. normally racing in STL. yep, will definitely be keeping a keen eye on how the 15 gti does this year

GGray

Ready to race!
I know that site for some years. I don't agree with some of the statements made there. On a well designed suspension, the bump stops are almost never touched.

That is 100% true... We sell JRZ, MCS and both never use a bump stop front or rear with the spring rates used on a race car. On street you can put them on but JUST to keep the damper from blowing from a hard impact they would not be used as part of the active tuning.

I auto crossed a Miata pretty heavily and Mazda engineered the bump stops as an active part of the suspension. Most of the competitive guys, including myself, fine tuned our cars with bump stops. it works but is far from ideal.

Typcially a larger rear sway bar does the trick on any FWD car. And adding some more negative camber up front.

If you can align the car front and rear with negative camber and zero camber in back that will cause slight over steer.. Farting with tow and camber will also do it but can make it pretty twitchy. My Miata was scary on the highway due to the alignment specs I ran to be competitive in stock class. As in white knuckle drive it straight sketchy...

GGray

Ready to race!

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
I used to do this a couple of years, Gary. I didn't found it too inconvenient.
With some routine it's quite easily and quickly done in less than a minute.
Admittedly it's good to have an old blanket in the trunk not to dirty your
clothes. In practice there's no need to do the job daily or even under bad
weather conditions.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
None of those are currently legal for the class where GTI will likely be competitive in unfortunately.....as mentioned if Ohlins made dampers again for MK7 that would be really tempting...

GGray

Ready to race!
I used to do this a couple of years, Gary. I didn't found it too inconvenient.
With some routine it's quite easily and quickly done in less than a minute.
Admittedly it's good to have an old blanket in the trunk not to dirty your
clothes. In practice there's no need to do the job daily or even under bad
weather conditions.

On a daily driven car the adjusters get corroded fairly quick. Especially if driven in winter salty conditions. I prefer the adjuster in the car not under it. And if the car is lowered it is a PITA based on the ones I have had with bottom adjusters.

The simple fix woudl be to just flip the damper over, put a knob inside... Not a race car so the added unsprung weight is not a huge issue..

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
While you're right that there's the risk of corrosion it's easy to prevent them from corroding.
We can easily say what we'd wish to have, but that doesn't do much, since there's not many
aftermarket stuff with interior switching. KW's DDC and Bilstein's Ridecontrol do come in mind.
Or staying with stock DCC. I still prefer Öhlins though.