GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Maybe even 350/600 or 400/650 if I move down to an adjustable 24mm rsb from the 26mm.

Tough choice.

My cheap plan was to install the konis and use a 7 inch 400 lbs spring in the rear with the BC adjustable perch. I'm honestly all over the place because I don't want to end up with a racecar again, which I'll hate on the street and end to selling again.
I'm using spring rubbers up front (STH legal) and packed bump springs in the back (unsure if STH legal) in competition.

Undo them on non AX days so my daily ride doesn't suck.

Attachments

• PXL_20210418_130159642.jpg
    PXL_20210418_130159642.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 78

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Question for the DSG folks. I had an off-throttle upshift happen to me a couple times today. I have the IE TCU tune and I was under the impression that it would hold gear regardless, so I was caught off guard by the automatic upshift. Is this a normal thing and I need to adjust my driving style?
Were you just driving normally in the city? If so, totally a thing. The dsg decided to upshift right before you lifted off the gas. If you hit that rpm threshold it’ll definitely shift up. It’s not gonna hold indefinitely unless you hit the rpm threshold

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
Were you just driving normally in the city? If so, totally a thing. The dsg decided to upshift right before you lifted off the gas. If you hit that rpm threshold it’ll definitely shift up. It’s not gonna hold indefinitely unless you hit the rpm threshold
No, I was on course (autocross) approaching a pin-turn. I must have bumped the lever while hamfisting the car around. Something I need to keep an eye on.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
No, I was on course (autocross) approaching a pin-turn. I must have bumped the lever while hamfisting the car around. Something I need to keep an eye on.
Oh gotcha. Yeah you’ll want to be in manual mode. I don’t think the apr dsg auto shifts in manual mode. Not sure though

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Oh gotcha. Yeah you’ll want to be in manual mode. I don’t think the apr dsg auto shifts in manual mode. Not sure though
It will upshift in manual mode if it's not coded correctly. My APR+ TCU tune does not have the hold-gear option enabled.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Not worried about getting to front koni adjuster, as you're allowed to drill a hole to access it. Problem solved.

I'm considering the GC, but have heard numerous complaints about clunking.

I'd assume with stock diameter springs I'd use stock strut bearings, that should resolve any issue with springs twisting, yes?
I've NEVER had any issue with the GC plate. I know there is some maniac who manically brow-beats those looking into the GC plate, but that user's complaints do not match most of everyone else's experience. Almost all noise from any suspension install is user error.

The stock hardware does hook up nicely, and twisting is not the issue, it's spring bending sideways. But if this is the route you are taking, it won't be any different from what you are doing now.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
It will upshift in manual mode if it's not coded correctly. My APR+ TCU tune does not have the hold-gear option enabled.
From my understanding the apr+ dsg tune just lets u see what gear the car is in? Isn’t that the only difference? I heard it doesn’t increase clutch clamp force or anything like that.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
From my understanding the apr+ dsg tune just lets u see what gear the car is in? Isn’t that the only difference? I heard it doesn’t increase clutch clamp force or anything like that.
Direct from APR's site:

Features:​

• Optimized part throttle drive and sport maps
  • Optimized wide open throttle drive and sport maps
  • Increased clutch pressure
  • Increased clutch torque limits
  • Manual downshift lockout limit increased
  • Lightning fast paddle response
  • Lightning fast shift times and AMAX mode
  • Reduced pull-away delay
  • Customizable auto up-shift behavior
  • Customizable auto down-shift behavior
  • Customizable 3-step launch control
  • Lightning fast launch control
  • Launch control enabled with ESP on
  • Launch counter
  • Gear display active in drive and sport
  • Direct Port Programming - Clean and easy install through the OBD II port without removing the ECU
  • Free Updates - Get free updates for life
  • Guarantee - 30 day money back guarantee

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've NEVER had any issue with the GC plate. I know there is some maniac who manically brow-beats those looking into the GC plate, but that user's complaints do not match most of everyone else's experience. Almost all noise from any suspension install is user error.

The stock hardware does hook up nicely, and twisting is not the issue, it's spring bending sideways. But if this is the route you are taking, it won't be any different from what you are doing now.
I've seen one other user complaining of the same, but it appears it was early plates and a QC issue with the bolts from what I can tell.

Yeah, I haven't noticed anything weird due to springs twisting.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Direct from APR's site:

Features:​

• Optimized part throttle drive and sport maps
  • Optimized wide open throttle drive and sport maps
  • Increased clutch pressure
  • Increased clutch torque limits
  • Manual downshift lockout limit increased
  • Lightning fast paddle response
  • Lightning fast shift times and AMAX mode
  • Reduced pull-away delay
  • Customizable auto up-shift behavior
  • Customizable auto down-shift behavior
  • Customizable 3-step launch control
  • Lightning fast launch control
  • Launch control enabled with ESP on
  • Launch counter
  • Gear display active in drive and sport
  • Direct Port Programming - Clean and easy install through the OBD II port without removing the ECU
  • Free Updates - Get free updates for life
  • Guarantee - 30 day money back guarantee
Nice!

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
All this is legal, since springs are wide open.
well that's good news.

I had concerns about bump springs on the shock since this is not the "usual mounting point" for our car's spring....yet under stock class language, a bump stop is characterized as a spring. Didn't know if this would come together to make it legal or not.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
well that's good news.

I had concerns about bump springs on the shock since this is not the "usual mounting point" for our car's spring....yet under stock class language, a bump stop is characterized as a spring. Didn't know if this would come together to make it legal or not.
You're talking about spring wedges, like they use in NASCAR?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
You're talking about spring wedges, like they use in NASCAR?
spring rubbers, yes as in circle track /.NASCAR. not familiar with 'spring wedges' naming but perhaps they are same.

firm below sells multiple widths and durometers for 5-5.5" and 2.5" coilover springs. they will custom make other diameters per your spec.

https://www.acrotechinc.com/automotive-applications/

advantage is you can add or remove them quickly (re NASCAR). disadvatage is even on a pure linear spring, the durometer adds some progression to your target effective rate.

overall though, two very different setups for street and comp can be achieved, with minimal install / setup

edit; now, on the bump spring side, a spring substitutes for a bump stop. Usually the OD is 2" or less and length between 1" to 2.5". Above and below the spring are spring retainers with a hole in the center that threads over the shock shaft.

In my case, I use spring retainers from Slade Shock Technology and.1200# bump springs from Landrum. A small o-ring below the bottom retainer keeps the spring and its retainer sandwich up against the top of the.shock mount. This leaves a 2+ inch gap between the top of the shock body and the bottom retainer. Thus, on the street, the bump springs do not effect ride quality. Keeping them up with the o-ring keeps them silent...no rattles even with a.gap.

https://www.sladeshocktechnology.com/store/p_2193638/bump-spring-retainer-kit

https://landrumspring.com/products/bump-stop-springs/

For autocross, that 2+ inch gap is filled with bump stop packers, or shims which are round disks of delrin with a slot that allows them to snap on to the shock shaft. Filling the gap 'activates' the bump spring.

https://allstarperformance.com/16mm-bump-stop-shim-1-8in-brown-all64325/

Note you can buy them cheaper in bulk from Allstar and other co's

https://www.resuspension.com/bump-stops/packers/packer-16mm-625-125-10p.html

Total install process requires lifting the car to create some droop, place the front rubbers between the coils and.snap in the packers. Maybe 5 mins tops install time per side. Removal is the reverse.

For both front and rear, initial setup requires improvising shock dust boots. I have none in the front and the rears are thin plastic sheeting that can be pushed aside to facilitate packer install.

edit: added some pictures

pic 1; a spring rubber placed on stock GTI.springs. I run two rubbers on each front spring

pic 2: behind the low-rent dust boot, Landrum 1200# bump spring on the rear shock. Spring position is lowered so you can see it.

pic 3: same as pic 2, but bump spring now located at top of the shock shaft, supported by an o-ring. No effect on daily ride with this much clearance.

pic 4: current inventory of bump stop packers, ready for next event :)

pic 5: bump spring with packers in place. spring is now active and ready for AX.

Attachments

• PXL_20210427_133148208.jpg
    PXL_20210427_133148208.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20210427_132414377.jpg
    PXL_20210427_132414377.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20210427_132524236.jpg
    PXL_20210427_132524236.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20210427_132551450.jpg
    PXL_20210427_132551450.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20210427_132839501.jpg
    PXL_20210427_132839501.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Ok, guys, in my quest to not ruin another street car, and with the cars recent pace against a fully prepped and competitive WRX, I'm going to keep the APR springs, install the konis, but a want to increase the ride height in the front just a little. I know some camber plates will cause a slight increase in front ride height, anyone know which those would be?
Maybe adjustable spring perches on the Konis?