GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
In fact 40 might be low for low camber, pinched, on concrete running an RT660 or A052.

There is no magic tire pressure, high or low.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Theoretically, if I installed hood louvers, but blocked them off, would they get protested?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I had the car out on track in 2019 fairly stock, and would love to start going to more trackdays, but am not sure how to begin. Should I sign up for the local SCCA region? I assume my car is too built to fit into the GS or STH classes mentioned earlier. I've been enjoying it in the canyons for now.
The Vortex and Verkline subframe would put you in Prepared. I think there's also Xtreme Street now which allows subframes but sticks to 200tw.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Theoretically, if I installed hood louvers, but blocked them off, would they get protested?
Technically not legal, but I would not protest you blocked or unblocked because I know it won't help you on course.

Ask your local region STH drivers what they think.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Technically not legal, but I would not protest you blocked or unblocked because I know it won't help you on course.

Ask your local region STH drivers what they think.
Out of 7 cars locally, 3 are legal, 4 are clearly not, but no one cares. None of the mods would make any difference
on course.

I would think nonfunctional, i.e. blocked off vents, would be ok.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
How does this work if you have never done it before? Do they let you do a slow pass or something?
My current SCCA region, WNY, has a Novice class that, pre-Covid, would allow a designated instructor ride shotgun with you and coach you during your run, My previous region, Texas, had a similar program. I suspect there are many other regions that have or did have similiar programs. Covid has put a damper on this for now, at least locally.
Otherwise, everyone gets to walk the course after it's set up early in the day up to just before the Drivers Meeting and learn it from observation. My current region typically has a Novice group walkthru with a designated instructor.
Forget about trying to check out the course on anything with wheels though- that's definitely verbotten.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My current SCCA region, WNY, has a Novice class that, pre-Covid, would allow a designated instructor ride shotgun with you and coach you during your run, My previous region, Texas, had a similar program. I suspect there are many other regions that have or did have similiar programs. Covid has put a damper on this for now, at least locally.
Otherwise, everyone gets to walk the course after it's set up early in the day up to just before the Drivers Meeting and learn it from observation. My current region typically has a Novice group walkthru with a designated instructor.
Forget about trying to check out the course on anything with wheels though- that's definitely verbotten.
We do a mandatory novice walk through, where an experienced member walks the novices through the course. We just started to allow instructors to ride again.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ok, guys, in my quest to not ruin another street car, and with the cars recent pace against a fully prepped and competitive WRX, I'm going to keep the APR springs, install the konis, but a want to increase the ride height in the front just a little. I know some camber plates will cause a slight increase in front ride height, anyone know which those would be?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Ok, guys, in my quest to not ruin another street car, and with the cars recent pace against a fully prepped and competitive WRX, I'm going to keep the APR springs, install the konis, but a want to increase the ride height in the front just a little. I know some camber plates will cause a slight increase in front ride height, anyone know which those would be?
It's not quite that simple.

It depends on getting your shock shaft with the correct spacer/nut and spring adapters. You could start with Ground Control, tell them you have Koni shocks when ordering. You will get more negative camber, probably more than your euro sport kit.

Here's the next rub, if you adjust for max camber, with the ground control kit and spring adapters as designed, the shock adjuster will be too high, and underneath the shock tower, it will be hard to adjust.

You could move to a coil-over setup with the konis, probably. Then you could run 2.5 id springs and then you can try a spring top hat, and some spacers to move the shaft lower, and the car up, like you want.

So yeah, there's a way, but it's not straight forward.

Here's how it all looks on my ohlins.

IMG_4239.JPEG

This is the preferred way to mount springs to a shock. If you mount the springs to the GC top mount the springs bend when you turn the wheel, and do weird things to spring rates, so I hear.

At the top of the GC plate, my shaft stick out of the nut about 3mm.

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
Question for the DSG folks. I had an off-throttle upshift happen to me a couple times today. I have the IE TCU tune and I was under the impression that it would hold gear regardless, so I was caught off guard by the automatic upshift. Is this a normal thing and I need to adjust my driving style?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Question for the DSG folks. I had an off-throttle upshift happen to me a couple times today. I have the IE TCU tune and I was under the impression that it would hold gear regardless, so I was caught off guard by the automatic upshift. Is this a normal thing and I need to adjust my driving style?
Not normal if you were off throttle.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's not quite that simple.

It depends on getting your shock shaft with the correct spacer/nut and spring adapters. You could start with Ground Control, tell them you have Koni shocks when ordering. You will get more negative camber, probably more than your euro sport kit.

Here's the next rub, if you adjust for max camber, with the ground control kit and spring adapters as designed, the shock adjuster will be too high, and underneath the shock tower, it will be hard to adjust.

You could move to a coil-over setup with the konis, probably. Then you could run 2.5 id springs and then you can try a spring top hat, and some spacers to move the shaft lower, and the car up, like you want.

So yeah, there's a way, but it's not straight forward.

Here's how it all looks on my ohlins.

View attachment 210827

This is the preferred way to mount springs to a shock. If you mount the springs to the GC top mount the springs bend when you turn the wheel, and do weird things to spring rates, so I hear.

At the top of the GC plate, my shaft stick out of the nut about 3mm.
Not worried about getting to front koni adjuster, as you're allowed to drill a hole to access it. Problem solved.

I'm considering the GC, but have heard numerous complaints about clunking.

I'd assume with stock diameter springs I'd use stock strut bearings, that should resolve any issue with springs twisting, yes?