GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I struggled when my front camber was that low, last year. I feel your pain.
I think I'm going to settle at -2.5. I think that's really about as far as I want to go on my street car. Once this car is paid off, I might get another daily and do a full STH build.

I've done the ST thing 3 times prior, once with full build 05 STI, was miserable on the street but great on track. 08 STI camber bolts, RSB, DP and tune, was great on the street and really good at autocross. And an NC Miata, that was a the worst on the street and I never got it fully sorted, I think mainly because some local guys were talking up the SUR4G and it just wasn't the right tire for a 2400 car.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Another win today, the car seems great no matter what spring combo I use.

Before the runs I lowered the front to gain more front camber, lots of sweepers today.

IMG_4219.PNG

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Hey all- I've been loosely following this thread for a little while. Lots of cool suspension info in here. The GTI is my first car, and I may have jumped too deep into mods before fine tuning the current setup.

I recently finished installing a Verkline front subframe and control arms, as well as rear camber arms. I was hoping this setup would dial the car in, but it still feels a bit *off*. Seems like a lot of the suspension setup talk is in here, so I was hoping to get some help.

The car seems to squirm a bit side-to-side exiting corners or on power in straights. Tightening up the rear damping and adjusting my FSB to be more loose helped significantly, but I still feel this same movement. Grip in corners improved greatly, but it likes to wander a bit when going straight.

The alignment came out great, and is dead-on. I've also done a bolt check since install so I'm confident nothing is loose.

I also added a fresh 6mt with a few upgrades, including a wavetrac while removing the VAQ. Could it just be the differences in diffs? The steering response was changed dramatically with the diff.

Setup is as follows:

>B16 coilovers- Rear set to 8/10 stiff, front set to 9/10. I used to run 6 all around, but the new suspension made 6 feel far too soft.

>Indy 500 tires 255/35 R 18 square

>ST 25mm rear sway bar / 29mm front sway bar

> Camber is -2.2 in front and -2.5 in rear. Slight toe out in front and zero toe in rear. Printout is attached below.

I had the car out on track in 2019 fairly stock, and would love to start going to more trackdays, but am not sure how to begin. Should I sign up for the local SCCA region? I assume my car is too built to fit into the GS or STH classes mentioned earlier. I've been enjoying it in the canyons for now.

PXL_20210411_220448255.jpg

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
Having had the opportunity to drive @xXDavidCXx's car I can attest that the setup is impeccable. Excellent turn in and the rotation is great, in fact almost as good as mine :)

At this point I'm considering the STH recipe in this thread for my 2018 GTI-S.

Today's course in Lincoln was long at 9/10ths of a mile.
IMG-3400.jpeg

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
I also added a fresh 6mt with a few upgrades, including a wavetrac while removing the VAQ. Could it just be the differences in diffs? The steering response was changed dramatically with the diff.

Which LCAs? The verkline subframe fitment issues with certain LCA's (or do you mean you went verkline all around?). Also after wavetrac install did you disable XDS? It can interfere.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Hey all- I've been loosely following this thread for a little while. Lots of cool suspension info in here. The GTI is my first car, and I may have jumped too deep into mods before fine tuning the current setup.

I recently finished installing a Verkline front subframe and control arms, as well as rear camber arms. I was hoping this setup would dial the car in, but it still feels a bit *off*. Seems like a lot of the suspension setup talk is in here, so I was hoping to get some help.

The car seems to squirm a bit side-to-side exiting corners or on power in straights. Tightening up the rear damping and adjusting my FSB to be more loose helped significantly, but I still feel this same movement. Grip in corners improved greatly, but it likes to wander a bit when going straight.

The alignment came out great, and is dead-on. I've also done a bolt check since install so I'm confident nothing is loose.

Setup is as follows:

>B16 coilovers- Rear set to 8/10 stiff, front set to 9/10. I used to run 6 all around, but the new suspension made 6 feel far too soft.

>Indy 500 tires 255/35 R 18 square

>ST 25mm rear sway bar / 29mm front sway bar

> Camber is -2.2 in front and -2.5 in rear. Slight toe out in front and zero toe in rear. Printout is attached below.

I had the car out on track in 2019 fairly stock, and would love to start going to more trackdays, but am not sure how to begin. Should I sign up for the local SCCA region? I assume my car is too built to fit into the GS or STH classes mentioned earlier. I've been enjoying it in the canyons for now.

View attachment 209927
Your front wondering is probably due to the good diff fighting the front toe-out.

Yes, the verkline front subframe replacement is not ST legal.

Last edited:

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Which LCAs? The verkline subframe fitment issues with certain LCA's (or do you mean you went verkline all around?). Also after wavetrac install did you disable XDS? It can interfere.

Verkline subframe and LCA in front. I'm hoping to do the rear at some point. I have XDS set to "weak" through OBD11- Is there an off setting? I have the ABS fuse pulled, which should also disable XDS, no?
Your front wondering is probably due to the good diff fighting the front toe-out.

Yes, the verkline front subframe replacement is not ST legal.

Recommend going back for an adjustment to zero? I had requested zero toe, but the alignment tech convinced me that it would produce more grip as is currently. Thanks!

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Verkline subframe and LCA in front. I'm hoping to do the rear at some point. I have XDS set to "weak" through OBD11- Is there an off setting? I have the ABS fuse pulled, which should also disable XDS, no?

Recommend going back for an adjustment to zero? I had requested zero toe, but the alignment tech convinced me that it would produce more grip as is currently. Thanks!
There is an off setting for XDS.

You have to decide if you want better turn in grip with front toe-out, or more stable exit steering with zero front toe.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Video is up from my fast run from Sunday.

Crazy tight section there about 3/4 through the run.

It's so weird to watch videos of runs on concrete. I always have the thought "I wish our surface had grip". Lol.

Nice looking run, I'm going to have to get out to Lincoln sometime.

I'll have to get my gopro set up for next event to show you all the joys of running on gravel strewn asphalt. Lol.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Side note: anyone know anybody who produces a diff for the 7 spd DSG?
I'm guessing you have a GTI and so this probably isn't helpful, but just in case this helps anyone else, there is a Quaife diff that's supposed to fit the DQ381 in the front:

https://tsr-performance.com/quaife-...or-vag-dq381-7-speed-4-wheel-drive-gearboxes/

I last spoke to TSR (Quaife directed me to them when I was asking around about dq381 lsd options) in Dec and they said they were still working on finding a local car to confirm fitment on before they were willing to ship to the States.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Nice job! I think it's time to upgrade your camera/mic setup though.
I have a gopro view from the top of the car that I can't access this week, but it's audio won't be any better.

I'm at odds on how to get a good mic setup without spending more money on a hero black version.

My gopro silver does not have a mic input.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Toe-out out back you mean?

I had a similar experience today with pressures around 38F 37R but I was able to test 3 toe-out setting to fine tune what I like for that surface condition.

I also tested the front bar on full still, and whoever said unloading the inside tire was right. It was hard to put the power down, so I dropped back to soft on the front bar, problem solved.

The next mod should be a wavetrack.

Ron Williams was there, but man, he does not have that approachable personality, so I didn’t ask about his tire pressures.
Had dinner with another GS guy in Lincoln, he and Ron Williams run 40 psi up front on their GS Civics.

BOOM!