GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The camber is for a purely daily driver car. I like a good back road and currently I'm seeing some additional outer tire wear. Back in the day I was able to get about -1.75deg on my r53 mini with some ireland fixed camber plates and that was great on that car. The extra front end grip and turn-in is what I'm after, with more even wear of course.

I'm able to get -2.4 with Eurosport's camber kit, 1" drop and a little slotting of the mounting holes.

They add zero NVH, so they're fantastic on a street car.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Howd you get so much? Do you have css knuckles or tt lca's?
No LCA or knuckle changes, this is just from the camber plates and slight elongation of the mounting holes. Still have clearance between the body and the strut too.

00Zero

Go Kart Newbie
Also, your rear shock choice is paramount. It needs to have a lot more rebound than you find in an OTS shock. Nothing less than a Koni yellow for adjustable rebound, even though these are a pita to adjust.

I was going to do my best to replicate the approximate damping ratios of the front shock in the rear.

My plan was Bilstein B4 or Koni Specials Active fronts With B6, SA or Yellow rears which ever pairing I can get to match the closest

And if I cant get it done OTS i could always get B6 rears custom revalved.

I'm able to get -2.4 with Eurosport's camber kit, 1" drop and a little slotting of the mounting holes.

They add zero NVH, so they're fantastic on a street car.

how much slotting have you done? by my math a 1" drop with the Eurosport camber kit should end up about -1.8 while my GSW at stock height would be at about -1.3.

What are everyone's thoughts on the RS3/BFI fcab vs superpro (with and w/o added caster)?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I was going to do my best to replicate the approximate damping ratios of the front shock in the rear.

My plan was Bilstein B4 or Koni Specials Active fronts With B6, SA or Yellow rears which ever pairing I can get to match the closest

And if I cant get it done OTS i could always get B6 rears custom revalved.

how much slotting have you done? by my math a 1" drop with the Eurosport camber kit should end up about -1.8 while my GSW at stock height would be at about -1.3.

What are everyone's thoughts on the RS3/BFI fcab vs superpro (with and w/o added caster)?

Before slotting, I was seeing -2. The first alignment I got showed much higher, but I think they didn't know what they were doing. I went to my normal shop and it was -1.9 and -2.1 L and R.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Well, my last event of the year was officially snowed out today. No other plans for the season, so I've ordered all the hardware to reinstall my B6/OEM springs for the winter. Also doing filters, plugs+ coils, and some other stuff at the same time.

Once that's settled, I can make a parts list for winter. Diff and clutch are in the plans to start with. I'm going to try and get my dampers sent out and shock dynoed to see how they've fared over the last 10k miles of street/autox. Also planning to replace the camber plate bearings and some other small maintenance items on the suspension.

In other news, I've been pretty religious with oil analysis since my car was new and it's great to see the history of the engine over time. The image below spans 2 years (from 2018 til now) and over 40k miles and things are pretty consistent. People talk about the VW 10k recommendation often, and while I'll stick to ~8k (usually when I need to top up anyways), the data shows it can do 10k all day.

1604199194687.png

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Those are some really good oil sample numbers. Very consistent.

was going ask whether you had a DSG, but see you are looking to replace your clutch.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Those are some really good oil sample numbers. Very consistent.

was going ask whether you had a DSG, but see you are looking to replace your clutch.
Can't say I do anything special either. OEM oil for each change and I keep an eye on oil temps when the car is cold and take it easy until warm.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
OEM oil trends to low viscosity in every oil sample I've seen. I'm trying Liquid Moly next. I've seen at least one report of stable viscosity.

Amsoil is supposed to be very stable too.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
OEM oil trends to low viscosity in every oil sample I've seen. I'm trying Liquid Moly next. I've seen at least one report of stable viscosity.
Hasn't been an issue thus far, so I'll likely stay the course with OEM.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Just installed this pedal spacer on my car, so I guess STH Nationals 2021 is pretty much in the bag.

I heel/toe with my big toe and pinky toe so I'm generally pretty interested I these products. The GTI was never that bad imo but I still wanted to try something like this and the other options were too expensive for my passing interest. My initial impression is that this thing helps out, definitely some more positive contact on outside of my foot while braking. It's nice to feel the contact with the throttle before blipping. Installation involves removing a single T30 screw.

PXL_20201102_215811744.jpg