GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

sackofcheese

Since it was my region’s final Points Event and I broke my Autocross/track day car, I decided to take my daily driver GTI out in STH. That was a bad choice cause now I’m shopping for some wheels and tires.

Current Set up
2015 MK7 Autobahn DSG Non PP
Koni Yellows
Eibach Pro-Kit
034 Motorsports Camber plates
BMS JB4
034 Motorsports Drop in Air filter
235/40/18 Michelin Pilot AS3s

I wasn’t fast, but the car was a blast even on cold All seasons. Looking forward to next season.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Get a LSD, it will change your life
Agreed. I'm probably not at the level where it would matter, but even I could feel a difference.

Before, it was spin city in turns and accelerating, especially with esc off. Now, with esc off, accelerating, seems like it pulls the front end along. Don't know how to describe it better. Even on the street, the car oversteers on throttle vs off throttle. Of course that's not at 10/10ths, but at less than the traction limit, it pulls the car into the corner.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Agreed. I'm probably not at the level where it would matter, but even I could feel a difference.

Before, it was spin city in turns and accelerating, especially with esc off. Now, with esc off, accelerating, seems like it pulls the front end along. Don't know how to describe it better. Even on the street, the car oversteers on throttle vs off throttle. Of course that's not at 10/10ths, but at less than the traction limit, it pulls the car into the corner.
Reason #1 a wavetrac is in my winter plans

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Rules say you can add or replace LSD on fwd car, and we all make pretend VAQ is a limited slip instead of torque vectoring of an open diff, but I'm wondering if someone would protest if you replaced the open diff with a wavetrac on a PP car?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Rules say you can add or replace LSD on fwd car, and we all make pretend VAQ is a limited slip instead of torque vectoring of an open diff, but I'm wondering if someone would protest if you replaced the open diff with a wavetrac on a PP car?
I don't see what they can protest, it has an open diff. The VAQ is extra.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Since it was my region’s final Points Event and I broke my Autocross/track day car, I decided to take my daily driver GTI out in STH. That was a bad choice cause now I’m shopping for some wheels and tires.

Current Set up
2015 MK7 Autobahn DSG Non PP
Koni Yellows
Eibach Pro-Kit
034 Motorsports Camber plates
BMS JB4
034 Motorsports Drop in Air filter
235/40/18 Michelin Pilot AS3s

I wasn’t fast, but the car was a blast even on cold All seasons. Looking forward to next season.

What's your rebound settings, and your alignment?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The real question is if the haldex counts as a dif for the R... Or if you could add a front wavetrac.

Didn't someone post on here a link to someone who appealed this and got denied because they considered the haldex as a lsd

Edit : found it

20201106_072818.jpg

sackofcheese

What's your rebound settings, and your alignment?
I have the rears set to the halfway point between full soft and full stiff, I turned the fronts 1 full turn from full soft. My alignment was all sorts of jacked up. I had it aligned on Wednesday, but this is the starting point.

Attachments

• D4E752DA-7471-4B41-8AF9-F417A77A3B05.jpeg
    D4E752DA-7471-4B41-8AF9-F417A77A3B05.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I have the rears set to the halfway point between full soft and full stiff, I turned the fronts 1 full turn from full soft. My alignment was all sorts of jacked up. I had it aligned on Wednesday, but this is the starting point.
Do you have a printout of the finished alignment? Agreed that was pretty jacked up to start

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
The real question is if the haldex counts as a dif for the R... Or if you could add a front wavetrac.
So, I guess the protest would be that the GTI can't have two differentials. One actual LSD, and one that acts like an LSD, even if they are on the same axle.

It's probably worth writing a letter for clarification.

I wrote a letter asking for clarification.

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Here's my justification FOR having the FDL and a mechanical LSD.

"Can the STAC please clarify the allowance for replacing the open differential for VW GTIs equipped with VW's VAQ (also referred as FXD or FDL) or Haldex based "limited slip coupler or clutch" as defined in the protest for Chris Thorpe's #124 (24) MK6 Golf R, during the 2019 Solo Nationals.

If a VAQ or Haldex system is defined as "performing the function of a type of LSD..." does that imply that the actual mechanical open front differential of the GTI cannot be replaced with a mechanical LSD unit, as allowed in 14.10.K.2, because it already has one LSD? Or does "any" allow for both the mechanical in the transmission LSD and the VAQ? I assume that this line of reasoning would apply for cars using other torque vectoring methods such as the brakes.

I see two solutions, change the definition of an LSD as suggested in the Chris Thorp decision, and then adapt that rule to also apply in this situation where only one "LSD" can be used in a FWD STH car.

Or clarify that any FWD open differential can be replaced with a mechanical differential, regardless of what other technology exists on the car that "acts like a LSD", like other cars do using sensors and the braking system.

I think the second option makes the most sense, as the VAQ system cannot sense torque and has to be told to activate, while an actual FWD LSD senses the torque distribution and acts on its own. With an actual mechanical LSD, its unlikely that the VAQ system would activate as the wheel speed sensors would not sense a difference, and therefore having the VAQ and a traditional LSD would probably not provide any advantage beyond the mechanical LSD on its own."