GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

State of the Forum..

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
18s still have a couple more years of warranty left as those had the 6/72k.

Exactly. There's probably a whole new group of people waiting to mod once it does expire, and this is a perfect resource for longtime owners ready to explore modding options..

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Mods have said it themselves, they are no longer active on the forum apart from responding to people and the occasional checkup. The MK7 platform is now almost a decade old, the forums time has come where activity is going to drop and spam is going to build up

Just take a look at the MK5 section...

1656531087523.png

• Sad
Reactions: krs

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I love coming here and I’m also semi-active on the Vortex. I like it here better. It’s more Personal. The amount of subforums on the Vortex is overwhelming. So if I’m shopping for something I hit there first because traffic. If I find it here though, I buy here.

I was super active on a motorcycle forum for a lot of years. Became a mod at one point. There was a good amount of dissension across the board and a lot of the good people left and traffic fell off so I found myself going less and less.

I floated on social media for a little while but really didn’t care for it as much. Got my R and ended up here. There is a similar vibe here as the bike forum.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I've always been a forum rat, since the late 90's. Always been my preferred online social interaction archetype. Hell, just the other day I was going down memory lane of 20 year old posts over on 6gc.net 🤣

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
This.. Plus I think it discourages new members and dialog.

Facebook groups are known for that kind of attitude. Of all the FB groups I’ve been in, I was either told to “google it before you ask dumbass questions like that” or “figure it out”

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Facebook groups are known for that kind of attitude. Of all the FB groups I’ve been in, I was either told to “google it before you ask dumbass questions like that” or “figure it out”
What happened to a conversation? I understand there are some questions that have been answered a lot, but at the same time, you would be surprised the things that can come of it. New perspectives or new information that may have not been disseminated otherwise. It’s also pretty nice to be welcomed into a new group especially when you’re new to the platform. Everyone forgets they had to start somewhere too. As much as I hate to point people to an existing thread, sometimes the information hasn’t changed.

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
What happened to a conversation? I understand there are some questions that have been answered a lot, but at the same time, you would be surprised the things that can come of it. New perspectives or new information that may have not been disseminated otherwise. It’s also pretty nice to be welcomed into a new group especially when you’re new to the platform. Everyone forgets they had to start somewhere too. As much as I hate to point people to an existing thread, sometimes the information hasn’t changed.
Exactly! I think alot have forgotten that maybe some people may not know as much compared to the other guy. I could never do that to someone new to the platform because I was in their shoes at some point.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I enjoy forums as there is not much trash talking like on social media. I haven’t gone on FB in a while and I don’t miss it. The fact that there isn’t 1000 members who post on a regular basis helps to weed out the bs. If I stick around a forum long enough, or read enough, I typically understand who is a strait shooter.
Plus, all the FAQs are a gold mine. That’s where I start. FB doesn’t have that as far as I know.
I’ve also met people off this forum and others. I recognized @crxgator from the CRXCommunity forum I used to go on around 15 years ago.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Without this forum I wouldn't have known where to start, what issues to look out for, or even the tip about FCP EURO and lifetime free oil changes. This is my go-to place for knowledge and discovery in regards to my mk7

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Damn. Went down a rabbit hole on my first forum. Couldn't even remember the name ( The Speed Trap) but remembered the creators username, SeeOurWrecks. That was in 2001.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Another thing to consider is that the 17's/18's are just now coming off warranty which for many is the start of the mod process.

You also have a completely new user group that are buying Mk7's second hand. I'm part of a Mk7 Facebook group that I'm about to bounce from. Everyday you'll see several posts from people picking up a used Mk7...and asking about "which mod to get first". You got guys buying them with 100k on the odometer.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
One thing I noticed is that there aren't that many OG's on the forum these days. Back in 2017 when I joined the forum, pretty much everybody would tell new members, when they would ask a question that has been asked a 1000 times, to use the forum search function. Now, apparently you can't do that without "hurting or offending" somebody's feelings because this generation wants to be spoon fed the information right away which is why I don't even bother when somebody asks "Which tune is best?" or which exhaust or intake or what oil should I use, etc... I'm all about doing your own research first and if you can't find the answer, then post the question.