GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

State of the Forum..

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I look in everyday, don't post often but I'm still interested in Golfs and what other owners / drivers do to and with their cars. Sadly it seems to the way of the internet with people being abusive or offensive to others they don't even know, happens on pretty much every forum.....

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
As with everything, there is a balance, at one point the question "what tune is best" would probably be answered with "APR", now? Completely different answer, I think well maintained pinned threads each with an OP responsible for updating is the way to go to help new-comers. The "how to make the M/T shifter suck less" thread is a good example of this. In this way instead of seeing "what tune is best" we'd see more specific questions "after reading the tune thread, tuner X now seems better than tuner Y"

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
I split time between golfgti.reddit.com which is very active and world wide (I will say I dont like the way reddit has gone over the years)

people still love these cars, people just dont use forums/message boards anymore. they're kind of archaic, despite being great for finding specific related things and being resourceful uses of information

side note: I sent the admins a message like a year ago with a request to delete my account, posts, messages, all info etc. one day im waiting to log in and see an account not found message when they finally catch up to the mod mail... :D

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
my protip (having only read page 1):

Click 'find threads' and then 'threads with your posts'. this ensures you are only seeing threads you have participated in, and therefore filters the spam. Only nuance here is, you don't see the potentially useful new content. But come ~mid morning every day our unsung hero has cleaned it all up.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
One thing I noticed is that there aren't that many OG's on the forum these days. Back in 2017 when I joined the forum, pretty much everybody would tell new members, when they would ask a question that has been asked a 1000 times, to use the forum search function. Now, apparently you can't do that without "hurting or offending" somebody's feelings because this generation wants to be spoon fed the information right away which is why I don't even bother when somebody asks "Which tune is best?" or which exhaust or intake or what oil should I use, etc... I'm all about doing your own research first and if you can't find the answer, then post the question.
People have plenty of other everyday things to do, like working, picking up kids from school, weeding the garden, taking the wife to Target, etc. A forum is literally a place for discussions. Had these websites been called libraries, it would make perfect sense to direct everyone toward the search function.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Personally, I wish there was less CBD spam and more Engrish penis enlargement spam.

Read the room, spammers. We're car guys. We don't have sore joints (that's

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
One thing I noticed is that there aren't that many OG's on the forum these days. Back in 2017 when I joined the forum, pretty much everybody would tell new members, when they would ask a question that has been asked a 1000 times, to use the forum search function. Now, apparently you can't do that without "hurting or offending" somebody's feelings because this generation wants to be spoon fed the information right away which is why I don't even bother when somebody asks "Which tune is best?" or which exhaust or intake or what oil should I use, etc... I'm all about doing your own research first and if you can't find the answer, then post the question.

I remember when I joined the forum years ago, it was right around when I started a new job that was slow to pick up. I spent countless hours reading hundreds pages in threads. This was before the political BS that caused all the threads by @GTI Jake to be deleted. Which I still say is a stupid as hell ruling, those threads had hundreds of pages of valuable information. But, like you said. Not like many people would take the time to read through them all nowadays...

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
This is the worst place on earth. It will make you make terrible decisions. But it’s a place where you can unplug and have the best source of information for a hobby that we’re al very passionate about. You can also feel great knowing that you’re faster than the dtr kit. (y)

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Some companies call this “targeted ads”
Stupid terrible Northern Ontario internet... hit send by accident, haven't been able to edit despite multiple attempts.

"Personally, I wish there was less CBD spam and more Engrish penis enlargement spam.

Read the room, spammers. We modify cars. So obviously, our weiners are small. We don't have sore joints (that's the Sport of Golf)."

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Stupid terrible Northern Ontario internet...

Speaking of Northern Ontario- just like Yoga Pants, the trend of thong bathing suits coming fully into vogue is simultaneously the greatest thing of all time, and objectively fucking horrifying.

Happy long weekend, fellow car modding enthusiasts....Protip: as I'm in Northern Ontario right now, I can blame the water temperature.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
This place is much more active than other car forums I read. In addition to the GTI I have an Acura ILX. The Acura, ILX and 9th Gen Civic (car the ILX is based on) forums are all tumbleweeds and crickets.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
This place is much more active than other car forums I read. In addition to the GTI I have an Acura ILX. The Acura, ILX and 9th Gen Civic (car the ILX is based on) forums are all tumbleweeds and crickets.
The 9th gen Civic forums were super active when I bought mine. Then the 10th gen hit and nothing. Like everything had already been done to the cars and no one needed info.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
The 9th gen Civic forums were super active when I bought mine. Then the 10th gen hit and nothing. Like everything had already been done to the cars and no one needed info.
Also, those cars may have a younger demographic which probably doesn’t read forums but hangs out in social media groups instead.