GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speedometer Calibration with OBDEleven?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Searched the OBDeleven thread (and some other places), but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for, so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Backstory: bought used wheels/tires for winter, they're sized 215/55/17, 4.8% larger diameter than stock (26.3" vs 25.1"). I know that this will (theoretically) make my indicated speed lower than my actual speed, but that most cars speedometers read lower than actual with the standard tire size, to prevent idiots like me from blaming the car company for their speeding tickets.

Now, I bought the wheels/tires from a guy who'd had his 2013 Passat TDI bought back, and he told me when I purchased them that his car has a setting in the MIB (car>wheels>winter) that allowed him to adjust the speedometer by up to 5% to compensate for taller winter tires. However, in my 2017 GTI Sport, the only option I have in that menu is to set a speed warning. Others have told me that their older GTIs had the same feature, so I'm wondering if this is something that can be enabled using OBDeleven, and if so, how?

(Oh and in case anyone was wondering, yes, 17" wheels from an old Audi S4 will clear the PP brakes, though with bare millimeters of space between the caliper and the wheel weights. Also, the 1" taller tires do not rub.)

nype

Drag Racing Champion
If I recall, there is a tire size setting somewhere. Read about it a while back on one of the vcds threads. I’d have to do some searching to find it again.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
There’s a winter tire setting. You can do it on the mfd via steering wheel

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Did some research and per another forum, this option was removed in the mk7. If I find the link I'll post.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2491&page=63

See post 1059

I didn’t read further along in the thread but this is what I was referring to earlier.

From member “Sportwagen SEL”

I finally found a way to calibrate our speedo for those of us running different size tires/wheels!

Go to 17 dashboard
Long coding (the list mode not 0 and 1s)
Wheel Circ

Here you'll see version 1-8. My car was set on version 3 which match the stock 225/40 tires. I set it to version 1 as I have larger diameter 245/40 tires and now my speedo is just about right.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2491&page=63

See post 1059

I didn’t read further along in the thread but this is what I was referring to earlier.

From member “Sportwagen SEL”

I finally found a way to calibrate our speedo for those of us running different size tires/wheels!

Go to 17 dashboard
Long coding (the list mode not 0 and 1s)
Wheel Circ

Here you'll see version 1-8. My car was set on version 3 which match the stock 225/40 tires. I set it to version 1 as I have larger diameter 245/40 tires and now my speedo is just about right.

That's what I was looking for, sort of. It would be nice to know what sizes the settings correspond to, but it's a good start. Thanks!

EDIT: Investigated further, found this thread, which led me to this doc.

So, based on the numbers from this helpful tire size calculator, I'm going from 514 revs/km to 491, so setting 4 is the best possible option. Based on the table, the best setting for the factory tire size at 514 r/km is #2, (513), rather than #3. This makes sense, as we know that all car manufacturers set their speedometers to higher than actual speed, and German companies seem to have a greater deviation than most.

I started off wondering if this was going to be a stupid question thread, and it turns out there's something useful for everyone, even those using the standard tire size.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Wow. Didn't think it was possible with our cars. Testing tomorrow.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Wow. Didn't think it was possible with our cars. Testing tomorrow.

Hopefully it is. The info I've gathered is clearly not from any MK7 owners, but I'm hoping its the sort of thing that the engineers don't feed the need to mess around with between varying generations of cars. We'll soon find out.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
Did some research and per another forum, this option was removed in the mk7. If I find the link I'll post.

My 2016 has it

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
My 2016 has it

Yes. I stand corrected.
About a year ago, Did a lot of research and asked on obd11 forum and here. Never received a response and research showed not possible..

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That's what I was looking for, sort of. It would be nice to know what sizes the settings correspond to, but it's a good start. Thanks!

EDIT: Investigated further, found this thread, which led me to this doc.

So, based on the numbers from this helpful tire size calculator, I'm going from 514 revs/km to 491, so setting 4 is the best possible option. Based on the table, the best setting for the factory tire size at 514 r/km is #2, (513), rather than #3. This makes sense, as we know that all car manufacturers set their speedometers to higher than actual speed, and German companies seem to have a greater deviation than most.

I started off wondering if this was going to be a stupid question thread, and it turns out there's something useful for everyone, even those using the standard tire size.

Great find!!
Already collected some obd data on gps vs speedo discrepancy at stock level. Just updated to setting 1, but based on your feedback, might go to 4 since I'm running same tire size and will get data on that and post on here

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
does it adjust odo too?

any settings for smaller diameter than stock?