GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speedometer Calibration with OBDEleven?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
This is good stuff and I was curious about this. My GSW came with stock 16s and is set to #3 - I take it that the 17 and 18 sizes that were available are all effectively the same diameter (just smaller sidewalls) so #3 remains in effect? At least for me, the speedo matches perfectly with the GPS/Waze.

16gtiguy

Ready to race!
Resurrecting this thread, I just tried this yesterday and it did work for me changing to 4. My speedo before would say 60 and my gps would say 65, now it says 62, so not perfect but much closer than before, might attempt the other setting to see if i can find one even closer.

jkinneberg

Dashboard 17 is a menu setting in or option in a tool called OBDEleven?

Have a 2019 eGolf. Bought take offs from a 2019 Jetta.

Originally the eGolf had 205/45r16 and bolted on tonight 225/45r18.

Circumference has changed from 23.3” to 26” or 11.6% a major difference.

Used the Waze app its GPS says one is doing 69 or 70mph. When the VW speedo on adaptive crusie is set at 65mph. In short the car is driving 4 or 5 mph faster than it is saying.

Reading this thread it sounds like setting it to #4 one drives about 1% slower than the speed displayed on the cars dash console. This makes sense because as tires wear down their is a safety buffer incorporated in the engineering.

Does anyone think the obdeleven will
Void warranty? Can we just pay a vw dealership to adjust?

Dont mind buying the tool just want to
Make sure it works appropriately.

As well does one need the pro version or the normal version to adjust tire diameter/tire rotation per mile sizing?

Last edited:

Martin778899

Backstory: bought used wheels/tires for winter, they're sized 215/55/17, 4.8% larger diameter than stock (26.3" vs 25.1"). I know that this will (theoretically) make my indicated speed lower than my actual speed, but that most cars speedometers read lower than actual with the standard tire size, to prevent idiots like me from blaming the car company for their speeding tickets.

QUOTE]

No - speedometers read HIGHER than the actual speed, not lower, which is to prevent you getting a speeding ticket. On my Mk7, the speedo reads about 2 mph higher than the gps speed which is pretty accurate.

cb1111

Backstory: bought used wheels/tires for winter, they're sized 215/55/17, 4.8% larger diameter than stock (26.3" vs 25.1"). I know that this will (theoretically) make my indicated speed lower than my actual speed, but that most cars speedometers read lower than actual with the standard tire size, to prevent idiots like me from blaming the car company for their speeding tickets.

QUOTE]

No - speedometers read HIGHER than the actual speed, not lower, which is to prevent you getting a speeding ticket. On my Mk7, the speedo reads about 2 mph higher than the gps speed which is pretty accurate.

Yes, and much of this has to do with the fact that speed limits are absolute in most of Europe - 50khm means 50kmh, bot 50 plus 10mph like they mean here in the US.

which is for winter tyre speed limits, not rolling radius corrections!
Correct as well.

As a side note, using the incorrect tire size will technically void your warranty as the odometer will not read correctly - technically this is odometer fraud and the vehicle title must be annotated with "mileage cannot be determined". A 1% variance is usually accepted as OK, but when you go far over that ( in the rolling diameter), then you risk having the manufacturer denying any warranty service - this is one of the few things that will actually "void your warranty". Please note that it doesn't matter if you add or subtract to the odometer. If it isn't correct then it can cause you issues?

ryan2098

Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
I own a 2016 MK7 Golf R and I am looking at purchasing 225/45R18 tires. Am i able to "recalibrate" my speedometer with Ross-Tech or do I need the OBD11?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yes, OBDEleven and VCDS do the exact same things, just a different interface.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Just to chime in here, I'm in the opposite situation as the OP, as my Virtual Cockpit retrofit cluster reads ~10% faster than my GPS speed. (e.g., when the car reads 110km/h, I'm actually going ~101km/h). Stock tire size of 205-55-16 on my 2015 GSW TDI.

I played around with those settings in Byte3 of the Long Coding of 17-Instruments and found that it changed the "Measuring Value" of "Wheel Circumference".
The stock setting (I think it actually even said "standard") gave me these numbers:
Wheel.Diameter.VCDS.Standard.jpg

I think the full description had "average" option above being the speedometer, with "maximum" being the odometer.

A couple others wouldn't accept the coding; but "Variant 3" (or possibly 4 - I gotta take notes instead of relying on memory 🤦‍♂️) gave me larger numbers.
Wheel.Diameter.VCDS.Variant3.jpg

Being tired and bad at math, I tried that option, but it doesn't seem to really impact the indicated speed (and granted, it's only around 1% different, so wouldn't do much for my near-10% differential).

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Just found this thread as I have noticed my speedo is under-reading a little following install of new chunky Michelin PSAS4 (stock size 225/40/18). Indicated 30mph on the speedo, but dragy shows true speed as 32mph, and the gap increases proportionally with speed. I'll have a go with OBDEleven later. Am I right in thinking I will probably get best results changing from what I expect to be setting 3 to 4? (Which I expect could result in a slight overread, but preferable to current situation).