GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sandman, thanks for the pics and the descriptive write-up!

Question: is it just the picture, or do the new knobs look like a whiter alloy than the silver trim accents? I'm surprised to ask this, because after reading your (amazing) build thread I assumed you were way more OCD than me. :)

Speaking of OCD, how can ANYONE handle the volume knob stripe not pointing ALWAYS UP?!?! This has been the bane of my existence since the day I brought my 2012 TDI home and my roommate pointed it out. I've been ruined forever and can ONLY adjust the volume via the steering wheel lol. God help passengers who try to change the volume without asking...

Anyway, thank you for all your contributions. The more obscure the parts, the better!

I think Badgeskin sells black covers so it looks more like the tuner knob.
The knob covers might be a little lighter but they are close.
I like things to match but guess after 51 years, realize nothing is ever perfect and if it is will not stay that way forever. Enjoyed your comments.

Looking again I do not think they are that different. I think being new and knurled they are reflecting the light different.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Getting ready for winter!

Pulled out my Austin winter wheel/tire set and cleaned them over the weekend. Working this week on waxing them.

Tested out my Tire Rack tire storage carry bags. They work well and are not very hard to apply. I did not order the felt disks that go with them, but I did Monday so I will have them when I remove my OZ Leggera wheels for storage.

Now just need to order a storage rack for garage wall.:D

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

lokerola

Ready to race!
Pulled out my Austin winter wheel/tire set and cleaned them over the weekend. Working this week on waxing them.

Tested out my Tire Rack tire storage carry bags. They work well and are not very hard to apply. I did not order the felt disks that go with them, but I did Monday so I will have them when I remove my OZ Leggera wheels for storage.

Now just need to order a storage rack for garage wall.:D

View attachment 12225

View attachment 12226

View attachment 12227

View attachment 12228

Are you using the stock Potenza all seasons as your winter tires?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Are you using the stock Potenza all seasons as your winter tires?

Yes. Bridgestone RE-97.
We do not get a lot of snow most years.
Being from Wisconsin I can handle this, except I must watch for the other idiots who can not drive or decided to drive on bald tires.
I remember last year passing a guy who decided to take his Corvette out in 4" of snow. Winter tires would be a waste here. If we get much snow, my wife (teacher) is off from school. If we get a lot of snow I can now take her Hyundai Tucson Sport with AWD. It handles very well in the snow on all season tires.
Not sure what I will get for winter after the RE-97's.
Will have to look thru Bridgestone line up.

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I stopped by Walmart tonight to get some things for the wife.
While I ran in she stayed in the car. She said a family came out with a full cart and while the parents unloaded the bags into the car a young man of about the age of 10 was looking over at our GTI. After a few seconds he started to walk over to the GTI. It was getting dark so I do not think he could see my wife inside due to the tinted windows. He stopped and looked at the front of the car and was heard telling his Dad:

It is a GTI. I thought it was one. It looks great!"

A new fan. :D

My wife is not a car person, but she thought it was cute.
I just told her the young man had good taste. :cool:

I got into GTIs when i was 9, so i can relate. I would be ecstatic if a young child knew what my car was.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Roof Wrapped!

I have always like the all black roof look so ordered some Gloss Black - 3M 1080 film with the intention of doing the job myself. I have limited experience with film application but thought if I could remove the antenna and use knifeless tape it might go ok. Then I ran into forum member JC Emberton at the Village VW Chattanooga Oktoberfest. JC works for a company that does industrial film, auto film and some wrap work. After some talk I lined them up to do the work when I came to Chattanooga for my 30,000 mile service. We used a link from the forum showing pictures on how the antenna is removed. Once removed JC and crew went to work. Takes a good bit of work and tools so I was glad JC suggested I let them do the work. It turned out well. Just wish I had a better camera.
Some before and after shots plus a couple night pics. Looks very good at night under lights. I first noticed the white with black roof look from the older model top of the line Nissan Maxima. The Clubsport also has this look. I like how it ties in the Maxton spoiler. Looks more uniform with the hatch spoiler.:cool:

Thanks for JC for his efforts. Turned out well!!!!
"The Window Tinting Company"
423-870-3129. Chattanooga TN.

IMG_2899.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2928.JPG

Clubsport example.
IMG_2911.JPG

Last edited:

flygteye

Ready to race!
Looks good. I plan on doing this next year.