GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rubber Puck / Dogbone?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
As far as the 034 inserts and NVH go, my experience was:

lower insert only: mild nvh increase for first 1k miles, then got louder and rougher (it bent)
upper and lower insert: really horrendous nvh, to the point the entire dash was shaking and rattling
upper and lower insert (retorqued to spec after putting the car on ramps, loosening, and starting the car): torquing it down with the engine running reduced NVH by a pretty dramatic margin. Still lots of harshness when the clutch engages, but nowhere near as bad. Now it's "tolerable"
inserts + diff fluid change: drastic reduction in harshness
inserts + diff fluid + spark plugs: slight reduction in harshness

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Running BFI Kit.
Changing to summer tires this weekend I noticed part of the lower insert is torn away. Might not impact anything if the three rubber inserts are still in place. All feels ok still.
Anyone else see this or have thoughts on if this is an issue? The flat part of the insert is very thin so not sure it add structure or if it just helps with install keeping all aligned.

Age: Installed at 60,000. Now at 67,000. Less than 1 year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Running BFI Kit.
Changing to summer tires this weekend I noticed part of the lower insert is torn away. Might not impact anything if the three rubber inserts are still in place. All feels ok still.
Anyone else see this or have thoughts on if this is an issue? The flat part of the insert is very thin so not sure it add structure or if it just helps with install keeping all aligned.

age?

The bfi are poly, right? Poly doesn't have a long service life. It's typically impacted by heat, cold, water vapor, and uv. Every poly product I've ever used degrades in 2-3 years and requires replacement on a vehicle. I had a wrx where I replaced all bushings with poly, and they were toast in 2 years (cracking and tearing). Replaced them with rubber-oem and the car was fine for another 2 years before i sold it.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
age?

The bfi are poly, right? Poly doesn't have a long service life. It's typically impacted by heat, cold, water vapor, and uv. Every poly product I've ever used degrades in 2-3 years and requires replacement on a vehicle. I had a wrx where I replaced all bushings with poly, and they were toast in 2 years (cracking and tearing). Replaced them with rubber-oem and the car was fine for another 2 years before i sold it.

Age. Less than 1 year.
Installed at 60,000. Now at 67,000.
Stage 1 feels more like rubber. Stage 2 I think is Poly.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
1 year with my poly powerflex hybrid. Glanced at it yesterday and still looks good. Looks like the drivetrain movement pinched that piece too much and it perished. Probably ok to still run but I' keep an ye on it.

Thanks.
That was my thoughts.
This bottom part is so thin it likely just helps hold the three pieces in place.
Might replace in time but will watch.

Any thoughts on how stage 2 insert here only would increase NVH?

Also Diggs24, I think I sent you a PM question.
Did you get.
My mailbox was full so wanted to make sure it sent out.
I have emptied some if you can reply again if you sent prior.

Edit, I see my answer. Did not send. No record.
I will redo and ask my question again. Thanks.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Have not received any squirrel-sized mail.
Stage 2 would likely vibe worse. If it's same design will probably fail same as well.

Stage 2 insert pieces are longer. I think this would offer more even pull similar to 034 lower and new upper insert part. But I also think more NVH. The stage one is a short insert which might cause the dog bone arm to rock the lower insert, which might cause this pinching of the think rubber flat part of the insert.
Can feel stage one a fair amount at idle so would like to not go higher.
But stage one is not so bad my Wife has noticed. So, can’t be that bad.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
age?

1000% agree. I did a full poly suspension bushing swap and had the same experience. I despise having to put poly anywhere on my car unless I am given no other option. I'll take the additional compliance from rubber over the clunking, banging, popping, creaking and squeaking that the poly inevitably leaves you with.

uranorab8

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Anyone have any experience with 034's dogbone upper and lower puck replacements? I know the forum has an exhaustive amount of threads pertaining to all the inserts and "no subframe drop" solutions for our platform but I'd like to hear folks responses on full dog bone replacements. So far I've found

-034 Street Density Dogbone Mount Pair (upper and lower)

-Racingline/VWR dogbone and pendulum

and of course the complete engine/transmission/dogbone kit from Superpro that's no longer being made

I recently ordered some cpe engine and transmission 55a duro mounts and I wanted to pair them up with a rubber dogbone replacement. Also thinking of upgrading the front sway bar, so while the subframe is down, I figure it would be a good time to get rid of the oem jello dogbone.