GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rubber Puck / Dogbone?

Toro Rosso

So I just installed 034 engine and trans mounts (street density), so far so good. I have an 034 dogbone insert also, but took it out for the winter due to high NVH. Only mods are APR stage 1 ECU & TCU tunes, and PSS tires. 64K miles.

Are there any non-poly options for the subframe "dogbone" mount? I feel like inserts just destroy the stock rubber and have too high NVH for a daily driver, with carseats :)

I like the idea of the revo puck, but is there a version or alternative in a void free ~60 durometer rubber? Seems to me like the ideal mild upgrade to pair with the street density 034 mounts.

Thanks in advance.

ejones725

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the 034 with the revo puck. I like it. NVH is honestly not bad. It was worse for the first few hundred miles after i put the puck in, then it either got better or i got used to it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Damfino

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI SE PP
I had the Revo puck installed when I upgrade to Stage 2+ (IS38). For stock power levels I think it would be great but it is not holding up well with my setup. I've had it installed for about 8k miles and it is already looked pretty deformed.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
So I just installed 034 engine and trans mounts (street density), so far so good. I have an 034 dogbone insert also, but took it out for the winter due to high NVH. Only mods are APR stage 1 ECU & TCU tunes, and PSS tires. 64K miles.

Are there any non-poly options for the subframe "dogbone" mount? I feel like inserts just destroy the stock rubber and have too high NVH for a daily driver, with carseats :)

I like the idea of the revo puck, but is there a version or alternative in a void free ~60 durometer rubber? Seems to me like the ideal mild upgrade to pair with the street density 034 mounts.

Thanks in advance.

I mean, you could do the old-school way before poly-inserts and fill it with silicone sealant.

Alternatively, go with something like the stage 1 BFI. They typically recommend those for diesel and minimal NVH change.

They use to have a lower durometer specifically for TDIs, but i think they didn't hold up.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Maybe something like this would suit you:

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/p...-front-lower-engine-mount-insert-large-a-2891

I think BFI makes something similar as do others. Basically it's a poly insert. Not a full on hybrid that removes the OEM dogbone (I have his) but also not a piece of metal that will beat up the oem rubber.

Just make sure you get correct type based on your dogbone (type a or b).

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/p...-front-lower-engine-mount-insert-large-a-2891

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/p...t-lower-engine-mount-insert-large-type-b-2436

Toro Rosso

I've heard the revo pucks do settle down once broken in. I'm thinking about trying out the stage 1 BFI insert, as its pretty cheap and easy to remove, then move on to the revo puck if needed. Or maybe someone (034) will invent a solid rubber puck...

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I've heard the revo pucks do settle down once broken in. I'm thinking about trying out the stage 1 BFI insert, as its pretty cheap and easy to remove, then move on to the revo puck if needed. Or maybe someone (034) will invent a solid rubber puck...

My stage 1 bfi insert just came in, will be on the car by the end of next week. I can let you know how it is if you wanna wait but I would imagine not bad at all.

I didn't go with the stage 2 because both my bfi engine/trans mounts are stage 1 and it makes more sense to have all 3 match in stiffness. I also don't want to deal with excessive amounts of noise. Had the stage 2 engine mount and imo it was unbearably loud with any throttle input but others will disagree.

I can tolerate vibrations pretty well. With my current suspension setup + front/rear braces, my car is very stiff and you feel any bump or imperfection on the road. What I can't deal with is annoying sounds/squeaks. Hopefully the bfi insert fits the bill.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
anyone tried both the aluminum inserts and also the poly soft insert and determined which one might offer more NVH?

Toro Rosso

TheGreekFreek, definitely let me know how you like the BFI stage 1 insert once installed. Your eng & trans stage 1 mounts are pretty similar to my 034 setup

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Get rid of your 034 engine/trans mounts and their insert... then buy BFI stage 1 mounts (engine/trans/insert) and install. Enjoy!

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I've had the 034 and currently have the Revo puck. I only got rid of the 034 because the rubber mount was deformed and not keeping the aluminum insert correctly positioned any longer. At that point it was allowing enough engine movement for one of my coolant lines to rub through which had to be replaced. I really like it though before the rubber went to hell. I only went to the Revo out of necessity. I couldn't do another insert without replacing the stock rubber bushing first.

Comparatively, if you think the 034 gave you unpleasant NVH, you are going to hate having a puck. The 034 is extremely mild NVH. If I could do it all over again, I would replace the stock rubber bushing and put both the 034 upper and lower insert in.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Comparatively, if you think the 034 gave you unpleasant NVH, you are going to hate having a puck. The 034 is extremely mild NVH. If I could do it all over again, I would replace the stock rubber bushing and put both the 034 upper and lower insert in.

don't know if you were referring to me or not, but i was talking about the rubber insert compared to the 034 insert. the puck is a whole different ballgame.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
don't know if you were referring to me or not, but i was talking about the rubber insert compared to the 034 insert. the puck is a whole different ballgame.

Was really addressing the OP's inquiry but I do have experience with your question as well. I originally had the BFI Stage 1 insert. I wasn't a fan of the NVH out of the gate but I gave it about 1k miles to break in before deciding to ultimately get rid of it. I switched to the 034 metal insert and was much happier with it.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Was really addressing the OP's inquiry but I do have experience with your question as well. I originally had the BFI Stage 1 insert. I wasn't a fan of the NVH out of the gate but I gave it about 1k miles to break in before deciding to ultimately get rid of it. I switched to the 034 metal insert and was much happier with it.

that makes sense, and also what i experienced. because the 034 doesnt do anything unless you are on full throttle. and then it starts bending..