GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: Koni Special Actives with OEM springs

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
The Bilstein B6 price was at RockAuto, they don't offer Konis. Last I looked, it was $563 with shipping for all 4.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
That’s still not near 47% more…

Also that 500 cost might be for b4 or a coupon code

BCC8755B-D1FF-4360-A038-1C4C6F7370F9.jpeg

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Great info! However, the Koni Special Actives are 47% more than the Bilstein B6... I've heard here and there that the Bilstein rides more firmly, but this seemed more hearsay... has anyone compared them back-to-back on identical cars? We may be comparing apples to oranges, at that price differential. (The addition of new strut mounts and bearings will increase the total price for either, brings the Koni to 40% more). But, I'd rather have a better ride, and better control...
Then again, I've read (not verified) that Konis fail and leak, Bilsteins are more reliable. They may be talking about Koni yellows... (sigh...) I had Bilsteins on my '87 GLI, and two of them failed and leaked. Granted, that was decades ago, they probably share no parts at all, and they were replaced under warranty. (This was one instance, I draw no hard and fast conclusions from a sample size of 1.) Even with a warranty, my labor is not compensated. Either one would be for my daily driver, which I also race in the GS class, which allows either of these.
But, since this is a DD and I live in NE Ohio with the bumps that come with the freeze/thaw cycle, I don't really want something that rides significantly worse than stock. Otherwise, instead of the all-around and practical GTI, I might have gotten something more track-focused. And, no, I would not take the time and effort to adjust Koni Yellows before and after every race, so those are out.
In your scenario, I'd get the Koni SA

jhd

Do the Special Actives have internal bump stops? I have a set that will be installed soon and was wondering about that.
I have used Bilsteins on several Golfs and GTIs in the past which had internal bump stops.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Do the Special Actives have internal bump stops? I have a set that will be installed soon and was wondering about that.
I have used Bilsteins on several Golfs and GTIs in the past which had internal bump stops.

The old FSD versions didn't & I don't think they have changed....Bilstein have them as they are inverted dampers so the bump stop is inside the lower coloured tube...

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Nope, you can re-use the stock ones.

Group N

Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I`m considering the Koni Special Actives, do I re-use my original OEM springs or replace with new OEM springs?

The originals have done 60K miles.