GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review: Koni Special Actives with OEM springs

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
When I was researching these dampers, I had a hard time finding more than a few GTI owners with this combo. So I want to record information and impressions for posterity in case someone else is interested in this ugprade in the future. TL;DR at the bottom.

BACKGROUND

My car: 2015 GTI S, stage 1 tune, some bars and braces, daily driver, autocross ~8-10x a year, 69k miles.

I was unhappy with the ride quality on the stock suspension, 18's, and summer tires. It transmitted too much harshness and busyness to the cabin, which made it tiring and noisy on casual drives. However, I liked the responsiveness and directness of the setup. The goal was to improve ride quality without killing the handling feel, as part of my Grand Touring build.

Considerations:
  • Downsize to 17" wheels — A reasonable option to improve ride quality, but I'm not a fan of the more rubbery feel of the taller sidewalls, and it wouldn't necessarily fix all of my complaints with the suspension. I might still consider this option in the future.
  • Bilstein B4 — Way cheaper, but essentially a stock replacement with slightly improved damping. Probably not worth the time and money unless your stockers are toast and you're on a strict budget. No real promise of improved comfort or handling, as far as I can tell.
  • Bilstein B6 — Similar price and strongly considered due to their reputation for durability, but I had concerns over them being stiffer than stock. Probably a handling upgrade, but not going to help with ride harsness.
  • Koni Sport (adjustable) — More expensive and overkill for my needs. And even at full soft, users tend to agree they’re still pretty stiff.
  • Suspension age — At 69k miles, the suspension was starting to show its age with numerous creaks and clunks, so it was due to be taken apart and some parts replaced anyways.
Several forum members here helped me out with their personal experience using these dampers and other spring/damper combinations. Thank you @GTIfan99, @xXDavidCXx, @avenali312, @gixxerfool, @SouthFL_Mk7.5, @tigeo, @Brian_, @jmblur, @Baka, @Royalion, and others for their first-hand experience, advice, and input related to this project.

ABOUT KONI SPECIAL ACTIVES (SA)

SA’s use Koni’s Frequency Selective Damping (FSD) dual-valving technology (in fact, these dampers used to be named FSD). You can read more here. TL;DR: Bumps and rough roads create high frequency movement, and maneuvers like turning and braking create low frequency movement. High Frequency = lower damping, Low Frequency = higher damping. So the dampers promise to smooth out rough roads for improved comfort, but still control large body motions and cornering forces. Because of how the valving works, Koni very strongly recommends not using these with lower or stiffer springs.

SA's fit a bit of a niche need: Someone who wants to keep the stock ride height and appearance, but smooth out daily driving without sacrificing handling. These are a fairly popular upgrade in other communities: Mazda 3, Mini Cooper, and even BMW and Porsche.

It sounds like a tall order to “do it all,” so let's give it a whirl...

SO, DOES IT REALLY WORK?

It does, and I’m seriously impressed.

Small, sharp bumps and road imperfections are noticeably ironed out, and sometimes completely absorbed. This was my main goal and I'm so, so pleased at the outcome. The ride is significantly less busy now. It doesn’t eliminate all bumps, but it soaks up the little stuff and takes the edge off bigger bumps, like someone went out on the road and shaved all the edges and transitions down. Harshness is mostly gone. And where I used to get some jitter and an unsettled feeling from the stock suspension on hard bumps, now it’s just a single event that's very composed and controlled, feeling very planted. So when I’m just cruising around or commuting, the car is so much more enjoyable, calmer, and comfortable. I no longer find myself swerving around rough areas of the road, I don’t cringe when I hit bumps anymore, and it even makes the cabin quieter because fewer big jolts means fewer squeaks and rattles. It really feels like a more expensive car now, and it's a joy.

What about handling? Is it soft now? No!

When I maneuver, the car is actually more taught and flat than stock. These dampers are indeed slightly more damper-y than stock overall. Body motion and weight transfer is slower and more controlled. Less dive under braking is where I notice it the most. And the high frequency stuff still gets soaked up when I'm cornering hard, so the car stays more composed while being pushed, too. I can’t wait to see how it does at autocross.

So far, I don't feel like the SA's are isolating me from the "road feel" too much, which was my main concern with this change. I can still feel enough and I can still tell what my tires are doing.

(Side note: I installed Euro Sport Camber Mounts at the same time as these dampers, so the additional negative camber contributes some turn-in responsiveness and front-end grip. Fantastic upgrade in its own right.)

SUMMARY

I am incredibly pleased with this upgrade and it honestly exceeded my expectations. I wouldn't go so far as to say this upgrade is transformative, but it's definitely more than just a tweak to the car.

TL;DR: Here's how I would summarize the ride: Firm and smooth. Little stuff is soaked up while handling is flatter. Take the pros of a slightly firmer suspension, the pros of a slightly softer suspension, and combine them with none of the cons of either. 🤌🤌

PARTS LIST

Here's what I used. These part numbers may change over time, but they're current as of Dec-20. 22.
  • Koni Special Active Strut front - 8745-1325 x 2
  • Koni Special Active Shock rear - 8245-1327 x 2
  • Euro Sport Camber Mount, assembled x 2 (these use OE strut mounts)
  • Genuine VW/Audi Strut Bearing - 5Q0412249E x 2
  • Sachs OE Rear Shock Mount - 5Q0513353G x 2
  • All nuts and bolts removed during installation should be replaced

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yup, nailed my thoughts on this, so thank you for writing it up thoroughly haha.

Do I wish my car didn't look like a 4x4 at stock height? Yes.

Do I enjoy the comfortable ride on my commute more? Also yes.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yup, nailed my thoughts on this, so thank you for writing it up thoroughly haha.

Do I wish my car didn't look like a 4x4 at stock height? Yes.

Do I enjoy the comfortable ride on my commute more? Also yes.
I'm one of the lucky ones whose stock ride height is pretty OK and with a decent rake. I know you have reverse rake, which is frustrating.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Update: The Konis kicked ass at autocross yesterday too. Less "floppy" if that makes sense. Brake dive and body roll was less and better controlled -- weight transfer was much neater and tighter. Lift-off oversteer overall was a breeze. Considering my camber and alignment, on lesser dampers the oversteer ease could have gotten out of control several times, but the more controlled weight transfer I think really helped keep the car composed and under my control.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Update: The Konis kicked ass at autocross yesterday too. Less "floppy" if that makes sense. Brake dive and body roll was less and better controlled -- weight transfer was much neater and tighter. Considering my camber and alignment, on lesser dampers the oversteer ease could have gotten out of control several times, but the more controlled weight transfer I think really helped keep the car composed and under my control. Lift-off oversteer overall was a breeze.
Good to know. I've been considering getting a bit back into autocross next year. It's been since like 2008 since I've done one haha. Will the Konis push me out of GS? At least I think that's the class I was in back with the MKV.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Good to know. I've been considering getting a bit back into autocross next year. It's been since like 2008 since I've done one haha. Will the Konis push me out of GS? At least I think that's the class I was in back with the MKV.
Just the Konis won't push you out of GS as you're allowed to swap dampers. You can do dampers and a fat sway bar in GS, for example, which are things people do to these cars usually anyways 👍

https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_f.../060/877/2022_Solo_Rule_Bookv8.pdf?1661354272

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just the Konis won't push you out of GS as you're allowed to swap dampers. You can do dampers and a fat sway bar in GS, for example, which are things people do to these cars usually anyways 👍

https://cdn.connectsites.net/user_f.../060/877/2022_Solo_Rule_Bookv8.pdf?1661354272
Thanks for the link! Funny how the dampers wouldn't bump me out with how much they improve things, but my sort-of-not-really-doing-anything other than noises MST intake tube and inlet would bump me haha.

rainydaze

Car(s)
2019 GTI Autobahn
Another convert, congratz!

Take it to the next level and put on 8 inch 350-400 in/lb rear springs to really put the icing on the cake.

For ride/comfort, would a 350-400 in/lb spring make a difference? The rear 'feels' fine to me in compression and I'm not doubting you. But can you explain why that improves as compared the stock spring rate? Thanks!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Had Koni FSDs with OEM springs & polybushed all round on my last car...did it all myself back in 2007.

Likely to do the same to this car when the suspension wears out...

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
For ride/comfort, would a 350-400 in/lb spring make a difference? The rear 'feels' fine to me in compression and I'm not doubting you. But can you explain why that improves as compared the stock spring rate? Thanks!
Gives the rear a quicker response over bumps, helps the rear catch up.

I usually run a higher rear frequency (cycles per second of the suspension as it responds to bumps) than the front for this reason.

It's just better this way, and it's hard to explain.

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
Great info! However, the Koni Special Actives are 47% more than the Bilstein B6... I've heard here and there that the Bilstein rides more firmly, but this seemed more hearsay... has anyone compared them back-to-back on identical cars? We may be comparing apples to oranges, at that price differential. (The addition of new strut mounts and bearings will increase the total price for either, brings the Koni to 40% more). But, I'd rather have a better ride, and better control...
Then again, I've read (not verified) that Konis fail and leak, Bilsteins are more reliable. They may be talking about Koni yellows... (sigh...) I had Bilsteins on my '87 GLI, and two of them failed and leaked. Granted, that was decades ago, they probably share no parts at all, and they were replaced under warranty. (This was one instance, I draw no hard and fast conclusions from a sample size of 1.) Even with a warranty, my labor is not compensated. Either one would be for my daily driver, which I also race in the GS class, which allows either of these.
But, since this is a DD and I live in NE Ohio with the bumps that come with the freeze/thaw cycle, I don't really want something that rides significantly worse than stock. Otherwise, instead of the all-around and practical GTI, I might have gotten something more track-focused. And, no, I would not take the time and effort to adjust Koni Yellows before and after every race, so those are out.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Koni Special Actives are 47% more than the Bilstein B6
I've heard here and there that the Bilstein rides more firmly, but this seemed more hearsay... has anyone compared them back-to-back on identical cars? We may be comparing apples to oranges, at that price differential. (The addition of new strut mounts and bearings will increase the total price for either, brings the Koni to 40% more). But, I'd rather have a better ride, and better control...
Then again, I've read (not verified) that Konis fail and leak, Bilsteins are more reliable. They may be talking about Koni yellows... (sigh...) I had Bilsteins on my '87 GLI, and two of them failed and leaked. Granted, that was decades ago, they probably share no parts at all, and they were replaced under warranty. (This was one instance, I draw no hard and fast conclusions from a sample size of 1.) Even with a warranty, my labor is not compensated. Either one would be for my daily driver, which I also race in the GS class, which allows either of these.
But, since this is a DD and I live in NE Ohio with the bumps that come with the freeze/thaw cycle, I don't really want something that rides significantly worse than stock. Otherwise, instead of the all-around and practical GTI, I might have gotten something more track-focused. And, no, I would not take the time and effort to adjust Koni Yellows before and after every race, so those are out.
B6 is valved to be more firm. Some say barely so, some say noticeably so, but they're widely accepted to be firmer to some extent. You certainly will have more control and better damping compared to stock. And over decent roads, I'm sure they ride wonderfully. Any shock or strut has a certain % that will fail and leak early. I've read plenty of reports of Bilsteins failing early too. Both Koni and Bilstein are big brands that sell a lot of volume.