Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
The car is currently in the shop with the transmission out :(

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
This was my third gear from my stage 3 WRX.... Note only one gear halfway intact. It's now my desk ornament

Boost to 3rd gear..."you are outmatched"

are you getting helical or straight cut gears?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I really wanted to take my transmission apart to look at 3rd gear. I wanted to see if it was just the teeth sheared off like that or if it was the entire gear in pieces, but I ran out of time and had to take it to the metal recycling in one piece. It would be a good trophy to have.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
If you had metal pieces rattling like popcorn, like I did, you'll probably want to replace (after inspection of course) 2,3 and 5 and bearings.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Oh, 6 speed transmission is already in. There's been a few things happening since the 5 speed broke :p.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
We did throw a mk6 clutch pack onto the car when doing the swap. Least as far as I could tell everything mounted up perfectly, but beyond that I'm pretty much stumped on what might be causing this.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Whelp, the word is in from the shop. The pressure plate bolts were coming loose. Maybe when whoever else is doing this, make sure to use extra locktite on those bolts, they are the worst things possible to come loose in terms of labor, especially when you need to pay for that labor... I'm not exactly sure how that makes it so the pressure plate won't fully compress, but maybe it got slightly off axis or something so it wasn't compressing all of the pressure plate springs equally. Anyways I should be driving tomorrow, and for everyone planning to do the swap, I can confirm that the list I made a few pages back is accurate and complete.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
They did, but I had to take the clutch back off the first time I put it on because I forgot to put the transmission plate on under it. I guess I must have wiped off all of the included locktite by doing that, and that was enough to cause them to come loose.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
They did, but I had to take the clutch back off the first time I put it on because I forgot to put the transmission plate on under it. I guess I must have wiped off all of the included locktite by doing that, and that was enough to cause them to come loose.

I believe the loctite that comes on bolts like that reacts with the friction of being screwed in and then becomes a liquid so definitely a possibility that you accidentally wiped it off.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Car is back and driving! I mixed up pressure plate and flywheel earlier, the flywheel bolts, the stretch bolts with locktite included on them, were fine. The pressure plate bolts, which have no locktite and have a very low torque spec were coming loose. The theory of the mechanic that I also probably agree with is that when seating the pressure plate, it got slightly bound up on the pressure plate studs, and so even at the correct torque spec the bolts weren't fully seated. It seems this was causing most of my vibration issues from before, and now it feels entirely vibration and clutch chatter free.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Glad you got it squared away. I am always paranoid when installing a clutch that I triple check to make sure all the ears on the PP touch the flywheel and that the alignment tool moves in and out freely.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Sucks you had to lose out on money loke that, but at least problem is solved! Any news on the ecu part of the trans swap? Also hows the car feel any video rolling through the gears yet?