MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Nice, even got the gear shift knob!

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
GLI ratios.JPG

Found these for a '16 GLI, dunno if that helps.

Good luck on the swap!

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Well, add me to rest in pieces 3rd gear club.

Happened today just rolling into 3rd accelerating hard.

And I wasn't even running much e85, probably e15, so down on power.

What sucks is just added bfi mounts, wavetrac, stage 3 endurance clutch.

So if I want to go 6 spd, will lose all of those and have to buy 6 spd compatible versions.

Should have just gone 6spd from the beginning, but took the easy road.

So now it's go cheap with another 5spd and risk destroying another one or go all in for the 6 spd.

6sp $1000
Lsd $1000
Clutch $1200
Mount $300
Starter $300
Axles $700
Labor $3000 (guessing. No idea)
Total $7500
Might get some back from selling of parts, but probably fraction.

Or
5spd $400
Labor $2000 (guessing again)
Total $2400

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Oof. Well, hopefully you can inspect the wavetrac, and if it's fine potentially make back some of the money lost. I was able to sell my clutch after ~8 months of sitting in the garage for half the price I bought it for (still kind of rough for only 3k miles on it).

For the clutch, ECS's $600 clutch receives a big recommendation from me. It's held up fantastically, has a good pedal feel. Easily comparable to clutches twice it's price https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...-forged-steel-flywheel-1885lbs/015123ecs01kt/. Also, the starter was $40 off of ebay for me, and I think the axles were ~$200 from o'rilley's. Also, because if you have all of the parts it's just a straight swap, labor should only be ~$1000-1500 at max (clutch is quoted at a 6-7hr job, + a few more hours extra, + some extra for installing LSD). Also, add $70 for a clutch line + fluid, and $40 for 2 liters of transmission fluid, but I think that's everything. Hopefully that'll save you some money in your calculation.

I was going to recommend saving money on labor and doing it yourself like I do for the IS20 swap, but no, don't try to do this yourself unless you are feeling confident. There's nothing fundamentally challenging about it, but it is a lot.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Updating 4 years later:

I eventually figured out how to fix the gear ratios using open source tuning. I had to adjust the axes of the gear detection tables to match the format of the golf R. The R's table lists one rpm/kph value per gear instead of two like the base golf and GTI which had values straddling the actual value. I'm not sure why that worked, but it's all good now.

Since the installation, I've put 36k miles on the car (now at 65k), and everything's been great. The only rough bit has been the gas mileage on the highway, which is 5-10mpg worse than it used to be, but I expected that. If I were to do it again, I'd probably use a mk7 6 speed for the longer ratios, but I'm going to be awd swapping my car in the near future, so I'm happy to have the close ratios for that.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Updating 4 years later:

I eventually figured out how to fix the gear ratios using open source tuning. I had to adjust the axes of the gear detection tables to match the format of the golf R. The R's table lists one rpm/kph value per gear instead of two like the base golf and GTI which had values straddling the actual value. I'm not sure why that worked, but it's all good now.

Since the installation, I've put 36k miles on the car (now at 65k), and everything's been great. The only rough bit has been the gas mileage on the highway, which is 5-10mpg worse than it used to be, but I expected that. If I were to do it again, I'd probably use a mk7 6 speed for the longer ratios, but I'm going to be awd swapping my car in the near future, so I'm happy to have the close ratios for that.
AWD Golf!!!?? YES! 10 MPG hit sucks! Race car shit.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
BECAUSE RACECAR