GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R MHGERD - 2016 Golf R DSG Oryx White - The "not a build thread" build thread

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I am having issues with a ECS Tuning HD part. Think bearing but might be mount.
I will ask for old parts once I get removed so I can inspect.
Wondering about ECS Tuning HD parts.

I've had a lot of experience with mounts between my MK6 and now sadly my MK7...

What I'm hearing from my mount sounds exactly like rubber rubbing metal, as in improper vulcanization from the mount to it's internal structure. It's mostly when cold (sub 60 degrees). ECS is refunding me, but the swap is either expensive or time consuming depending on if you pay a shop or DIY. Seems like a crap shoot to me.

The issue I had before was with the passenger ECS mount not being orientated properly with the bearing, and that was remedied 100%. Installer error.

Just for reference on my MK6 I used 034 HD mounts, and I still got cold squeaks, but nothing as bad as I have now.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I've had a lot of experience with mounts between my MK6 and now sadly my MK7...

What I'm hearing from my mount sounds exactly like rubber rubbing metal, as in improper vulcanization from the mount to it's internal structure. It's mostly when cold (sub 60 degrees). ECS is refunding me, but the swap is either expensive or time consuming depending on if you pay a shop or DIY. Seems like a crap shoot to me.

The issue I had before was with the passenger ECS mount not being orientated properly with the bearing, and that was remedied 100%. Installer error.

Just for reference on my MK6 I used 034 HD mounts, and I still got cold squeaks, but nothing as bad as I have now.

Thanks for info.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
did you need vcds to wire up the helix? curious how you have your sub set up? what sub did you go with? any pics of set up?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
did you need vcds to wire up the helix? curious how you have your sub set up? what sub did you go with? any pics of set up?
The helix setup is an amp/DSP unit and a sub, it's a VW add-on for the factory base stereo. It doesn't need any coding from VCDS to work, but you do need to code the helix box for your car.

I don't have it installed yet but it looks like this, replaces your spare tire:

https://goo.gl/images/3xwKRf

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

rr1santos

Ready to race!
got it. How do those sound? do they give noticeable low end?

trying to figure out how to add a sub to my 7r and seems like the helix is more or less plug and play?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
got it. How do those sound? do they give noticeable low end?

trying to figure out how to add a sub to my 7r and seems like the helix is more or less plug and play?
I don't have mine installed, but there are a few threads on here with people discussing it's sound quality. It's a complete upgrade, and it's not meant to thump like 2 12's with a 1000w amp, so depending on what your goals are it might be a nice upgrade for you from the base audio system.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Flow Design front lip installed (on a very dirty car)!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Last weekend I was able to install a few new bits on the engine side of things, Leyo Motorsport Turbo Inlet Pipe and Turbo Muffler Delete! I spent a lot of time researching all of the options out there for these parts, some offerings had some design elements I didn't like, others were a bit too pricey. I'm 100% happy with my choice from Leyo. Both parts were easy to fit, built well, even packaged nicely.

Now that I've installed both, and cut the hell out of my hands working in that tight space behind the head, I have to say I probably would skip the TMD if I could do it all over. That said, there is no downside to the TMD, I just don't know that it added much noise I could hear in the car over regular intake noise. The combo of the two however feel great as far as intake noise, throttle response and possibly even a little improvement in spool. The TIP can be swapped in 15 mins tops, I highly recommend it. If you're installing a TMD, do yourself a favor and get the TIP as well and do them both at the same time. You can see what a difference it makes from the pics:

IMG_20170304_091736 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20170304_091748 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

IMG_20170304_091702 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Also, the PCV tube from the stock inlet can be a BITCH. Everywhere I looked just said you gotta pull until it pops off, and that is pretty much it. Consider where your hands are going to go when they separate to avoid skewering yourself if possible!

IMG_20170304_084126 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Ordered an OBDeleven unit from DAP, got it within a few days, THANKS GUYS!

Went more than a little crazy on programming hahaha.

Here's what I had done already:
Soundaktor disabled (0% volume)
Fan Speed lights on when in AUTO
Compass on top/center of cluster
Passenger mirror dip (doesn't work, YET)

Here's what I did, using a few threads here, one big thread on Vortex, and this: https://sites.google.com/a/naturalnetworks.ca/vw-golf-mk7-vcds-how-to/

XDS to Strong (mixed feelings on this)
Disabled "Starting Vibration Reduction" (I think this actually does some good, not without risks I suppose)
Urban Joke Tail Light programming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFKxqfH6IaQ (mixed feelings there)
SOME of the Xenon mods from this thread (big thanks to the OP there): http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28873
Disabled chime with door open and ignition on
Enabled all 4 brake lights and hazard flashing on hard braking

There are still a few things I want to research, and if anyone has any VCDS/OBD11 suggestions bring em!

Next mod INCOMING - folding mirrors

Ordered from Alibaba and shipped right away. With OBD11, I'll be able be code the mirrors to fold on lock/unlock, as well as enable the puddle light and keep it on during the folding (if that isn't weird haha).

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Power folding mirrors are one of the first mods I've gotten done. So worth!

Also, did you remove the NAR lighting restrictions? Few months ago I wanted to do that but OBDEleven had no way of re-setting the headlight position...

Sorry I didn't respond, for some reason I didn't get a notification.

I'm definitely looking forward to the mirrors! Should be completed by the end of the month.

What I changed for the lighting was region to ECE from NAR, then I enabled the 4 additional light modes described in the thread I linked, then I did the "basic settings" steps under adaptation. Only these steps, because I don't have driver assist:

(2016 & 2017) (Remove NAR Restrictions)
55 – Headlight Regulation – Coding
Select: market
Change to: ece (Default = nar)
Select: City light (enable AFS patterns)
Change to: enabled (Default = not enabled)
Select: rain_light
Change to : enabled (Default = not enabled)
Select: all_weather_light
Change to : enabled ( Default = not enabled)
Execute (green check)

55 – Headlight Regulation – Basic Settings (Run & Acknowledge Setup)
Select: Basic headlamp setting
Execute (green check)
55 – Headlight Regulation – Basic Settings
Select: Acknowledge basic setting
Execute (green check)

You need to do those last steps after all the settings on level ground, when I did that first I had an error, but after acknowledging the headlights re-leveled/did a little dance and my error went away.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Only a little update, I was first in line to grab a new Emmanuele Design rear sway bar upgrade to match my lowering springs:

https://www.emmanueledesign.com/col...r-rear-sway-bar-upgrade-1?variant=40329498314

Had it installed at the shop on a Saturday, and Sunday I went for a loop up HWY 39/Azusa Canyon. The car is much more stable in corners, and it was already extremely flat and controlled. The rear sway bar added that little extra confidence and control.

Definitely a worthwhile mod, and a great product from an awesome shop/company!