GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Poor Gas Mileage Thread. Help!

Qwibby

Ready to race!
Since I purchased my 16 GTI Se I've always gotten pretty bad gas mileage. But within the past few months it's gotten even worse. I bought Eurodyne thinking a tune would help and it hasn't at all.

I have my recall done, I've measured at the pump from 3 different stations and I've made best 19.54 mpg. Or 7.99 gallons on 155 miles which was at 1/4 tank. From the FB forums there seems to be a pocket of us with just absolutely terrible gas mileage while most achieve 30.

I drive highway to work and normal streets home, light throttle. I've tried using cruise control and not using cruise control. Nothing improves.

I have
CTS intake
CTS turbo muffler delete
CTS Charge Pipes
Bfi stage 1 mounts
Eurodyne ecu and tcu tune

The tech where I work (VW dealer) after spit balling had no ideas beyond a sticky injector. Him and I both agreed that should throw a light though. So he recommended the VW fuel injector cleaner and go from there.

I have pictures of my gauges to show evidence of this.

Any thoughts? I'm like going insane.

I also have logs from Eurodyne and HP Tuners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qwibby

Ready to race!
Periodically, none had a major effect that I noticed. It's always been pretty bad but the last 3 tanks have been pure miseryz

Qwibby

Ready to race!
I'm having a tech either today or tomorrow throw it on a lift and check all my Charge Pipes and sensors down that way. The most perplexing is zero codes.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I posted this on the ED thread, but post up a log :) my mpg has gotten worse with colder temps but not nearly as bad as yours from the sound of it.

Qwibby

Ready to race!
Yeah but it's always been quite terrible

Qwibby

Ready to race!

This is a pull from yesterday, I have a long log from when I was 91 HT. I'll have to email that.

Or find me on fb. Pm
For name

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Can you log the knock sensor? APR just had a post where they had to remove the aftermarket engine mounts because they were triggering the knock sensor and causing the engine to constantly adjust for non existent knock.

When was the last time you ran the car on a stock tune? (that's the second place I would start).

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Pull looks good. Honestly looks just like a 91oct pull with an IS38 lol. ~10° timing on a pull is normal.

I'll PM you my email and whenever you have time, email some logs with normal driving so we can see what it's doing there. Since that's where you're spending most of your time, that's where fuel consumption might be off.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Can you log the knock sensor? APR just had a post where they had to remove the aftermarket engine mounts because they were triggering the knock sensor and causing the engine to constantly adjust for non existent knock.

When was the last time you ran the car on a stock tune? (that's the second place I would start).

+1 on stock tune. Might be worth it to run it for a tank or two and compare.

Qwibby

Ready to race!
Well I'm assuming timing correction is KR, I've seen zero timing correction except for a blip or 2.

I'm stage 1 mounts so they are soft but I'd be willing to have the tech swap those in if I have too.

I was avoiding the stock flash because it takes so damn long

Qwibby

Ready to race!
+1 on stock tune. Might be worth it to run it for a tank or two and compare.

Remember I posted my stock gas mileage was just as bad.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
To a certain extent (I know you are much lower), but don't expect to get 6MT mileage on a DSG.
The trip has everything to do with it! Expect a full L/100km of greater consumption when using a DSG if you are comparing to fuelly.com

Do you drive with auto shift or manual mode? I accel really slow to get 30-32mpg per tank avg. The minute you are in boost you are going to suck gas. Any extra throttle means energy spent spooling the turbo as well, so if you stay below it helps tremendously over an entire tank.

Qwibby

Ready to race!
I wonder if because I have aftermarket
Charge Pipes it can't compensate for air flow.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
What fuel station are you pumping from? Straight fuel or blending as well?