GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Poor Gas Mileage Thread. Help!

Qwibby

Ready to race!
What fuel station are you pumping from? Straight fuel or blending as well?

I've usually run shell.

I tried 3 different shell stations and 2 different Sunoco stations totally and all have given me the same poor results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qwibby

Ready to race!
Have you tried going back to the stock intake?

I have not. I wouldn't think that would drop me 10mpg

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
So you were really bad stock too? Bone stock? Might need to get it checked out if so

Qwibby

Ready to race!
So you were really bad stock too? Bone stock? Might need to get it checked out if so

Yeah i was little more heavy footed but still I averaged low 20's. Definitely not advertised.

Qwibby

Ready to race!
Not 10, but it would be interesting if it changes at all.

Ultimately going back to stock would probably help in troubleshooting. Not fun though.

Definitely not fun, but I'm having a tech poke around at all the work I've done. We are a very mod friendly dealer so they often do bolt ons here

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
I thought my 29 - 32 mpg was bad, seeing others on here saying 36+ mpg and was like WHAAA? Low 20's seems much to low for this car. Does it have a hard time creating boost? I wonder if something is wrong with the wastegate or DV that is causing the engine to work harder to create power thus eating fuel in the process. But, since those are both controlled by ECU . . . and no codes.. . this is a hard one.

Qwibby

Ready to race!
Global now you see my pain.

It seems there are a pocket of us with this issue. Stock, tuned, different company tunes and parts and not trans or year specific.

Qwibby

Ready to race!
I went through 1/8th tank driving the 17 miles to work. I had it on cruise at 70 the entire way.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
If that is from full -- that sadly may be normal. My gauge (and I know others) drop like a rock from "F".

Your mileage still does sound wayyy off.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
If that is from full -- that sadly may be normal. My gauge (and I know others) drop like a rock from "F".

Your mileage still does sound wayyy off.

Did you do the evap recall yet? You should get more than that out of the first 8th of a tank. Otherwise the fuel up cuts off early.

Qwibby

Ready to race!
My recall has been done, I'm wondering if I have a sensor calibration issue from tank to gauge.

But then I remember I put 8 gallons in with the needle on 1/4

Qwibby

Ready to race!
I had the rs7 plugs installed a month ago or so. I wonder if that's a possibility