GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Poor Gas Mileage Thread. Help!

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ya I remember someone in the Uni tune thread having the same issues and that might have been you. Hopefully we can find a resolution for users having similar issues

Qwibby

Ready to race!
Yeah, I feel like it's a manufacturing issue.

We all need to find a common denominator here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
On their big turbo thread (kyles car), APR yanked off all the aftermarket boost pipes, because they felt they were causing issues. The OEM ones were fine flowing in excess of 540 crank hp.

Qwibby

Ready to race!
I did a test today, omw to work I go down this giant ass hill, 3 lane highway and very smooth. I put the trans in neutral and noticed a significant resistance. My car almost slowed down, which does not seem right at all. All the cars I've driven down that hill always accelerated down the hill in neutral. (I can drive stick just referring to auto cars lol)

So I'm working today and the one tech is going to check my alignment.

Qwibby

Ready to race!
On their big turbo thread (kyles car), APR yanked off all the aftermarket boost pipes, because they felt they were causing issues. The OEM ones were fine flowing in excess of 540 crank hp.

I really don't feel like taking them off lol, it was a pain. Also the tech just re adjusted and checked all the Pipes and connections last night

Mk7PR

Passed Driver's Ed
People having these issue have the recall done or still haven't ? I thought the suction pump recall partially solved these ...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Qwibby

Ready to race!
I have it done, seems it's either side of the recall coin. I've crosschecked everything I can think of lol

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion

I think I mentioned this in the Intercooler thread, but yes, our pipes are fine for the CFM we flow. Aftermarket pipes could possibly lose you power by slowing the charge speed and introducing extra PD. I would love if someone just made a better designed stock piece/diameter. You just don't want your charge speed to go past 444ft/sec iirc

Qwibby

Ready to race!
I did it for efficiency/constant diameter. Them being 2.5" will not make a huge difference in spool time. I've been in the game for 2 decades almost.

Qwibby

Ready to race!
With how small our turbo is I doubt there is little if any effect. I didn't notice it

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
It's not the spool time (I did it too.. well yet to install mine lol) it's more the pressure drop. Really it just shows they're not a restriction. I did a lot of research on it and not unless you go super big is it really a problem.

Qwibby

Ready to race!
Call me old fashioned I like efficiency lol, in terms of turns and radius the stock Pipes imo leave a lot to be desired

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Since I had a mk6 TDI as my last car I have a habit of keeping the RPM at 2k rpm since that was the efficiency magic spot. Seems to work well for me and the GTI too.

FWIW, I also drive spirited. Tapping into the boost several times every day on my commute :D

Something is surely up with your car. I've been averaging 28-30mpg since I bought my car. One tank I got 36mpg that included a trip to h2oi from Baltimore and back. BTW DSG should be getting better mpg than a manual since the higher gears rev a few hundred rpm lower.

How far is your daily commute and does it include lots of hills?

Qwibby

Ready to race!
13 miles to and 7 miles from work. Hills are there yes, but not the entire trip

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
13 miles to and 7 miles from work. Hills are there yes, but not the entire trip

That is a pretty short commute. I travel 20miles to and 20 miles from work.

Have you taken any longer trips? I have a feeling that the short commute is playing a part of the mpg issue.