GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P0413 code

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I never said they cant deny warranty coverage. I said the dealer has the burden of proof when dening warranty. They have to prove the part or modification caused the failure. If your tuned with a big turbo and your strut leaks. They cant deny that. And a thrust bearing failure is caused by sideloading a crank. How exactly does a tune sideload a crank, like say a stage 2 or 3 pressure plate?

And with the water pump failures. A problem so common they got sued and lost. What does a tune have todo with that failure? Was everyone with a waterpump failure tuned?

And just because a business does something doesnt make it legal. My job tried to make employess pay for uniforms. This is against the law in NJ, but they did it anyway.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I’ve done this before, definitely works, but only for so long

I, like others, have had shops replace the whole valve. Idk why they do that when a simple output test proves that isn’t what fails.
I wonder why the issues with the connections?

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
I replaced this connector with a brand new one. It’s verifiably solved my code. For people with this code, this is 99% your issue.

Soot/oil/dirt escape from a nearby pipe and into the connector, making it dirty as shit. You can put some silicone at top of connector to help seal it better. The connector is like 11 bucks and is easy to re-pin.

Amazing on another VAG car of mine, the connector to the center diff under the car which has waded rivers was entirely spotless lab-level clean after 16 years and 200k miles. These SAI valve connectors don’t have a good seal on them for some reason.

Lastly, as has been noted before, the harness is quite taut in this location. I’ve had it lengthened before and that may play a role in the code. Compressed air is your friend, when replacing the plug or not, helps clean out the socket.

Attachments

• C594D59D-DE70-4D08-AD66-058AF94F7698.jpeg
    C594D59D-DE70-4D08-AD66-058AF94F7698.jpeg
    699.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 04B0B4DE-6474-418F-9A67-5F533442D71B.jpeg
    04B0B4DE-6474-418F-9A67-5F533442D71B.jpeg
    879.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 17CF3C1F-4F3C-4679-B29B-C77725294924.jpeg
    17CF3C1F-4F3C-4679-B29B-C77725294924.jpeg
    893 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Sean@ItsNotStock

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE DSG
I seem to be having some combi valve wiring issues as well, but can't seem to find the output test for anything SAI related in OBDEleven...
What is the combi valve output test under?? SOS!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I seem to be having some combi valve wiring issues as well, but can't seem to find the output test for anything SAI related in OBDEleven...
What is the combi valve output test under?? SOS!
Engine/output test/search for "secondary"...one for pump one for valve.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I actually did this and nothing came up...

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the Cobb accessport since OBDEleven also won't show P codes with the ap.
You should have full functionality with OBDEleven. Do you have an Iphone?

Sean@ItsNotStock

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE DSG
You should have full functionality with OBDEleven. Do you have an Iphone?
Yes using an iPhone. I had an android and the older OBDeleven and I finally caved and bought the next gen for my iPhone so that I could perform an output test to check the wiring & valve. Except I have nothing for secondary air at all under Engine > Output Tests.

Everything under Engine is weird with the Cobb. P codes won't show because of however Cobb's software is setup.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Another weird one w/r to this issue...I have the connector/wiring issue where it must jiggle etc. and loose connection momentarily where I get the code stored but it' "green" when using OBDEleven which indicates that it's not persistent and not currently having comms issues with that valve. I do however get the CEL from time to time and it's almost always on heavy acceleration...well....my boost tap vacuum hose that runs back to the firewall for my boost gauge was threaded/weaved through that harness and I bet it was getting rigid with boost and moving the wiring...probably the cause of the whole thing in teh first place. I re-routed and while I am getting the "soft" code regularly I haven't gotten the CEL since doing that. One of these days I'll move all the crap out of the way and get to that plug and clean it.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Mine has gotten to be a CEL every drive now...sucks. Valve works fine with output test. It's typically on fast acceleration so my guess is just engine movmeent/rocking causes a momentary loss of connection which throws the CEL. I almost always have as stored soft code for it so it must be the length of time the connection is lost is what determines soft or hard code/CEL. I'll see if I can't get to this and clean it...I know that's what it is. It's not easy to get to for sure and I have aftermarket charge pipes which compounds that.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok...got this sorted finally. A few things:

My wiring was replaced by a dealer tech about a year ago and I had no codes for a long time. Started getting them a few mos ago every time I drove sometimes having a CEL. Same issue, if I did the output test for the combi valve it wouldn't always work but if I touched/jostled the wiring harness it would kick on. Finally pulled off the intake and moved the charge pipe out of the way and had a good look. I can see where the tech re-ran the wiring to the connector/combi valve. I think the connector itself was loose. Messing with all of it/pushing on that connector seems to have completely sorted it.

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Ok...got this sorted finally. A few things:

My wiring was replaced by a dealer tech about a year ago and I had no codes for a long time. Started getting them a few mos ago every time I drove sometimes having a CEL. Same issue, if I did the output test for the combi valve it wouldn't always work but if I touched/jostled the wiring harness it would kick on. Finally pulled off the intake and moved the charge pipe out of the way and had a good look. I can see where the tech re-ran the wiring to the connector/combi valve. I think the connector itself was loose. Messing with all of it/pushing on that connector seems to have completely sorted it.
I've been dealing with a P0413 for a few months now. It would come and go randomly. I finally took a look at the combi valve last weekend and ran tests through OBD11. Both the solenoid and pump tests worked everytime no matter how much I wiggled the cables / connector. Only been a week but It hasnt come back yet despite ~500 miles and multiple redline pulls. Like you said maybe my connector or sensor was just loose. Probably unrelated, but I also cleaned my air intake filter and SAI filter the same time I played around with the Combi valve connectors.

Knowing my luck it will come back this afternoon because I wrote the post.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Update. Car also now passes readiness for the SAI system...wouldn't before.