GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Osram MK7 headlight housings - interested?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Anyone know if they make one compatible with the Lighting package? I just emailed them but was hoping to get a faster response here.

The site I linked to has "Halogen Upgrade" and "Xenon Upgrade" options. I have halogens but if the lighting package is Xenons then they have you covered... If you click one of their products and scroll down it actually gives the stock part numbers the Osram unit replaces, pretty handy.

Scala

Ready to race!
The BIG issue here is that a Mk.7 in Europe and in the US are two different cars.
Add the Facelift changes and things get even more complicated.
The US Federal specification cars have different headlights with different wiring and electronics and computer controls.
I'm waiting for reports of installations by people, braver than myself, who had success with US specification cars but .... the abundance of previously installed units on EBay is not confidence inspiring.

Until then I'll continue trying to source the German built Osram H7 and H15 bulbs. They're not quite as good as HID but according to Osram they produce 4300°K daylight color and a 40 meter longer beam.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
MK7RS is in Los Angeles according to is member profile. Lights are working on his car. He did mention the pinout didn't match that didn't seem to be an issue. Hopefully he'll drop back in and tell us if he corrected that or just plugged them in as is and connected the line to the battery like it asks for.

I wasn't that concerned with "legality" of them regarding European regulations. I don't expect these would be any more legal in the US than any of the other offerings from multiple vendors. I don't even think it's a sure thing that retrofitting the lighting package, using all VW parts, is legal because the car didn't come with it.

Ignoring the legal aspect, osram doesn't show fitment for facelift anything as far as I can tell. The model years they spec are all pre-facelift. And the facelidt cars have different part number headlights which I didn't notice on any of the product pages.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Scala

Ready to race!
MK7RS is in Los Angeles according to is member profile. Lights are working on his car. He did mention the pinout didn't match that didn't seem to be an issue. Hopefully he'll drop back in and tell us if he corrected that or just plugged them in as is and connected the line to the battery like it asks for.

We are all waiting for him.
The VW trained mechanic who installed all the APR stages, software and hardware, on my car tells me that the car's software detects all such changes and may not like them. At any rate if it works on MK7RS 's car without issues then we'd be more confident.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
...the car's software detects all such changes and may not like them...

True, would be interested to see a VCDS scan with the lights installed/on... Getting lights to work is one thing, getting them to work without throwing codes (even ones that only show up in a scan) is another for sure.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I've got these on order, they're coming from Canada & seem to be caught up in the postal strike issues that they've been having up there so I have not received these yet. $550/pair. https://www.becautoparts.com/products/2014-5-17-mk7-golf-hid-headlights-2018-gti-style

Golf_20Mk7.5_20GTI_20headlight_20for_20MK7_203_zpsm3p0fqy7_large by Richard Velardo, on Flickr

These are only for MK7 that came with halogen headlamps, correct?

Do they have swivelling and static cornering functionality?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
the reps thus far don't have swiveling capability (they don't connect to steering angle, thus using the 12 pin and not the 14pin). static cornering is easy that previous reps from Bec (Ed's Reps) and RFB have had on lock since the last design.

MyGolf7

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, just for the cars with halogens although they're set up for and can be ordered with Morimoto HIDs. No swiveling headlights for cornering, but I think they have the cornering bulb. I'll find out for sure when they arrive. Canada Post sent me a message that these might take until March to arrive.

The blurb from the BEC web-site;

Due to popular demand, we will have facelifht style GTI headlights available for your MK7 (2014.5-17) cars.

There are a number of different manufacturers making similar headlights, but these are sourced from the same manufacturer that has successfully provided headlights for the Mk7 cars for the last 4 years.

If you do not want leaky, or low quality headlights come and get ours instead.

These fit the Mk7 series of cars, from 2014.5 -17. They do not fit the 2018 Mk7.5 cars as they have a different shape housing, see our add for the 2018 headlights instead.

These lights have been tested locally as well.

MK7 Facelift GTI Style Headlight Features

Bi-Xenon Projectors for low\high beams, you can use either H7/D2H HID Bulbs
E-Code beam pattern
You can also use H7 halogen bulbs if you do not want to use HID Bulbs.
LED DRLs (daytime running lights) white when on, and when turn signals are on, they amber.
Turn Signals are amber, and dynamic
Secondary inner high beam
Plug and play installation, no need for coding or any modifications
One year warranty on the LEDs
See our section on Lamin-x to get some protective film for your car
PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING WITHIN NORTH AMERICA.

Scala

Ready to race!
I've got these on order .....

I would have ordered them as well were it not for the following mention on the vendor's listing:

- You can also use H7 halogen bulbs if you do not want to use HID Bulbs.

My first question is how filament H7 bulbs designed for reflector housings can possibly perform in projector housings. Second question is the absent mention of the H15 bulbs.

Please post your installation and performance experiences. Btw is yours a Facelift GTI?

MyGolf7

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine is a sportwagen SEL (note that the plates are now corrected to DER WGEN). We'll find out how this all works and since I'm not planning on using the halogens again this should not be an issue for me. "The Plan" is to paint the chrome strips in the grille to match the red in the headlights, like on a GTI, but we all know how plans work out.

IMG_0131 by Richard Velardo, on Flickr

IMG_0212 by Richard Velardo, on Flickr

Scala

Ready to race!
Great looking car you have there. Do those have a longer wheelbase than the GTI?
As for the car next to it I've had 3 NAs and one each NB, NC and ND.

MyGolf7

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure about the wheelbase, I'd have to go look that up, but there is about 1 foot more length behind the rear seat. It's perfect for the dogs & for my wife's rollator.

That's my '08 NC, that car has 11 years worth of mods. If you're interested in the MIatas, you'll find me on Miata.net

Milk242

Car(s)
GTI, M3, Model 3, R6
Doesn't seem to work for GTI lightning package. This is what an Osram rep emailed me.