GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Leak Under Warranty with Tune

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
2019 GTI Rabbit

About to go into service for an oil leak at 8k miles. Looks like rear main seal.

Service manager said for all warranty work they plug them in to check for TD1 for all warranty work. The way he worded seemed like a TD1 voids all warranty work. Seems like a CYA on his behalf or a scare tactic.

Anyone here have an oil leak like the rear main seal fixed under warranty with a flash tune? None piggyback.

I was going to flash this weekend but now I am hesitant.

My MK6 had the ECU replaced, water pumps replaced, carbon cleaning done all under warranty with an APR tune.

Is the MK7 that much different?

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Different? Yes, it is.
Don't flash yet.
Get a jb4, or pay to play.

The service manager isn't just trying to scare you, he wants you to continue to come to them for work on your car. He wants you to keep that factory warranty and bring them tons of business in the coming years.

Gremlins usually come early. Some warranty stuff might be covered, even if tuned, but man.... I wouldn't bet on it.

If it's a definite problem due to a common fault, then maybe VWOA will cover stuff for you.
If it's a somewhat less common problem, enjoy the experience of purchasing the new parts and paying for the installs. Builds character.

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
Wait till it is fixed before you flash, why bring on possible extra attention and issues?

Waiting is not an issue. It's the concept of all warranty work being rejected afteralwards.

IE Say a brake caliper freezes up. Would a flash tune really be the cause? Yes, And yes, I get it, tune means faster aka harder breaking, but in terms of my MK6 it was not an issue.

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
Different? Yes, it is.
Don't flash yet.
Get a jb4, or pay to play.

The service manager isn't just trying to scare you, he wants you to continue to come to them for work on your car. He wants you to keep that factory warranty and bring them tons of business in the coming years.

Gremlins usually come early. Some warranty stuff might be covered, even if tuned, but man.... I wouldn't bet on it.

If it's a definite problem due to a common fault, then maybe VWOA will cover stuff for you.
If it's a somewhat less common problem, enjoy the experience of purchasing the new parts and paying for the installs. Builds character.

I apparently have mechanical breakdown insurance through Geico and will confirm if they will cover things if VW denies it due to the tune. Last I spoke to them they said modifications like air intakes are not issues. Now I will confirm if VW denies something, will Geico cover it.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
read the ten vw commandments. these threads arn't allowed. but idc am bored at work.

1. Get your oil leak fixed before you flash.
2. If you flash, there is no telling what they will or will not warranty
3. Some dealers are cool, some are dicks

Safe route is jb4 which is almost the same as Stage 2 tune (minus the timing) its super easy to use and set the maps, run the logs, and you can resell for money. all around win

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Chances are they will cover it if tuned, but I would wait. No reason to risk it.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Can almost guarantee that an engine failure due to particles being sucked in by a dodgy air filter would be an attempted denial by an insurance company...

Modding cars is dumb and you don't want to talk about it when things go wrong. Fun as hell and your favorite thing to talk about when things go right.

It's a totally bad idea and you shouldn't bother, but hurry up and get to it already while the car's still young enough to make double the hp without old parts breaking.

See, you can't win, grass is always greener. Get even just one year out of a JB4 tuning box first is probably the best compromise.

Only losers use Tapatalk

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
I tuned my car at about 1000 miles.

I was also wearing a shirt that said "I void warranties" when I bought the car lol

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Waiting is not an issue. It's the concept of all warranty work being rejected afteralwards.

IE Say a brake caliper freezes up. Would a flash tune really be the cause? Yes, And yes, I get it, tune means faster aka harder breaking, but in terms of my MK6 it was not an issue.

Brakes aren't related directly to powertrain so the warranty would be intact for the rest of the car. However, I cannot guarantee that, so do things at your own risk. Always a safe bet to have extra funds saved up when modding because "shit happens".

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
read the ten vw commandments. these threads arn't allowed. but idc am bored at work.

1. Get your oil leak fixed before you flash.
2. If you flash, there is no telling what they will or will not warranty
3. Some dealers are cool, some are dicks

Safe route is jb4 which is almost the same as Stage 2 tune (minus the timing) its super easy to use and set the maps, run the logs, and you can resell for money. all around win

Missed that post, I will read tonight.

Please keep open as I will report Geicos MBI rules regarding tunes and factory warranties

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
Can almost guarantee that an engine failure due to particles being sucked in by a dodgy air filter would be an attempted denial by an insurance company...

Modding cars is dumb and you don't want to talk about it when things go wrong. Fun as hell and your favorite thing to talk about when things go right.

It's a totally bad idea and you shouldn't bother, but hurry up and get to it already while the car's still young enough to make double the hp without old parts breaking.

See, you can't win, grass is always greener. Get even just one year out of a JB4 tuning box first is probably the best compromise.

Only losers use Tapatalk

Already spoke with Geico, they said as long as they know what mods were done, they are fine with them. I mentioned I installed a cold air intake for $320 and they said it would not affect my MBI rate for my vehicle or deny coverage.

Next step is to get clarification on the scenario if the factory warranty is denied, does Geico MBI cover it.

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you dripping oil onto the pavement? My RMS has been very slowly weeping almost since new and dealer said they won't fix.

No noticable drip yet. But I do have oil where tranny and bell housing meet. More of a weep.

I would call VWoA

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I apparently have mechanical breakdown insurance through Geico and will confirm if they will cover things if VW denies it due to the tune. Last I spoke to them they said modifications like air intakes are not issues. Now I will confirm if VW denies something, will Geico cover it.

Dude, be responsible for yo self.

If you tune, prepare to pay for things.

Pretty sure Geico is supplementary insurance when you have a factory warranty. Part of the way it only costs $5 a month is that you have to get it when you buy the car new..

They’re betting that you won’t have any major services for 3-5 years due to primary warranty.

You just got your car! Enjoy it and mod things that will help you put down power. I waited for 3.5 years to tune. After tires, dog bone and some other fun cosmetic mods.

Bet you’re still on shitty stock tires... good luck putting down power.

If you tune your car now you’ll get used to it in short order and will be chasing the dragon until you’re bored of your car in year 3. Then you want have a warranty and will have to disclose it when you sell, which will impact your value.