GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MK7 Muffler Delete FAQ/Review Thread

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
That's pushing MagnaFlow cat back prices....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Link? All the ones I've seen are $650-750.

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion
It's not all the time but a guy on the mk7 Facebook page will do some group buys

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I've considered building a jig and selling bolt on axle back exhausts with four options:

Single exit aluminized or 304 stainless

Dual exit aluminized or 304 stainless

Not sure how interested people would be since there are local options for muffler deletes. The one I built pictured above is just 3" mandrel bends I had laying around and is welded on. Production units would have a similar to OEM style clamp for diy install (cut you suitcase off, bolt on delete. Fully reverse able if desired)

I think that's a great idea! This platform needs a cheaper axel back option.

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
No problem, it takes $300 just in parts from what I just added up. And that's not including the my time, consumables for my welder and saw, ect.

It's still a toss up of its worth me doing it or not. Exhaust shops can do similar for cheaper but like it's been mentioned above then you're stuck there waiting around and the end product from what I've seen isn't as high quailty. Very few small shops have a mandrel bender to do 3".

Ricked_Em

Go Kart Champion
No problem, it takes $300 just in parts from what I just added up. And that's not including the my time, consumables for my welder and saw, ect.

It's still a toss up of its worth me doing it or not. Exhaust shops can do similar for cheaper but like it's been mentioned above then you're stuck there waiting around and the end product from what I've seen isn't as high quailty. Very few small shops have a mandrel bender to do 3".
Agreed 100% I think you'll get some sales

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
What about a center exit dual, similar to the one DAP was offering at one point? Would love to rock a center exit dual 4" tips with a muffler delete. Of course I'd have to buy the new diffuser with the money I'd save...so that sort of offsets it a bit...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Also, is it a big deal in the long term to go with aluminized vs stainless? Or maybe better put, is it worth the extra expense for stainless if you're keeping the car 3-4+ years?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
What about a center exit dual, similar to the one DAP was offering at one point? Would love to rock a center exit dual 4" tips with a muffler delete. Of course I'd have to buy the new diffuser with the money I'd save...so that sort of offsets it a bit...

I've done a little looking into buying an eGolf rear diffuser and cutting it for a mk6 R style center exit. Could do that for about the same price as the standard GTI duals including the diffuser I think. Depends on if I do an aluminum or stainless plate around the cut outs or not...it might need one to stiffen it up after the exhaust notches are cut out

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Also, is it a big deal in the long term to go with aluminized vs stainless? Or maybe better put, is it worth the extra expense for stainless if you're keeping the car 3-4+ years?

I'm oringially from Ohio and about 10-11 years ago I built a turbo back exhaust on my Cummins and my dads 7.3 Powerstroke. We still have both trucks and neither has any rust issues on the exhaust. The welds pretty quickly turn brown but that's about it. My mk7 exhaust has been on there since Christmas and made some salty trips to the NE, still looks about the same as the previous pics.

So honestly no, I don't think its worth double the money or more. Sure stainless looks cool, but it weighs a lot more and unless you're keeping the car till the wheels fall of its not nessiary

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I'm oringially from Ohio and about 10-11 years ago I built a turbo back exhaust on my Cummins and my dads 7.3 Powerstroke. We still have both trucks and neither has any rust issues on the exhaust. The welds pretty quickly turn brown but that's about it. My mk7 exhaust has been on there since Christmas and made some salty trips to the NE, still looks about the same as the previous pics.

So honestly no, I don't think its worth double the money or more. Sure stainless looks cool, but it weighs a lot more and unless you're keeping the car till the wheels fall of its not nessiary
Cool...thanks for the insight. And VW already makes a diffuser. Pretty pricey, but I'd probably go with it...especially if it can be had for less than ECS' current asking price. https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2727136

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I haven't used facebook in a while but I guess I could make a page for this. It's still up for debate with the wife, so hopefully she'll be on board

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
For those wondering how aluminized holds up to winter weather Vs stainless the section the exhaust hanger is mounted to is 409ss. The rest is aluminized, it's all random tubing I had laying around the garage when I built my muffler delete last Christmas. My car has made a few extended trips to Ohio so it's been in the slushy salty weather.

Had to edit this one brighter so you could see under the car