GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nine81's Silver Wiener Build

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Things we have learned in this process: If you spread the knuckle, you can just wiggle the whole strut body in there nice and easy. Do this before you try to get the upper strut mount to cooperate. Much more successful than (even loosely) bolting up the top hat and then trying to maneuver the strut body into the knuckle.

Apparently I forgot to buy the stretch bolts for the rear, so I'll have to call the dealer today. But at least I've got significant progress.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I can't stop thinking about an EQT Vortex for it. Because for some reason, 400hp just seems like a nice number, and I should have headroom at that point too go faster if I desire. But for some reason I recall being told that IS38 was the sweet spot, and I just can't determine if I'm gonna be disappointed putting in the work to go IS38, and wind up getting a Vortex anyway.

I forget where you live in PA but if you're nearby you can take my car for a spin to see how you like a Vortex on 93 with HPFP and LPFP. I skipped is38 so I can't compare the two but as someone else said, if I'm giving it the beans I'm not starting at 2krpm in 4th gear so I wouldn't typically experience whatever difference there is/was between the is20/is38/vortex at lower rpms. At 3k-3.5k rpm the car just takes off which is how I like it

I will move to MPI (said I wouldn't but I'm always wrong) at some point but I suspect I'll leave well enough alone for at least the summer so I can re-tune in cooler temps.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
FWIW what made me decide against is38 was a string of 3 test drives/rides. I drove & rode shotgun in my dad's freshly stage 1 tuned 6MT M235 coupe (~400hp crank), drove a stock RS3 (400hp crank), and then rode in my friend's stage 2 MK7R DSG (~400 crank). The BMW and the Audi felt pretty darn close according to the butt dyno, but the Stage 2 7R was underwhelming.

Personally, I attributed this to the powerband- the Audi and the BMW both pulled pretty strong to redline, whereas the IS38 was running out of breath. If you're looking for something that will continue to scream to redline, look beyond the IS38.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
FWIW what made me decide against is38 was a string of 3 test drives/rides. I drove & rode shotgun in my dad's freshly stage 1 tuned 6MT M235 coupe (~400hp crank), drove a stock RS3 (400hp crank), and then rode in my friend's stage 2 MK7R DSG (~400 crank). The BMW and the Audi felt pretty darn close according to the butt dyno, but the Stage 2 7R was underwhelming.

Personally, I attributed this to the powerband- the Audi and the BMW both pulled pretty strong to redline, whereas the IS38 was running out of breath. If you're looking for something that will continue to scream to redline, look beyond the IS38.
I forget where you live in PA but if you're nearby you can take my car for a spin to see how you like a Vortex on 93 with HPFP and LPFP. I skipped is38 so I can't compare the two but as someone else said, if I'm giving it the beans I'm not starting at 2krpm in 4th gear so I wouldn't typically experience whatever difference there is/was between the is20/is38/vortex at lower rpms. At 3k-3.5k rpm the car just takes off which is how I like it

I will move to MPI (said I wouldn't but I'm always wrong) at some point but I suspect I'll leave well enough alone for at least the summer so I can re-tune in cooler temps.
Thanks guys! I'm in Harrisburg but travel pretty frequently, @Ezekiel81923 IIRC Royersford isn't too far out of the way on our way to Conshohocken (there's a great lobster roll place there, not to mention KOP) so maybe we can arrange something as the weather warms up.

I did drive a friend's Stage 2 R but always kind of assumed that it felt underwhelming because it was an APR tune, I recall feeling that my Stage 1 EQT felt quicker, or at least came on harder. I'll reach out as we get more into the traveling weather, it'd be cool to do like a mini meetup or something.

also @19birel I see you're Pittsburgh, you ever hit up Chick'n? Their sandwiches are 🔥, we're going to see Iron Maiden in November and definitely going to stop on the way. Also Voodoo Brewing is slaptacular

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Thanks guys! I'm in Harrisburg but travel pretty frequently, @Ezekiel81923 IIRC Royersford isn't too far out of the way on our way to Conshohocken (there's a great lobster roll place there, not to mention KOP) so maybe we can arrange something as the weather warms up.

I did drive a friend's Stage 2 R but always kind of assumed that it felt underwhelming because it was an APR tune, I recall feeling that my Stage 1 EQT felt quicker, or at least came on harder. I'll reach out as we get more into the traveling weather, it'd be cool to do like a mini meetup or something.

also @19birel I see you're Pittsburgh, you ever hit up Chick'n? Their sandwiches are 🔥, we're going to see Iron Maiden in November and definitely going to stop on the way. Also Voodoo Brewing is slaptacular
I haven't heard of Chick'n before, I'll have to make a stop there soon! A buddy of mine was just telling me I should hit up Voodoo actually hahaha Feel free to hmu next time you're in town!

Also fwiw, the R I rode in was EQT Stage 2 on 93 and felt like it was no quicker (even though it definitely was) than my GTI which was just JB4'd at the time.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I haven't heard of Chick'n before, I'll have to make a stop there soon! A buddy of mine was just telling me I should hit up Voodoo actually hahaha Feel free to hmu next time you're in town!

Also fwiw, the R I rode in was EQT Stage 2 on 93 and felt like it was no quicker (even though it definitely was) than my GTI which was just JB4'd at the time.
Will do, I think we're doing another work get together with the weather warming up. Voodoo has some great food, honestly it's such a change from what's available in Central PA that I love it. I just get iffy about parking downtown with the GTI, so the last few times I brought our Mazda. Also, the Pittsburgh Aviary is dope. We did the penguin experience thing and it was rad (even though they shit all the time lol) and toucans IRL are pretty dope (even though you'll get yelled at if you try to feed them fruit loops)

And a lot of this is pushing me to plan for MPI, Vortex, and flex fuel as the answer -- I want to keep enjoying that kick in the teeth at the low-mid that the IS20 gives, and be at least respectably quick. Buddy of mine has a mk8 GTI and is planning some mods soon, and I'm not ready to go back to being the slow one yet 😂

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Will do, I think we're doing another work get together with the weather warming up. Voodoo has some great food, honestly it's such a change from what's available in Central PA that I love it. I just get iffy about parking downtown with the GTI, so the last few times I brought our Mazda. Also, the Pittsburgh Aviary is dope. We did the penguin experience thing and it was rad (even though they shit all the time lol) and toucans IRL are pretty dope (even though you'll get yelled at if you try to feed them fruit loops)

And a lot of this is pushing me to plan for MPI, Vortex, and flex fuel as the answer -- I want to keep enjoying that kick in the teeth at the low-mid that the IS20 gives, and be at least respectably quick. Buddy of mine has a mk8 GTI and is planning some mods soon, and I'm not ready to go back to being the slow one yet 😂
I feel that, I get some anxiety street parking the GTI too but I have had pretty good luck *knock on wood* with not getting hit. Now that I think of it, since it doesn't commute often, mine probably spends most of it's time in Squirrel Hill/Oakland street parked for boba & dinner runs haha
Phipps Conservatory is great if you have any interest in cool plants btw, surprising amount to do in PGH

MPI+Vortex+flex will be a rowdy combo for sure, gotta keep these MK8 new boys on their toes haha

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Such is life

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Parts came in, loosely assembled the bearing in the knuckle, decided it was cold and started on dinner. Put a glove over the jack handle so it wouldn't damage anything parking in the garage.

Wednesday is supposed to be semi-nice, so maybe I'll get back at it then. Also, isn't there something with the evap tank on the rear or something, some nonsense about a clip in addition to the bolt at the bottom? Any tips there?

1000006489.jpg

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Lots of progress, zero pics, I've been taking my time and trying to be meticulous about everything. A fair portion of everything up front is assembled, gonna see if I can get the wheel bearing +90° with everybody bolted together. Also verified there is threadlocker on these wheel bearing bolts so that helps put my mind at ease a little. Just need to torque the top strut mount nuts x3/side, bottom ball joint nuts x3/side, and the axle bolts on each side, which will invariably be done with a huge breaker bar and pipe.

Cold weather has made this annoying as well, because I can only get a little bit done at a time.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3

Nine CBD Gummies White Silver Metallic GTI​

I clean the spam in the morning when I'm half asleep. Ye be warned
😂 thanks for being a real one Jay, I'm gonna change the title again so I don't have to make CarStoryBuild3

e: I see you got it for me 😘 you da best

Nine81's Silver Wiener Build​