GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NGK RS7 Plugs and other RS7 plug options thread

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
If these are a double iridium plug made by Ngk, one heat range colder, and have the proper plug connection for our coils, does it really matter if they are "RS7" plugs? Having actual plugs that Audi specs for the RS7 is not going to turn your car into some kind of unicorn that farts rainbows. What it comes down to is that these seem to be a really good option over the Denso and side firing plugs. Whether or not they are actual RS7 plugs shouldn't make a difference one way or another

Those are my thoughts as well.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
No I get it and you want to make sure all the info has been vetted before people jump on board. The Beru RS7 plugs have been run on multiple cars and we know they run well and are within the gap range specified by most tuners. Side firing plugs do have benefits which is why I like them, but I like adjustability too :) really I just want to try these to test them.. it's why I went with the Brisks versus the Denso's lol

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
My Brisk plugs have been so good I worry when I try these, haha!

My brinks has been good to me as well buts it's almost time to change and the longer change intervals with the ngk are enticing.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Plugs have arrived. They won't go in for a while but are on hand for my next change. HS Tuning did a great job!

Attachments

• 20170206_173356.jpg
    20170206_173356.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,488
  • 20170206_173642.jpg
    20170206_173642.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 1,476
  • 20170206_173650.jpg
    20170206_173650.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 1,483
  • 20170206_173704.jpg
    20170206_173704.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 1,514
  • 20170206_173749.jpg
    20170206_173749.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,528
  • 20170206_173800.jpg
    20170206_173800.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,565
  • 20170206_173823.jpg
    20170206_173823.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,702
  • 20170206_173920.jpg
    20170206_173920.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,599
  • 20170206_173952.jpg
    20170206_173952.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,494

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Free Skittles too?! Man they know how to win a sale!

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Well that's cool now you can gap the plugs. I will probably try .025 on my next interval.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Appreciate all the data everyone in this thread is providing. Will really help the community with plug solutions!

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
They do not need be gapped. They should be gapped by producer 0.6 mm or 0.024 inch

I have checked mine and the list 0.6 mm entered tightly while the list 0.65 did not.

If they are .024 out the box then that's good

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Here is how they all came out of the box.

Attachments

• IMG_7662.jpg
    IMG_7662.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,470
  • IMG_7663.jpg
    IMG_7663.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,482
  • IMG_7664.jpg
    IMG_7664.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,498
  • IMG_7660.jpg
    IMG_7660.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,453

phobos512

Ready to race!
Ok so Jeff from HSTUNING wrote me back almost immediately but I missed his email because I sent it from a different account than usual. Here is his response to my questions about the NGK plugs. I think I'm going to give them a try.

=============

Hi Matt,

I'll do what I can to answer your questions. It seems just a teeny tiny bit loaded, but that doesn't change my answers so:

(1) I can't tell you why no one else suggests them, but I can tell you why we do:
The traditional ground electrode configuration makes it easier for most DIY'ers to properly adjust and measure the gap. I'm not saying the Beru's can't be measured or adjusted, it's just not as simple for most. All else equal, that makes the NGK favorable. As a side note, we really promote the use of gap tools that provide consistent and easily measurable gaps like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all96515/overview/
Although the IKH24 is a good plug, it's longevity is not great in direct injection applications. The Beru RS7 is a good alternative but when an NGK plug in the correct heat range and configuration became available, it made sense to at least give it a chance. NGK does not quality tier their products, every single part that leaves their docks is a good as another. We respect them as a manufacturer for that. Because both RS7 plugs are sold as Audi parts, it's incredibly unlikely that quality tiering is an issue but it's worth noting. We don't blindly recommend NGK over Beru just because of this though. What really helps us is that beyond the Audi part number, NGK's part number allows us to decode the plug to make sure it's exactly what we want or need it to be. Because of the NGK part number we know that the plug is: double Iridium, NGK 8 heat range, specific resistor, etc. On the previous generation TSI engines, we were able to figure out that Volkswagen/Audi had specified a unique resistor on the stock plugs to prevent interference. Upon finding that, we were able to find a double platinum plug, identical to the stock plug in every way (including unique resistor) except for being one heat range colder than stock. Now lots of MK6 GTI, GLI, and Golf R owners have a reliable and long lasting plug to use with their increased output and temps. That information isn't as readily available from Beru.
We have done A LOT of ignition component testing in Gen 1,2, and 3 TSI engines. We did a write up to help the MK5/MK6/B7/B8 owners with spark plug choice. If you are interested, you can read it at www.hstuning.com/blog. We didn't publish raw test results, but were able to make good recommendations based on what we'd found internally. During our testing, we found that the NGK plugs tend to be really flexible in terms of coping with thermal load. More so than Bosch or other brands we tested. So again, testing the new RS7 plug made sense. Our initial testing shows that this plug is going to be the same way. I log knock and watch it live on my AeroForce gauge, and haven't seen a hint so far with the NGK RS7's. To be fair, I didn't see a lot with the Beru RS7's, and most of what I saw was toward the end of my use with them.
The idle and cold idle is very stable with the NGK RS7, even with the gap reduced. I've logged raw knock voltage on the NGK's and the Beru plugs at room temperature and roughly 38 degrees F. Both plug sets were new, and the NGK had lower voltage on average. They were close, but the NGK's were slightly lower. I didn't expect much difference as the are interchangeable based on their application. I followed this test up with multiple wide open throttle misfire logs to make sure both plugs were at gaps that did not misfire at wide open throttle. This is very promising but not definitive. Things will shake out as the mileage racks up.
(2) I don't really know how to answer this question. We are very familiar with the factory parts catalogs and I was quoting an RS7 customer some parts one day and noticed that the NGK RS7 plugs had been added. It sounds like whatever system you are using is out of date. I've attached a screen shot of the factory parts catalog for you. You'll notice a note at the top explaining that the NGK and Beru parts are interchangeable so long as you use one brand or the other. My guess is that the Beru's will get phased out over time.

Thanks,

- Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the follow up and it sounds like it may become another option with other vendors in the future.

Anyone know the NGK number? I may have missed it, but only recall seeing the Audi part number.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Thanks for the follow up and it sounds like it may become another option with other vendors in the future.

Anyone know the NGK number? I may have missed it, but only recall seeing the Audi part number.

You mean the part number in the first post?

NGK part # 06K 905 601 M