GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Next mods? If any?

Thurnis

Ready to race!
I'm currently running:
APR Stage 2 software
AMS Downpipe
IE Intercooler
Eventuri Intake System
APR turbo inlet elbow
PS4S tires on Pretoria

What do you guys think I should go with next for more fun
I'm considering :

Rear Sway bar
Exhaust System
Haldex tune
Turbo upgrade... (I don't want to rebuild the motor for stage 3 though... Just looking for 2+)

flipflp

Drag Race Newbie
Ride
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm currently running:
APR Stage 2 software
AMS Downpipe
IE Intercooler
Eventuri Intake System
APR turbo inlet elbow
PS4S tires on Pretoria

What do you guys think I should go with next for more fun
I'm considering :

Rear Sway bar
Exhaust System
Haldex tune
Turbo upgrade... (I don't want to rebuild the motor for stage 3 though... Just looking for 2+)
Your car is faster without improved braking, or handling. I'd look into those categories to keep things rounded out. Something like a rear sway bar is a good start, but consider coilovers, springs, shocks, depending on your preferences there. A big brake kit or some variation or brake upgrade will give you some added whoa to your go. It's important to be able to remove speed too.

boostin1004

Ready to race!
i was in the same boat as you. after going for a weekend carving up some mountains, i put on some rear sway bars. its definitely improved on the understeer of the car. FYI i'm also lowered on mss coils

Aussie R

Ready to race!
I'm very similar to OP. I added Rear sway bar and end links for handling improvement. It's a nice upgrade for minimal cost with no negative affects.

I then added Res delete to the Bangs and pops tune which now I can hear nicely as still bit too reserved with just DP. If you have the $ then cat back would be even better.

Maybe a P3 gauge or similar to monitor boost, timings, inlet temps etc? I have the Scangauge 2 as fairly cheap and shows 4 things at once.

I don't feel need for more power but things the above have given me improved driving experience.

George Ab

Drag Race Newbie
I'm with the majority. Motor, xmission mounts w dogbone insert to handle your engine flopping around with the power you already have. Rear stabilizer was one of my first mods. Cheap and really tightens up car sway.

Coolrunning39

Ready to race!
On a stock turbo? Unless you're also talking about custom tuning for full E85 or something of that nature Stage 2 power levels don't need any additional fueling.
Oh totally!

I’m running on my is38 with full E85 UM tuned. 1300CC injectors, 450 walbro, and flex fuel sensor. Sucker rips now

flipflp

Drag Race Newbie
Ride
'16 Golf R DSG
Oh totally!

I’m running on my is38 with full E85 UM tuned. 1300CC injectors, 450 walbro, and flex fuel sensor. Sucker rips now
And that's definitely one option for spending $2000 (plus dumping his current tune investment) on the stock turbo to really maximize it but... Haha

I think you might give a bit more information with that advice next time.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Coolrunning39

Ready to race!
And that's definitely one option for spending $2000 (plus dumping his current tune investment) on the stock turbo to really maximize it but... Haha

I think you might give a bit more information with that advice next time.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
I figured most people know how port injection works and the amazing benefits of running pure E85 on our cars.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/809526-UM-E85-flex-fuel-tune

$3,800 all-in and around 370/380whp and over 400wtq now. I am at 5,000 elevation so that makes me lose a bit there.

flipflp

Drag Race Newbie
Ride
'16 Golf R DSG
I figured most people know how port injection works and the amazing benefits of running pure E85 on our cars.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/809526-UM-E85-flex-fuel-tune

$3,800 all-in and around 370/380whp and over 400wtq now. I am at 5,000 elevation so that makes me lose a bit there.
I think a lot of people have heard about it, but probably not in use with the stock IS38. Not criticizing your choices at all, but unless you're thinking of going big turbo even a LPFP upgrade isn't probably on your radar.

Also, between the availability of E85 in some areas (yes I know the flex fuel sensor will adjust if you can only get 91/93) and the dollar:HP payoff compared to a hybrid turbo, and tuner selection early on to support E85/hybrid and big turbos, it's a tough broad recommendation to give. Not saying it doesn't have merit, but it's really not for everyone.

Coolrunning39

Ready to race!
I think a lot of people have heard about it, but probably not in use with the stock IS38. Not criticizing your choices at all, but unless you're thinking of going big turbo even a LPFP upgrade isn't probably on your radar.

Also, between the availability of E85 in some areas (yes I know the flex fuel sensor will adjust if you can only get 91/93) and the dollar:HP payoff compared to a hybrid turbo, and tuner selection early on to support E85/hybrid and big turbos, it's a tough broad recommendation to give. Not saying it doesn't have merit, but it's really not for everyone.
Oh absolutely! I plan on going the EFR 7163 route in the future and I firmly believe that the E85 is a crucial part in maxing out that turbo before ripping apart the motor. I currently also have the Walbro 450 pump in play as to have full fuel delivery for my current setup and future.

Plus, giving the is38 an E85 boost is like adding a completely new turbo. An addition of 70wtq is nothing to push off, especially up in elevation.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Not sure if its included in "software" but are you running a TCU tune?
Assuming yours is US spec I'd lower it, ideally on performance coils, or ROW spec OEM suspension, or if on a budget just springs. Wins on both performance and looks.
And get a DV+ for better response, boost holding and noises.

flipflp

Drag Race Newbie
Ride
'16 Golf R DSG
Oh absolutely! I plan on going the EFR 7163 route in the future and I firmly believe that the E85 is a crucial part in maxing out that turbo before ripping apart the motor. I currently also have the Walbro 450 pump in play as to have full fuel delivery for my current setup and future.

Plus, giving the is38 an E85 boost is like adding a completely new turbo. An addition of 70wtq is nothing to push off, especially up in elevation.
There is also a really strong case for NOT maxing the stock IS38, at least one that hasn't been balanced. Custom tuning to push your car 30-40whp over standard stage2 numbers is running what max PSI?

I've seen E85 dynos and it does add a ton of midrange torque, and can support more top end but turbos have a hard limit based on efficiency and good sense on how fast you spin it. You can either push a ton of hot air or grenade it doing that, where a bigger turbo is going to be more efficient and less stressed at the same power levels.

Coolrunning39

Ready to race!
There is also a really strong case for NOT maxing the stock IS38, at least one that hasn't been balanced. Custom tuning to push your car 30-40whp over standard stage2 numbers is running what max PSI?

I've seen E85 dynos and it does add a ton of midrange torque, and can support more top end but turbos have a hard limit based on efficiency and good sense on how fast you spin it. You can either push a ton of hot air or grenade it doing that, where a bigger turbo is going to be more efficient and less stressed at the same power levels.
In the sense of looking for the "next step up" in power without adding a brand new turbo, there is definitely a case in going the E85 route. The advance in timing and roughly same PSI on the turbo is a great addition. The internal engine cooling and cleaning effects from running E85 are a plus as well.

I personally do not see any reason not to add this. I have also not see grenaded turbos from running E85 but thats just me. If it blows, well thats the best excuse to upgrade or go to a friendly dealer. The IS38's can take a solid beating. All my opinion here of course.