GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my tuned GTI suffered a catastrophic engine failure...

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
yup! I met the owner last week actually, very nice lady I think she works at the vw dealer on Sahara... said only 19 ended up getting made/ordered in that color.

Really? How did you happen to meet the owner? At the dealership?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I've lost an engine in a Miata on track. Bought a used long block and had a indy Mazda shop swap it in. Ended up spending $3500 total.

Another option. Pull engine, pull head yourself. If no head damage and cylinder bore isn't trashed, hone and replace piston.

It's crazy that we just throw away engine today, we used to rebuild engine all the time back in the day.

cb1111

I've lost an engine in a Miata on track. Bought a used long block and had a indy Mazda shop swap it in. Ended up spending $3500 total.

Another option. Pull engine, pull head yourself. If no head damage and cylinder bore isn't trashed, hone and replace piston.

It's crazy that we just throw away engine today, we used to rebuild engine all the time back in the day.
Yes, I remember getting new rings on a couple of cars and when I blew a water hose at 240kmh in my XJ-S V12 I had the engine rebuilt for about $2000 - in Germany - at the dealer

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Really? How did you happen to meet the owner? At the dealership?
Haha, actually...

I was picking up some lunch at tacotarian on fortapache and was in a rush so I parked and ran in, then as I walked out I saw it (had seen it before when the Sahara dealer had it in the show room) and I said out loud to myself “I shit the green one!” Then the lady at the table next to me who saw me drive up with the bunny was like “that’s mine” lol, then we got to talking about it. Random.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Haha, actually...

I was picking up some lunch at tacotarian on fortapache and was in a rush so I parked and ran in, then as I walked out I saw it (had seen it before when the Sahara dealer had it in the show room) and I said out loud to myself “I shit the green one!” Then the lady at the table next to me who saw me drive up with the bunny was like “that’s mine” lol, then we got to talking about it. Random.

Is she single? Or looking to adopt a new child? I want that car.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
another that is WTF on the 20K price. I admit to not knowing but dang that seems stupid high (as Diggs said it I wonder/hope it's the "go away" price)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There's only 2 real options for you.

Find a used engine and a good indy VW shop.

Find a used engine and buy your local VW club all the pizza, beer and hookers they can eat to come help you swap the long block.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
There's only 2 real options for you.

Find a used engine and a good indy VW shop.

Find a used engine and buy your local VW club all the pizza, beer and hookers they can eat to come help you swap the long block.

The pizza and beer sound good but I'm pretty sure they don't want to eat any hookers. 😷

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Sorry to hear it OP.

another that is WTF on the 20K price. I admit to not knowing but dang that seems stupid high (as Diggs said it I wonder/hope it's the "go away" price)
It's a lot of work and can't have one of high school kids who do the oil changes or wheel swaps do it. It'll also occupy a bay in their shop for a while that they could be using for making quick and easy $$$ during wheel swap season. And then the customer will likely not be happy even if everything goes perfectly (who's happy having to spend 10-15k on a 16k car?) so its not like you're earning any good will with the customer by doing it. If VWOA is footing the bill they might not have a choice. That's my guess anyhow.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
The tech at my VW dealer replaced the engine in 6 hours.. This guy was a machine...
Engine.png

Last edited: