GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My experience with PI and carbon build up

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
So my car may be a one off, but figured I'd share none the less. I installed PI at around 79k miles I believe. Since I removed the intake manifold for PI, I opted to walnut blast my intake valves. You can see what they looked like here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk7-walnut-shell-blasting-adapter-review.355553/

I recently had a built motor and built cylinder head installed. I kept my original motor so I decided to tear it down to see why I kept destroying spark plugs on cylinders number 2. That could be another thread all on its own, crazy detonation on all four pistons but no cracked ringlands or skirts I could see.

What surprised me was the amount of carbon build up on the intake valves. Head had maybe 10k miles on it since walnut blasting, and car was run on full e85 for majority of those 10k miles. And yes I ran a Spulen catch can. Added pics of old pistons just for kicks.

IMG_2229.jpg
IMG_2231.jpg
IMG_2230.jpg
IMG_2232.jpg
IMG_20200211_183146.jpg
IMG_20200211_181325.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2229.jpg
    IMG_2229.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
So my car may be a one off, but figured I'd share none the less. I installed PI at around 79k miles I believe. Since I removed the intake manifold for PI, I opted to walnut blast my intake valves. You can see what they looked like here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk7-walnut-shell-blasting-adapter-review.355553/

I recently had a built motor and built cylinder head installed. I kept my original motor so I decided to tear it down to see why I kept destroying spark plugs on cylinders number 2. That could be another thread all on its own, crazy detonation on all four pistons but no cracked ringlands or skirts I could see.

What surprised me was the amount of carbon build up on the intake valves. Head had maybe 10k miles on it since walnut blasting, and car was run on full e85 for majority of those 10k miles. And yes I ran a Spulen catch can. Added pics of old pistons just for kicks.

View attachment 166838View attachment 166839View attachment 166840View attachment 166841View attachment 166842View attachment 166845
I actually noticed the same thing on mine. Installed PI and rebuilt engine a few thousand miles later and I had minor carbon buildup as well. I wonder how bad itll be 40k miles from now..

CHHA

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Octavia RS
That poor piston was running much too hot.

Here is a pic of a Octavia RS (same engine as MK7 GTI but with ROW engine spec -> DI + PI ) valve after almost 60k miles. 40k miles with APR stage 1. Fuel was Aral Ultimate 102 - which is approx 97 in US.

I think especially the shaft of the valve looks much cleaner.

Attachments

• D9D07E74-2003-40F5-8791-0AD521788A2B.jpeg
    D9D07E74-2003-40F5-8791-0AD521788A2B.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 302
  • DDE2CAA1-FB56-4784-850D-221D2C11A050.jpeg
    DDE2CAA1-FB56-4784-850D-221D2C11A050.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 320

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Blowby will do that.

My hurt cylinder had oil and carbon on the intake side. Like all VVT engines, we have EGR done via valve overlap. If a cylinder isn't sealing well, the oil will end up in the intake tract.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
so is it safe to say that if you have substantial buildup, perhaps an overall health and wellness check would be a good idea?

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
so MPI doesn't make a substantial difference then, what about WMI?

Basically what i figured would happen, the injector sprays the dirty valve and it just cleans the top of it...

With the fuel and gunk then kinda run down the valve a bit but still pool up on the base of the valve....

So without MPI, the entire valve is dirty... WIth MPI, the gunk accumulates lower in the valve... Maybe less gunk accumulates, but not a worthwhile mount....

It makes sense as the fuel basically atomizes to vapor when its sprayed into the intake valve... its not going to clean much....

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
well that saves me some cash I suppose. I wonder if WMI has shown any tendency to prevent that same buildup.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
so is there anything that has been proven to reduce/reverse carbon buildup on the valves?