GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey all, back with another noob question. My GTD has the Nogano 18" but they're all chewed up. Every one. My detailer reckons it'll be close to £500 to refurb and sort them all out. I'm considering putting that money into a set of Enkei ts-10s instead.
Apart from the cost of the wheels and tyres, is there anything I need to know about buying wheels?
There's a lot to know about wheels. Proper size, offset etc. Whether or not hub rings will be needed. I would visit a wheel store and learn more before purchasing any wheels.

And you said your wheels are all chewed up so no offense but don't invest in wheels until you know that you won't chew them up like the others.

JohnnyGTD

Car(s)
2014 Golf GTD
There's a lot to know about wheels. Proper size, offset etc. Whether or not hub rings will be needed. I would visit a wheel store and learn more before purchasing any wheels.

And you said your wheels are all chewed up so no offense but don't invest in wheels until you know that you won't chew them up like the others.
Thanks man, but they were chewed up when I bought the car. Looking at sorting them out and currently torn between a refurb or buying new.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks man, but they were chewed up when I bought the car. Looking at sorting them out and currently torn between a refurb or buying new.
Did you get a price on refurbishing those wheels? How much do you want to spend on wheels?

JohnnyGTD

Car(s)
2014 Golf GTD
Did you get a price on refurbishing those wheels? How much do you want to spend on wheels?
Yeah, 2 places said about £100 a wheel. But since then I've been looking around and there are some mighty fine wheels out there.
Haven't really considered the price as yet, hence my question. Just trying to find out if there are any hidden costs to buying new wheels.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah, 2 places said about £100 a wheel. But since then I've been looking around and there are some mighty fine wheels out there.
Haven't really considered the price as yet, hence my question. Just trying to find out if there are any hidden costs to buying new wheels.
The hidden costs would be things like proper length lug bolts and hubcentric rings. To keep costs down get a wheel as close in size to the stock wheels so you can reuse your lug bolts and that are hubcentric for your car.

dlhoovler

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
The hidden costs would be things like proper length lug bolts and hubcentric rings. To keep costs down get a wheel as close in size to the stock wheels so you can reuse your lug bolts and that are hubcentric for your car.
I'd think the bigger issue (unless you're adding spacers) isn't so much lug bolt length as the seat. Most wheels should be very similar in thickness between the hub and the bolt mating surface. But on many aftermarket wheels, the bolt mating surface is a conical section; on stock VW wheels, it's a spherical-section ball seat.

Not sure what vendors are popular in the UK, but, for example, Tire Rack in the US often includes proper bolts or hubcentric rings if needed depending on the application. But getting wheels with the proper hub bore to start with is better.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I have a new noise, it's in the engine compartment but heard the loudest near the drivers side wheel well. Sounds kind of like a bad belt or something (I know the belt is on the other side).

I have had this car for 7 years, I know what the normal engine ticking noise is, and this is not that. This is a new noise that just started within the last month. I am at 90,000 miles, serpentine belt replaced about 20,000 miles ago. It is 6MT with an upgraded clutch, but it is the RSR hybrid which keeps the DMFW. Engaging the clutch does not change the sound.

Here's a short video, you can hear it best when I hold the camera near the front left wheel.

any guesses?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I don't know what the resale market is like in the UK, but that money would buy you a complete set of OEM wheels second hand over here.

If you're looking to run dedicated summer and winter tires, getting a new set of wheels and using the already chewed up nogaros as your winter wheels is a great way to go.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Thanks both. I'll go looking for a wheel shop and see what they say.
I often will like on sites like Craigs list/facebook. Signifigant savings can be had. It sounds like your wheels are just cosmetically bad. That will give you time to find a deal.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have an idea and I can't for the life of me figured out what pin is needed for mk7 GTI coil pack connector. I have heard it called a oem 3.5 but only Ali Express seems to sell that??

Any one got a link where to buy the crimp on female pin?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
best way to protect the roof paint when using a roof rack, where the rubber pads meet the roof?

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
best way to protect the roof paint when using a roof rack, where the rubber pads meet the roof?
I bought a small roll of 3m ppf stuff and hand cut 4 big rectangles for the feet and 4 small ones for the metal claw part that goes in the door jamb.