GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
best way to protect the roof paint when using a roof rack, where the rubber pads meet the roof?
I use like 3 layers of wax on the contact points before I put mine on

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
The Motive power filler is great but it's overkill for a DSG service. For top fill, all you need is the funnel suggested above and a 24mm socket for the filter. You'll need to measure what drained out. For OEM bottom fill, you'll need a kit like this.
real question.....what if the fluid level was low to start with?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
real question.....what if the fluid level was low to start with?
This is why I'm going to bottom fill. The top fill method is if you want to replace exactly what you took out. My suspicion is that the fluid level is not exactly correct to start with so I'm inclined to start over with a good measurement by doing the level setting procedure. Probably overkill, but that's how I roll.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I am having trouble understanding why top or bottom fill would matter if you are just referencing the amount you took out? My concern about it being low would still apply?

I see Diggs mentioned drain out excess, that part helps me.....is the issue people overfill and don't check/adjust levels?

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I am having trouble understanding why top or bottom fill would matter if you are just referencing the amount you took out? My concern about it being low would still apply?

I see Diggs mentioned drain out excess, that part helps me.....is the issue people overfill and don't check/adjust levels?

The top fill and measure method assumes that the transmission was at the proper level to begin with. Some amount (1-2 liters?) of old fluid stays in the transmission after draining, so you'll never know what the original fill level was. It's a guess. The bottom fill method uses an adapter to set the level after filling. The Diggs method fills from the top but still uses the adapter. This saves a few minutes as the adapter restricts flow.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Filling from the bottom only makes sense if you don't plan to replace the filter and to make it easier/quicker for the dealership to service as nothing needs removed from the car because more than likely a DSG service does not include filter replacement. But why wouldn't you replace the filter? So, you are opening up the top anyways. In that case use a funnel, overfill it and drain off the excess. No special filling tools needed.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Drain it all. Fill from the top. Can either just put in 4.7L and call it a day if you're lazy, or put in more than that and do the level check procedure.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
382A3018-930C-4F4C-AB35-E8801DF43ED1.jpeg
Just did plugs and 1 and 4 were pretty oily. Is this cause for alarm/concern?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Well, sooner or later you'll need a cam cradle reseal.
Stealership trip or DIY? I’ve never done one and my backup VR6 isn’t road ready yet

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
For those with the VWR R600 intake w/ SAI, do you still have to create a cutout for the SAI or do they come with cutouts now?

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Does my '21 MK-7.5 GTI SE 6M have a Dual Mass Flywheel or a Single Mass Flywheel from the factory?
Does my wife's '17 Golf MK-7 (?) 1.8L 5M have a Dual Mass Flywheel or a Single Mass Flywheel from the factory?

Thank you.