GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I'm thinking about installing JB1. I thought this would be easy for me, but now I'm not so sure. I searched the threads and couldn't find much info on the installation. I saw a video, and it was done on a lift. Is this correct I need a lift, or ramps, because of accessibility issues?

If your hand is the size of a 10 year old’s, and your arm the length of Yao Ming’s, then you don’t need to put it on ramps.

Otherwise you need a T25 torx bit to remove the dust shield under the engine bay so you can access plug D once you’ve got it in the air.

It IS easy though. Just take your time with the clips, jimmy them as much as possible without using excessive brute force. The plastic is pretty brittle

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I'm thinking about installing JB1. I thought this would be easy for me, but now I'm not so sure. I searched the threads and couldn't find much info on the installation. I saw a video, and it was done on a lift. Is this correct I need a lift, or ramps, because of accessibility issues?

Its very easy to do. There are instructions on Burgermotorsports website, as well as many threads on here and vortex detailing it. Don't try the easy way out, jack it up and use jack stands and go in from the bottom or you'll most likely break plug D

After you install it and start it up your car will run funny for a second and all the warning lights will chime. Drive around for a mile or two and they will all clear themselves

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Oh you mean the book that didn't come with my Pre-owned car that VW won't give me a pdf of like every other car company does, online for free?

No, instead we get a clunky slow interface online only accessible if you type in your VIN. Why?

Thankfully the dealer ordered me one and I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Will you actually read it though?

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
To each their own dude.

For me, doing the retrofit was "less stupid" than manually adjusting cruise control by 1 mph at a time in traffic.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thats pretty stupid. Does it really take that long to click 5 times? 5 mph is way too high an increment anyway.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

Do it, it's a very simple install. Like others have said if you have super skinny, long arms you will not need ramps or jack stands. Even then it's a very simple install with the car on ramps.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Thats pretty stupid. Does it really take that long to click 5 times? 5 mph is way too high an increment anyway.

I'm glad someone agrees with me. I'd love to know how much money he threw at retrofitting ACC.

The only explanation for it, to me, is that he's got porsche money and the GTI is his "Beater" and the cost of a $3K upgrade for 1 added function is a "deal" in his eyes.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I'm glad someone agrees with me. I'd love to know how much money he threw at retrofitting ACC.

The only explanation for it, to me, is that he's got porsche money and the GTI is his "Beater" and the cost of a $3K upgrade for 1 added function is a "deal" in his eyes.
hey bud feel free to just ask me rather than make assumptions. I commute 50+ miles round trip every day on a single lane highway, ACC is very useful for me. No regerts! :D

Radar trim plate: $8.43 VW dealership
MRR radar: $185.78 ebay
crash bar: $128.44 e-acca
rear ABS sensors: $32.68 ebay
ACC harness: $19.74 ebay
lower grill: $30.26 ebay
MFSW buttons: $79.00 aliexpress
CP removal / remote coding: $250
TOTAL: $734.33

cheap? No. cheaper than trading in my car which is completely paid off and has $1000's of dollars invested in mods? Yes.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
hey bud feel free to just ask me rather than make assumptions. I commute 50+ miles round trip every day on a single lane highway, ACC is very useful for me. No regerts! :D

Radar trim plate: $8.43 VW dealership
MRR radar: $185.78 ebay
crash bar: $128.44 e-acca
rear ABS sensors: $32.68 ebay
ACC harness: $19.74 ebay
lower grill: $30.26 ebay
MFSW buttons: $79.00 aliexpress
CP removal / remote coding: $250
TOTAL: $734.33

cheap? No. cheaper than trading in my car which is completely paid off and has $1000's of dollars invested in mods? Yes.

well you've definitely proved me wrong, and you did so with grace. sorry for being a dick. I'm honestly amazed. I would've thought it would've been extremely expensive. $~750 is not prohibitively expensive lol i just spent that much on tires.

I'm also surprised it's even compatible with 2015's at all - it wasn't offered from the factory even on an AB with DAP was it?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
well you've definitely proved me wrong, and you did so with grace. sorry for being a dick. I'm honestly amazed. I would've thought it would've been extremely expensive. $~750 is not prohibitively expensive lol i just spent that much on tires.

I'm also surprised it's even compatible with 2015's at all - it wasn't offered from the factory even on an AB with DAP was it?
Haha all good man, thanks for being mature about it.

I was also surprised (and excited) that it was a relatively affordable mod. I do not know if it was a factory option for 2015's or not, the only real requirement other than the parts I added is a high line gateway - which actually can also be retrofitted.

There is a thread in the DIY section and a detailed blog from another user about it. I'll edit this post when I find the links...

hygge

Yeah my 2015 S model has the LEDs behind both door handles. That's a warranty item.

To follow up on my previous post, I took my car to the dealer... dead LED behind the door handle. Crazy thing is they can't replace just the LED, they have to replace the entire door panel :confused: Thankfully it's covered under warranty. New door panel has been ordered.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Pulled into a gas station tonight and with the light hitting my roof I just realized the tailgate on my Rabbit is straight black, while the roof is black pearl. I never realized the top of the tailgate was plastic on the GTI, since on every other color they paint it to match. On the black GTI it’s just glossy black plastic like the little spoiler lip and side wings.

j_rad91!

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I think I know the correct answer but would feel much better about receiving the answer. With OZ wheels hub rings are required since they’re lug centric and not hub centric? Also I’ll need different lug bolts? Thank you!

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Haha all good man, thanks for being mature about it.

I was also surprised (and excited) that it was a relatively affordable mod. I do not know if it was a factory option for 2015's or not, the only real requirement other than the parts I added is a high line gateway - which actually can also be retrofitted.

There is a thread in the DIY section and a detailed blog from another user about it. I'll edit this post when I find the links...

it's wild to me that ACC costs less to retrofit than OEM Lighting Package lol