GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Only 034's is aluminum? Thought I'd seen more than just 034's failing.....

Yes, why not go with a poly insert? Seems logical to me. I did and and it's doing great.

Oh right I think CTS had an alum one too.

bleeped

CTS catted dp here. Upon normal driving everything is fine but when pushed a little or WOT, the rotten egg smell is strong. I can also smell it coming through the AC. Is that a normal thing or do I likely have a leak somewhere.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
CTS catted dp here. Upon normal driving everything is fine but when pushed a little or WOT, the rotten egg smell is strong. I can also smell it coming through the AC. Is that a normal thing or do I likely have a leak somewhere.

That doesn't sound normal and probably indicates a leak somewhere. You should never smell it while you're moving, that's why the exhaust is at the back of the car. If you smell it in the cabin while driving, it's likely leaking under the hood. Check the DP to turbo connection first.

Oh and stop driving it until you do if possible. It's definitely not safe to breath in.

JasGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone know why VW has the damn DSG lever backwards when in M mode?

Pulling back should upshift. I have tried searching for this topic all over and even called my dealer and some aftermarket shops but for reasons that I do not understand it seems like nobody really notices this but me. I can't find out if it is possible to swap it using some kind of ECU coding, and I'd rather not rip open my center console and try to reverse the wiring of the microswitches/hall sensors/whatever keep track of shift motions.

Sure most of my gear changes are done with the paddles but sometimes while applying a lot of steering lock the gear shift is a superior option. Plus sometimes I enjoy driving with my left arm resting on my knee or out the window, my right arm on the center console and hand on the gear knob.

Also, it is way more satisfying to smack your knob forwards and backwards in harmony with your (dV/dT) if you know what I mean.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Pulling back should upshift. I have tried searching for this topic all over and even called my dealer and some aftermarket shops but for reasons that I do not understand it seems like nobody really notices this but me. I can't find out if it is possible to swap it using some kind of ECU coding, and I'd rather not rip open my center console and try to reverse the wiring of the microswitches/hall sensors/whatever keep track of shift motions.

Sure most of my gear changes are done with the paddles but sometimes while applying a lot of steering lock the gear shift is a superior option. Plus sometimes I enjoy driving with my left arm resting on my knee or out the window, my right arm on the center console and hand on the gear knob.

Also, it is way more satisfying to smack your knob forwards and backwards in harmony with your (dV/dT) if you know what I mean.

Do you play FPS games with inverted y-axis?

Pulling down should definitely downshift, and pushing up should definitely upshift. Props on the calc joke, though

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG

Probably to make it more intuitive to someone who hasn't been exposed to sequential gearboxes, thus allowing more people to comfortably drive in manual mode (if ever).

Just imagine if VW used the more traditional layout where downshifting is done by pushing up/forward, and some driver intended to shift up. You'd get complaints about how VW is stupid for using a layout that contradicts an average person's mentality of forward/up = shift up.

Also to note...Hyundai and Toyota (personal experience with an Elantra and Camry) have started using the same layout, and I'd have to bet it's for the same reason.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
What nightmare bizzaro-world did you learn to drive sequential transmissions in? :eek:
It's not a sequential transmission. It's a manually shifted Auto. Every auto with manual shifting that I've ever driven is like this. fusion, Camry, and my friends Honda (don't remember the model) all have it this way

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG

XoneDB4

Ready to race!
It's not a sequential transmission. It's a manually shifted Auto. Every auto with manual shifting that I've ever driven is like this. fusion, Camry, and my friends Honda (don't remember the model) all have it this way

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Technically more of an automatically shifted manual, no? The gearbox itself is mechanically much more similar to a manual than a traditional auto.