GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

blergrd

Ready to race!
Is it honestly necessary to upgrade the intake before going to stage 2 unitronic from stock if I have the downpipe? I'll pick up an intercooler before the tuning as well. I can't find any good threads where it says it's necessary to upgrade the intake before tuning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Is it honestly necessary to upgrade the intake before going to stage 2 unitronic from stock if I have the downpipe? I'll pick up an intercooler before the tuning as well. I can't find any good threads where it says it's necessary to upgrade the intake before tuning.

No. IIRC the world record MK7 is (or was) running a stock intake

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Thanks. do you know why they suggest the upgrade before running then?

Because they can squeeze more money out of you

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
My Golf makes a strange noise just after start up on warm/humid days. It does not seem to do this on dry days even if the temperature is about the same. It sort of sounds like a belt slipping but after discovering humidity levels effect it I am even more clueless. I did bring up this noise last time it was at the dealer and they were unable to reproduce it probably because it wasn't the right weather conditions. Any ideas?

H4NZEY

Paint problems?

Hi there,
I have a Red 2015 Golf GTD with a rare rust like mark starting to apper under the pain and lacquer on the roof has anyone else evef noticed this before??

LurpyGeek

Passed Driver's Ed
I've searched and read, but I need more specific help...

I installed a CTS downpipe as a supportive mod and preparation for the future. Not ready to tune yet because I figure I'll need to do a clutch at the same time.

I installed the CTS O2 sensor spacer at the same time. The CTS downpipe puts the O2 sensor at the bottom of the curve where the stock first cat is. Drove a few hundred miles before I got a Check-Engine Light. I knew this was a likelyhood.

I read and cleared the CEL and since then, it has given me a light about every 40 miles.

The codes I have seen:

one P2270 - O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 2
many P013E - O2 Sensor Delayed Response Rich to Lean Bank 1 Sensor 2
one P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

I've tried putting the CTS spacer at different angles. I've even tried running without a spacer. None of that helped.

I've heard various reports of people having luck with these spacers:

- 42 Draft Designs O2 Sensor Spacer
- Amazon 90 degree angled O2 CEL Fix (available from multiple makers)

I've also heard that there are some spacers out there that have a tiny catalyst in the path to the sensor.

I would like to get something that works without spending the money to buy a drawer full of these options to find a fix.

Can anyone tell me what would be the best option and how I should position it in on the pipe? Is there any way to disable these CELs without a full blown tune?

JD-1

Ready to race!
What oil temp is considered "warm enough" to drive in boost?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
What oil temp is considered "warm enough" to drive in boost?

This will open up Pandoras box. I wait til 180°F. Some don't wait at all (modern oil provides enough lubrication at all temps blah blah blah). Personal preference really.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
This will open up Pandoras box. I wait til 180°F. Some don't wait at all (modern oil provides enough lubrication at all temps blah blah blah). Personal preference really.

The cars always pushing boost unless your at a redlight... ect. I would say dont go WOT before 180 oil temp. Soooo I second what was said about... blah blah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The cars always pushing boost unless your at a redlight... ect. I would say dont go WOT before 180 oil temp. Soooo I second what was said about... blah blah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get what you're saying. Generally when people talk about when they "boost", they are talking about high boost/power scenarios. The turbo is going to spin all the time. Just not under heavy load like it does under WOT