GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I get what you're saying. Generally when people talk about when they "boost", they are talking about high boost/power scenarios. The turbo is going to spin all the time. Just not under heavy load like it does under WOT

Yeah, essentially driving to work in the am I never get a chance to rip it. Oil gets to around 180 near the end of my trip [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
When car people talk about boost, they mean the engine manifold is no longer running in a vacuum. So the car is not always running in boost. Not even superchargers do that...

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
When car people talk about boost, they mean the engine manifold is no longer running in a vacuum. So the car is not always running in boost. Not even superchargers do that...

Our cars (at least mine) have positive pressure in the manifold pretty low in the rev range. 1750ish rpm, so basically anything above idle you are technically "boosting". I feel as if "boost" is a blanket term for givin' her the goose

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yeah, essentially driving to work in the am I never get a chance to rip it. Oil gets to around 180 near the end of my trip [emoji26]

So your commute is probably under 10min?... I am playing the smallest violin right now for your sorrow.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Negative ghost rider, 20-50 depending on traffic.

You're at 180f after 40+ minutes in this weather? That does not sound right.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Our cars (at least mine) have positive pressure in the manifold pretty low in the rev range. 1750ish rpm, so basically anything above idle you are technically "boosting". I feel as if "boost" is a blanket term for givin' her the goose

How do you know it has positive pressure? If you are looking at your gauge in the car, remember you aren't in boost until you go above 1 Bar or 15 PSI. Driving flat on the highway at 60MPH there isn't positive pressure. In fact, if you don't give the car a lot of gas, the manifold will stay in vacuum during acceleration. This is how turbo gas engines have worked since they were invented. Boost means charged pressure above atmospheric value. I have tested and validated this on multiple MK7's. Now your driving style may see you entering boost more often than other people.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
How do you know it has positive pressure? If you are looking at your gauge in the car, remember you aren't in boost until you go above 1 Bar or 15 PSI. Driving flat on the highway at 60MPH there isn't positive pressure. In fact, if you don't give the car a lot of gas, the manifold will stay in vacuum during acceleration. This is how turbo gas engines have worked since they were invented. Boost means charged pressure above atmospheric value. I have tested and validated this on multiple MK7's. Now your driving style may see you entering boost more often than other people.
You're correct, it depends on throttle position more so than RPM. Anything above 14.7 on the stock gage is positive pressure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
You're correct, it depends on throttle position more so than RPM. Anything above 14.7 on the stock gage is positive pressure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's why it is alot easier to change to measurement to BAR. Anything over 1 BAR and you are in boost, very easy to read that way. 2.33 BAR or so is max boost.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Why is my car telling me I need an inspection in 400 miles when I am at 37000 miles? How do I make this message go away? I figure it has to do with the 40k service but seems early

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Why do people still buy dogbone inserts? Don't they all pretty much fail over time? They bend and then done for. Did one of the vendors solve this?

Only the 034 aluminum ones are really a problem. As far as I know the poly ones hold up well and the APR steel insert probably does as well.