GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Bfi stage 1 tranny mount. The top metal wings connect to the battery tray? 09G auto.

1648937850226.png

https://blackforestindustries.com/p...-1-4-tsi-6-speed-transmission-mount-1-stage-1

Having a smoke break and freaked out for a second thinking I've got the wrong mounts.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Maybe I might win stupid question of the year with this one!

Given that there is an extreme shortage of chips, is there swapping of chips going on? What I mean is that, say I take my car in to an independent for whatever reason, and the car is running fine. But, the dishonest tech wants your good chip(s) and will swap out the chip(s) for some that are not quite so good. Now, when you drive off the lot the car is just not working as well. Maybe a bit of a miss, or whatever. Maybe not noticeable right away. Of course, this could happen to any part, but given that there is such a shortage of chips, this bit of thievery could be enormously expensive.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Maybe I might win stupid question of the year with this one!

Given that there is an extreme shortage of chips, is there swapping of chips going on? What I mean is that, say I take my car in to an independent for whatever reason, and the car is running fine. But, the dishonest tech wants your good chip(s) and will swap out the chip(s) for some that are not quite so good. Now, when you drive off the lot the car is just not working as well. Maybe a bit of a miss, or whatever. Maybe not noticeable right away. Of course, this could happen to any part, but given that there is such a shortage of chips, this bit of thievery could be enormously expensive.
Depends on what chips you're referencing. Most systems fall under the CP, or component protection umbrella, meaning they are hard registered to the car and checked on startup. If a new part is swapped in it will trigger CP and the car will not function until you can have a dealer recode it or a shop with ODIS access. The car has to be reprogrammed for the new part with the servers back in Germany.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
For a stud conversion - is threadlocker necessary? I've read a bunch of comments each way, blue threadlocker, and no threadlocker. Some are saying blue threadlocker could heat to the point it is no longer useful, but most sellers recommend it. I've seen red threadlocker too - but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. Thanks!

scrllock

Autocross Champion
For a stud conversion - is threadlocker necessary? I've read a bunch of comments each way, blue threadlocker, and no threadlocker. Some are saying blue threadlocker could heat to the point it is no longer useful, but most sellers recommend it. I've seen red threadlocker too - but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. Thanks!
I'd use one of the high-strength ones. Both my motorsporthardware and apex conversions strongly recommended it. It's not that hard to get off. I sprayed down my hub with PB Blaster and my red-loctite'd studs were able to be removed with a simple 3/8" ratchet. I'd rather risk some difficulty removing a stud than risking the connection between my wheel and the car.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I used blue threadlocker. There's certainly no harm in using it and even if it added the smallest margin of extra safety, it was worth it.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Gonna go with red. Appreciate you guys' responses

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
No problem. If you ever strip one out, use acetone followed by heat. A propane torch is fine. Use either a stud remover (proper tool) or a pair of Grade 8 nuts jammed together (works) to remove it.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Depends on what chips you're referencing. Most systems fall under the CP, or component protection umbrella, meaning they are hard registered to the car and checked on startup. If a new part is swapped in it will trigger CP and the car will not function until you can have a dealer recode it or a shop with ODIS access. The car has to be reprogrammed for the new part with the servers back in Germany.
Wow, that is impressive. Thanks for your thoughts.