GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Leo ATX

Car(s)
'21 Mk7.5 GTI
Are the front bumpers for park assist and non park assist equipped car the same for Mk7.5?

Black&WhiteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 GTI '92 Miata
Not really. The one with park assist will have holes for the parking sensors (park pilot).
I know that the mk7 there has different amounts of parking sensors too. If you just have parking sensors and not the self parking (park assist) then you will only have 4 holes. If you have the self parking, you will have 5 holes each bumper.

jmg

Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI, G82 M4
I bought a used 2019 GTI SE. It's got 11k miles on it, two owners. It has a BOV on it. I was under the impression that the 2.0 TSI is a closed system and a BOV would cause a rich condition. Any long term issues I should be worried about?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I bought a used 2019 GTI SE. It's got 11k miles on it, two owners. It has a BOV on it. I was under the impression that the 2.0 TSI is a closed system and a BOV would cause a rich condition. Any long term issues I should be worried about?
This is a myth. As long as the BOV isn’t crappy, it shouldn’t have any effect other than more noise.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
What is the difference between adding a BOV and just unplugging the diverter valve sensor plug?
Um a big giant huge enormous difference. Like, a functioning system vs. not. If you disable the DV, you don't release any pressure between shifts or coming off the throttle, etc. and will probably damage your turbo.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
They also have 50/50 BOVs I believe. You get the sound with some recirculation to the intake.
There's no point to that. Both BOVs and DVs essentially release to the atmosphere. The DV is putting the air back into your intake tract before the throttle and turbo -- it's essentially open atmosphere.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
There's no point to that. Both BOVs and DVs essentially release to the atmosphere. The DV is putting the air back into your intake tract before the throttle and turbo -- it's essentially open atmosphere.
Never said it served a purpose. Just throwing info out there. They do exist for mk7s.

My understanding is most stick with the stock DV as it's pretty hearty.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Never said it served a purpose. Just throwing info out there. They do exist for mk7s.

My understanding is most stick with the stock DV as it's pretty hearty.
Yes, I think the idea with a BOV is the neat sounds. I can't argue with that. As long as you get a high quality unit, you shouldn't experience any issues. Alternatively, some people add diverter valve spaces that provide a similar function as BOV while retaining the stock DV. By and large, people recommend the stock DV for reliability.

Black&WhiteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 GTI '92 Miata
If you disable the DV, you don't release any pressure between shifts or coming off the throttle, etc. and will probably damage your turbo.

Ah I see, when the DV sensor is unplugged the whole system stays closed. I was confused because I just figured that the DV and wastegate worked together (differently). The DV mainly prevents compressor surge and the wastegate limits the maximum psi the turbo can achieve.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Ah I see, when the DV sensor is unplugged the whole system stays closed. I was confused because I just figured that the DV and wastegate worked together (differently). The DV mainly prevents compressor surge and the wastegate limits the maximum psi the turbo can achieve.
I think that's mostly true. The DV still plays a role in limiting boost sometimes beyond just preventing surge. But in general, that's a good description.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
But if you unplug it you get it to stustustustu!!

Agray

Go Kart Champion
On open intakes, does the brand of filter on the end of the pipe make any difference? I've been using an aftermarket filter from AEM, but I put the filter from IE back on it the other day and it sounds louder, which i prefer.