GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
But that's what I'm saying. How? How could someone tie your license plate to your actual name and identity? As far as I could tell, that information is reserved for things like law enforcement.
I dunno. 30 seconds of googling turned up multiple sites that will allow you to get registration info from a license number. Maybe that info availability varies by state, but it appears you can online stalk people if you were so inclined.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The only use case I see is online privacy. Right now I'm just "Oddspyke", if I posted my license plate, that could quickly give away my actual identity. It makes way less sense on something like Facebook where my name and a photo of me are attached to my posts.
But what if we wanna find out who oddspyke-kun actually is in real life? What if we wanna stalk?

you’re being inconsiderate to those that want to stalk you and maybe murder u, bro. JS

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
But that's what I'm saying. How? How could someone tie your license plate to your actual name and identity? As far as I could tell, that information is reserved for things like law enforcement.
Donut media did a video. Nolan took a coworkers plate # and ran it through the various companies that promise tons of info

he eventually even got dudes social security

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

So when you try to find owner information, it leads you to one of those shitty "pay for report" sites, InfoTracer.com. Here's what it could tell me about my license plate.

1621349307228.png

Wow. Much information. Clicking view report and you have to pay.

But you know what? I'm curious. Let's spend the $5 with a virtual card and see what I get.

1621349380239.png

1621349444116.png

Wow. Again. Much information. My license plate has no results. The one I've had for over a decade. Buying 5 soft tacos from Taco Bell would have been a better spend of my money.

So again, I don't think identifiable information is as easy to get from a license plate as people thing it is. I'd love to be proven wrong however.

Hell, if someone can find my name and address from my license plate, with full steps on how you got to it (as a decent amount of people here on the forums already have it from buying\selling in the classifieds), I'll give you $100. And unlike others on the forum, I pay up.

I'm retracting my offer for the time being while my $34 report is created. If that doesn't turn anything up, I'll reinstate it.

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
So when you try to find owner information, it leads you to one of those shitty "pay for report" sites, InfoTracer.com. Here's what it could tell me about my license plate.

View attachment 213945

But you know what? I'm curious. Let's spend the $5 with a virtual card and see what I get.

View attachment 213946

View attachment 213947

Wow. Again. Much information. My license plate has no results. The one I've had for over a decade. Buying 5 soft tacos from Taco Bell would have been a better spend of my money.

So again, I don't think identifiable information is as easy to get from a license plate as people thing it is. I'd love to be proven wrong however.

Hell, if someone can find my name and address from my license plate, with full steps on how you got to it (as a decent amount of people here on the forums already have it from buying\selling in the classifieds), I'll give you $100. And unlike others on the forum, I pay up.

Some of those sites are bullshit. Others seem scary

I personally invite my would be destroyer, I wish that mother fucker would

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Yeah. I missed being called a monkey by some racist mother fucker that gets away with success he doesn’t deserve only cuz the mods wouldn’t draw the line at racism 😂

why you trying to change the subject? Jim can be anywhere in ten minutes
A drink on the patio with you two would be good entertainment. If you ever make it to Delaware, I'll disclose my secret identity.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

View attachment 213945

View attachment 213946

View attachment 213947

I think you're correct. The link I posted said there were several restrictions.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Some of those sites are bullshit. Others seem scary

I personally invite my would be destroyer, I wish that mother fucker would

Watched the video. And I'm really curious about this.

1621350844932.png

Another $34. Let's see what I get.