GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's always a German thing, MQB is Modularer Querbaukasten. :LOL:
And what does that mean?

You know how the forum has what they call "stickie's" threads? They should have made a stickie thread for all the abbreviated things like this.

I never had a VW until my GTI and when I first joined the forum it was like everybody was talking in code? Been in here almost 3 years and I'm still learning.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
And what does that mean?

You know how the forum has what they call "stickie's" threads? They should have made a stickie thread for all the abbreviated things like this.

I never had a VW until my GTI and when I first joined the forum it was like everybody was talking in code? Been in here almost 3 years and I'm still learning.
Modular Traversal Toolkit

and VAQ is Vorderachsquersperre or "front axle cross lock"

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Why do people blur or block out their license plates when posting photos online? I've done it in the past myself, but really don't bother anymore. Stepping back and looking at it, what information can you really get from knowing someone's license plate number? And I mean it's not really classified information, anybody who sees you driving around can see your plate number.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Why do people blur or block out their license plates when posting photos online? I've done it in the past myself, but really don't bother anymore. Stepping back and looking at it, what information can you really get from knowing someone's license plate number? And I mean it's not really classified information, anybody who sees you driving around can see your plate number.
The only use case I see is online privacy. Right now I'm just "Oddspyke", if I posted my license plate, that could quickly give away my actual identity. It makes way less sense on something like Facebook where my name and a photo of me are attached to my posts.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The only use case I see is online privacy. Right now I'm just "Oddspyke", if I posted my license plate, that could quickly give away my actual identity. It makes way less sense on something like Facebook where my name and a photo of me are attached to my posts.

But that's what I'm saying. How? How could someone tie your license plate to your actual name and identity? As far as I could tell, that information is reserved for things like law enforcement.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
But that's what I'm saying. How? How could someone tie your license plate to your actual name and identity? As far as I could tell, that information is reserved for things like law enforcement.
At least in my case, I blur it because if it's posted here, and then a similar photo is posted to another site where I want to have a relative level of anonymity, I'd like to not have that connection be made so easily. Granted with enough time I'm sure someone could figure out a large amount of who we all are/where we're located and whatnot, but I still prefer not to advertise it. Similar reason to why I don't use the same username across multiple platforms.

Paranoid, yes, but if it's trivial to blur a plate, I'll do it. I've encountered folks who like to try to leverage information against others, and so it serves as a layer of protection.

Reactions: q74

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Your official identity is on posters at the Post Office. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: q74

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You're right. I have read about a few cases where a crime was committed by finding out the name of the person who the license plate is registered to and those instances always involved a cop who got the info for a friend or someone who slipped him some money.