GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Hah my dad said the same thing, so y'all are right... and thanks! I managed to break one of the clips in my passenger mirror cap but other than that things went really smoothly. OBD11 coded everything beautifully and the fishing line trick with the cable routing made things a breeze. Definitely recommended especially if you're a city street parker like me.

yeah I’m a city Parker too, on the narrow one way Philly backstreets where you park half up the curb half off. I need to do this bad.

ScorpionT16

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 MK7.5 Autobahn
First - you need to find a new dealer - they are idiots.

They are correct that it isn't covered under the VW warranty but it IS covered under the separate tire warranty and the dealer would do the warranty claim for you.

Once you've narrowed down the problematic tire, go to your local favorite tire dealer that sells Bridgestone tires and have them file a warranty claim on that tire.

After you've gotten that resolved, call VW of Canada and complain about the original dealer.

Just an update, the dealer who installed the tires looked at them again. They did use, and have a Road Force machine to balance, so were really surprised. They checked, and both the rear wheels were out of balance, asked if I hit a pothole or somethings... I said No, it started the min I got on the hwy and drove away from them. Either way, they fixed the issue, no charge, and now it's butter smooth again!

Juan U

Car(s)
2021 mk7.5 GTI
Is there a code for the anti-theft wheel bolts in case I lose the key/tool to remove them?

Last edited:

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Neuspeed has a variety of 17" wheels that will clear. I would be more surprised if any of their 17's didn't clear the brakes.

Tire rack is pretty reliable for checking if a wheel from another brand will fit too, but only if it's a style they actually carry.

Edit: looks like Neuspeed is down to a single 17" style now. Still looks great and at 16lbs, a great upgrade.
https://neuspeedrswheels.com/collections/vw-audi/products/neuspeed-rse05-8805?variant=31935761449073
Stupid question: anyone use these with plus size All Terrains for rough road use on an Alltrack?

How are these rally style wheels for shedding gravel and brush?

Thinking 27" for max ride height no rubs no lift but understand "its a crapshoot" at 8" size.

Any truth to the observation alloy wheels break more easily in rough use?
Not talking Baja1000 here, just some USFS and BLM land, gravel roads in Yukon and AK. Looking for dependable vs heavy steelies at 16".

cb1111

Just an update, the dealer who installed the tires looked at them again. They did use, and have a Road Force machine to balance, so were really surprised. They checked, and both the rear wheels were out of balance, asked if I hit a pothole or somethings... I said No, it started the min I got on the hwy and drove away from them. Either way, they fixed the issue, no charge, and now it's butter smooth again!
Very good. road Force balancing is da bomb

cb1111

Stupid question: anyone use these with plus size All Terrains for rough road use on an Alltrack?

How are these rally style wheels for shedding gravel and brush?

Thinking 27" for max ride height no rubs no lift but understand "its a crapshoot" at 8" size.

Any truth to the observation alloy wheels break more easily in rough use?
Not talking Baja1000 here, just some USFS and BLM land, gravel roads in Yukon and AK. Looking for dependable vs heavy steelies at 16".
Depends. Whack a big pothole at speed and any wheel is toast. Gravel roads, Forest Service and Land Management are fine as you're not going that fast and any impacts aren't that significant. The steelie will bend while the alloy may crack. Either way you're stranded on the road.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Depends. Whack a big pothole at speed and any wheel is toast. Gravel roads, Forest Service and Land Management are fine as you're not going that fast and any impacts aren't that significant. The steelie will bend while the alloy may crack. Either way you're stranded on the road.
Thanks. These Nuespeeds have good reviews and lighter with equal durability would be worth the money. These also are Big Brake Kit certified which means more clearance behind- see DAPs RallyTrack video with TT brakes tight fit getting a rock in between caliper and a similar wheel wheel, while dirt rallying it.

Hmmm-
So, anyone else run these light 5spokes on ruff roads at all?
Does the open design tend to kick out gravel and junk, or collect it?
I'm stuck between this design vs something more jeep-ish:
https://lpaventure.com/products/lp-aventure-wheels-lp7-17x8-et35-5x112-light-grey

Last edited:

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
How much do stock shocks and struts go for if they were removed at 20k miles? And what about the springs?

Dumb to sell them. I plan on keeping the car for a very long time. These parts are just sitting in storage. If it's decent money it could help pay some things off.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How much do stock shocks and struts go for if they were removed at 20k miles? And what about the springs?

Dumb to sell them. I plan on keeping the car for a very long time. These parts are just sitting in storage. If it's decent money it could help pay some things off.
I've had the original struts and shocks for 127,000 miles and I'm just next week going to replace the struts because they are leaking. Rebound control and tire wear are still fine.